HP-1: HomePatrol-1 2.06.xx Open Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkelso

Happy to report that 2.06.06 has been running all week with Zero Problems.

Upman don't drink the water over there. :)

JamesO

Thanks for the update, I will be reflashing shortly.

I will hopefully be able to confirm things are different within a few days.

Later next week I will be putting a lot of butt time in the truck and will have the GPS connected to the HP1, but will also be bringing the 436HP in case the HP1 still has issues. I have about 8 states and 2500 miles to play with these as well as a lot of different systems to monitor.

I have had a unique schedule for the past few weeks chauffeuring my son to Cross Country practices 30-40 minutes away and need to burn a few hours, so I have been brings the HP1 and 436HP with me.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I decided to give it a go and did the update to 2.06.06, got the same error. Like you said, pulling the batteries, reseating the card, and trying again seemed to work.

By the way folks, for anyone who hasn't updated firmware to the "logging" version yet, this blue screen only seems to appear because the 'debug' folder doesn't yet exist in your radio.

When copying the 2.06.x firmware over to the radio, go to the folder which contains the 'firmware' folder that you just put the firmware into, and create an empty folder called 'debug'. Then it won't "crash" at the end of the firmware update.

Obviously if you already have a "debug" folder, it's not necessary to do this.

mrkelso

V2.06.08 has been running for a few hours with no problems. The audio on the New Jersey State Police bands sounds clean. Best i ever heard it.

JamesO

As a note, I have V2.06.08 running, but have not had a chance to go anywhere, just been here in the house. I have my 996XT running here as a reference as well.

I have noticed an issue with one primary system I listen to here.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6957

Seems if I "Scan" the system, things work pretty well, however, if I "Hold" on the system, then the scanner has a hard time decoding. I will see TG pop up, then I may get audio, I may get choppy audio, I may get occasional good audio.

I can decode some other neighboring P25 systems with much lower signal level that I usually did not recall picking up, but can somewhat reliably pick them up in "Scan" mode now.

I for now have a gut feeling that this latest version of Firmware has some issue, not sure I can fully put my finger on it yet. Will need some more time with it to try and gather more info. I will hopefully have some logs to post shortly.

Overall the decoding is sounding good. But there is something funny going on about staying locked when the scanner actually stops on a transmission, seems worse when "Holding" on System/Dept/TG?? Almost like the scanner is not able to find the correct TG channel/frequency at times?

JamesO

Just another update on the Beta 2.06.08. Seems to have resolved the Audio Mute problem where the scanner would stop on a TG but not have any audio available.

Still testing on a number of different system and may have more concrete feedback later in the week. Still not sure everything with the Beta 2.06.08 is 100%, I am seeing some other funny things I do not understand yet, but I think I still need more time with this version.

I plan on running this scanner on a 2500 road trip with the GPS function enabled. I think I will have 2 SD cards, one with the most recent "official" firmware release and one with the lasted Beta release.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Folks, I've cleaned up a bunch of off topic comments from the thread again. Please keep the following in mind from the OP when posting to this thread:

6) Please treat this as a "flame-free" and "harping-free" thread. Feel free to ask follow-up questions and expand on your reporting, here. Our engineers, who don't speak English as a native language, are also going to try to follow your comments, so simple, clear, concise reports are appreciated. Unlike other threads where I leave moderation policy completely alone, I'm going to ask moderators to strictly moderate this thread to keep it on-topic, helpful, and flame and harp free.

dmg1969

I'm going to download and test the latest 2.06.08 beta firmware over lunch. The simulcast distortion has been driving me nuts lately. Can someone post the link to download previous firmware versions in case I have a problem? I looked and can't seem to locate the link again. Thanks!

jasonhouk

I'm going to download and test the latest 2.06.08 beta firmware over lunch. The simulcast distortion has been driving me nuts lately. Can someone post the link to download previous firmware versions in case I have a problem? I looked and can't seem to locate the link again. Thanks!

You could always use Sentinel to revert back to the latest non-beta firmware.

There's also the option of going to (Uniden unofficial) FW - OpenUniden and downloading the firmware. Event though unofficial I've never experienced any issues with this sites firmwares.

J

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
HP-1E with Firmware 2.06.08 - is a keeper

I've been running firmware 2.06.08 for several days and it's seems to be one of the better versions if not the best .Running along side of my 996XT on the same antenna I haven't come across any issues. Very stable with minimal simulcast distortion. **My HP-1E has the 50G Filter**

JamesO

Traveling with my HP-1E with the 50G filter, monitoring the first EDACS systems and it the scanner appears to be doing quite well on the EDACS system. I will try and run my 436HP to compare against, but I am not seeing/hearing anything unusual with the EDACS system I am monitoring. I have not EDACS system in my immediate area to monitor. Also this firmware may no having any impact on EDACS or analog trunked systems, but thought I would at least report what I am finding.

As for simulcast issues, not sure there is a lot that the firmware can do in bad cases of simulcast. So not sure anyone can expect miracles from an updated/tweaked firmware for simulcast issues.

Overall 2.06.08 does appear to be the best sounding/performing firmware so far IMHO. I will be traveling quite a bit more over the next week and hopefully have more systems to monitor and more feedback.

The only thing I am seeing and I do not know if this is different, the scanner will stop on a TG and you will not hear any voice traffic. Using the Error display you can see that this is a channel allocation but no voice traffic is actually active. Sometimes this may be at the end of a transmission, so the scanner stops on a TG, then resumes scanning without voice traffic.

I do not recall seeing this much before or on my other scanners. So this may be a slight change in the firmware. Maybe it would be helpful even if the scanner is stopped on a channel allocation, that somehow it does not show the TG until actual voice traffic picks up. This may been part of what I originally mentioned that something did not seem correct but I could not put my finger on what was going on.

I will need to watch this behavior across other systems and see if this is a common issue or something on specific systems.

MikeyC

I had a chance to travel through some simulcast sites on the statewide P25 system here in Illinois ( STARCOM21 Statewide Illinois P25 Trunking System, Statewide, Illinois - Scanner Frequencies ) over the past few days and I'm still having issues with decoding using firmware 2.06.08 on towers 101, 102, and 113. When on the outskirts of the sites I would get *some* reception, but as I traveled further into the areas, the HomePatrol went silent.

I had a BCD396XT with me connected to the same kind of antenna (Maxrad 7603S) located on the opposite side of the trunk and it was full of activity on the same sites.

It's kind of hard to explain, but the signal meter on the scanner would fluctuate between full strength and nothing on the simulcast towers.

What was interesting, however, is that if I put the HP-1 into Analyze System mode in an area where it was silent (or near silent) on the receiving end, it would show plenty of activity and not seem to drop the control channel.

northzone

Premium Subscriber
I had a chance to travel through some simulcast sites on the statewide P25 system here in Illinois ( STARCOM21 Statewide Illinois P25 Trunking System, Statewide, Illinois - Scanner Frequencies ) over the past few days and I'm still having issues with decoding using firmware 2.06.08 on towers 101, 102, and 113. When on the outskirts of the sites I would get *some* reception, but as I traveled further into the areas, the HomePatrol went silent.

I had a BCD396XT with me connected to the same kind of antenna (Maxrad 7603S) located on the opposite side of the trunk and it was full of activity on the same sites.

It's kind of hard to explain, but the signal meter on the scanner would fluctuate between full strength and nothing on the simulcast towers.

What was interesting, however, is that if I put the HP-1 into Analyze System mode in an area where it was silent (or near silent) on the receiving end, it would show plenty of activity and not seem to drop the control channel.

This is just what I reported in post 22, five weeks ago. Still seeing this on latest version also.

AuntEnvy

I'd like to be able to try the beta releases but I'm afraid I won't be able to switch back to other versions because I can't seem to find Uniden's firmware links.

Status
Not open for further replies.