Homemade antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading something about a homemade antenna from some other forum. Anyway the guy made this antenna that he was able to listen to frequncies from atleast 500 miles away with a antenna he made. Does anybody know how to make an antenna such as this one. I have the radioshack pro-197 scanner too.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is possibly due to some skip conditions - certainly a better antenna is a big help (as is height, among lots of other factors), but under normal conditions, 500 miles is a stretch, even on VHF lo band. Another possibility is linked repeaters, such as IRLP or Echolink systems found in the amateur service. Even wide area coverage repeaters (repeaters that cover a large geographic area) would make this possible.

So on a truthful meter, it rates about a 2 out of 5 - a better antenna is one step, but only one...best regards..Mike

This is possibly due to some skip conditions - certainly a better antenna is a big help (as is height, among lots of other factors), but under normal conditions, 500 miles is a stretch, even on VHF lo band. Another possibility is linked repeaters, such as IRLP or Echolink systems found in the amateur service. Even wide area coverage repeaters (repeaters that cover a large geographic area) would make this possible.

So on a truthful meter, it rates about a 2 out of 5 - a better antenna is one step, but only one...best regards..Mike

Alright thanks i really didn't think 500 was possible but thanks for the advice !

benbenrf

Depending on the antenna type, propagation conditions, Tx power output, freq etc etc .....transmissions can travel 1000's of miles. Last year I spent about 20 minutes listening to 2 guys on VHF driving combine harvesters in Ohio @ 2am in the morning their time (I'm in the UK!) Whats that distance? - around 4000miles or so!

..... and then there will be occassions when you can't hear 10watt VHF Tx from 10miles down the road!

There are many variables: receiver sensitivity is another, propagation conditions in the atmosphere for the frequency been monitored are another (and they change constantly - even activity on the surface of the Sun effects what can be heard, where and from where).

.... its not just your antenna.

K9WG

... snip ... Last year I spent about 20 minutes listening to 2 guys on VHF driving combine harvesters in Ohio @ 2am in the morning their time (I'm in the UK!) Whats that distance? - around 4000miles or so! ... snip ....

VHF high (150MHz) of VHF low (50MHz)? Makes a big difference.

As far as the OPs question, there is not an antenna that will pick up 500 miles VHF on a regular basis. The only way is during such phenomenon as discribed by previous posts. If someone says they have an antenna that consistently receives 500 mile away then they are listening on HF or they are pulling your leg.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The might be able to get that kind of distance, on a regular basis, if they happen to live somewhere where tall mountains overlook flat land. Even making use of those geological advantages, the curvature of the Earth would be an issue.

I agree this person almost must be listening to HF.

Depending on the antenna type, propagation conditions, Tx power output, freq etc etc .....transmissions can travel 1000's of miles. Last year I spent about 20 minutes listening to 2 guys on VHF driving combine harvesters in Ohio @ 2am in the morning their time (I'm in the UK!) Whats that distance? - around 4000miles or so!

..... and then there will be occassions when you can't hear 10watt VHF Tx from 10miles down the road!

There are many variables: receiver sensitivity is another, propagation conditions in the atmosphere for the frequency been monitored are another (and they change constantly - even activity on the surface of the Sun effects what can be heard, where and from where).

.... its not just your antenna.

Wow! thats amazing 4000 miles at least ! thats pretty sweet i wish i could do something like that !lol

Status
Not open for further replies.