homemade antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

N_Jay

jamiewmorris said:
I was wanting to know if anyone has an ideas on making of a homemade antenna, especially for the 800 mhz trunking.

if you only want one band, just make a 1/4 wave whip, or a 1/2 wave dipole.

If you need more help, I would pick up an ARRL book on antennas.

LarrySC

A wet kite string is the best homemade antenna I ever built. Dont waste your time on such a project. Put your efforts toward working and earning money to buy a quality built antenna that will work.

N

N_Jay

LarrySC said:
A wet kite string is the best homemade antenna I ever built. Dont waste your time on such a project. Put your efforts toward working and earning money to buy a quality built antenna that will work.

Better yet;
Put your time into understanding how an antenna works, so whether you build it or buy it, you will know it is more than just "snake oil"! :twisted:

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Before you consider building / buying an antenna for 800 MHz., give some thought to how you want to use the antenna.

Do you want to monitor one system / site, or multiple systems / sites.

And, do you want to monitor multiple systems / sites simultaneously.

A ground plane will provide the best coverage in all directions, but that might affect your reception if you have a local cellular / PCS / Nextel site that could cause interference.

A yagi / directional antenna can provide good performance in a particular direction, but might not be suitable if you want to monitor sites in two different directions.

A little reminder ... use the best low-loss coax you can afford with your 800 antenna. Line loss can really add up as the coax length increases.

Jeff Multer
Fort Mill, S.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.