Homepatrol-1 and Speco SPAES4 AES4 10W Amplified speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Good evening!

For the life of me, I can't get these two to work together?

I've powered the speco to the cigeratte lighter, and plugged into the headphone jack of the homepatrol.

And nothing complete silence, I even spliced the wires a little bit more on the wires that go into the cigarette dc adapter?!

I'm lost! Is there a power button somewhere on the speaker, that I don't see?

Thank you!

jfhtm350

Where is the fuse to the speaker? Check it. Sometimes they are hidden in the cigarette lighter plug.
Are you using a mono wire from the scanner to the speaker? Crank the volume up all the way on the scanner and listen to see if you can barely hear anything. Be careful of getting your ears blasted.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Where is the fuse to the speaker? Check it. Sometimes they are hidden in the cigarette lighter plug.
Are you using a mono wire from the scanner to the speaker? Crank the volume up all the way on the scanner and listen to see if you can barely hear anything. Be careful of getting your ears blasted.

The fuse is in the cord that came with the speco speaker.

I'm just using the wire that's hard wired from the speaker, I'm assuming it's mono, as it only fits into the headphone jack of the homepatrol-1.

I'm really lost on this. Something so simple, is becoming quite a chore!

jfhtm350

You should be using a stereo to mono adaptor on the headphone jack.

Check this post from Upman:

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...0355-home-patrol-1-questions.html#post2002286

Didnt know the home patrol had a stereo out. Most have a mono out.
A male stereo plug will have 3 sections at the tip. It kind of looks like this:
<=|=|===XXXXX
A mono plug only has two sections and looks like this:
<=|====XXXXX

A mono plug will fit into a stereo hole and a stereo plug will fit into a mono hole. So you will have to make sure what your connecting to what.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Oh ok so I need stereo to mono adapter from radio shack, and that will solve my problem?

Thanks!

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
I'm honestly not sure!

Here's a picture of the tip from the speco amplified speaker.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 213

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Got them! Bought all of them on clearance at radio shack for .47!!

It now works like it's supposed to!

Thanks everybody

Have a good weekend:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 208

jfhtm350

According to the pic, he is using a mono male into the scanner and stereo female to the speaker. That is strange that its working perfectly. Not doubting your word on the scanner being stereo but I am now scratching my head. Looks like it would have a scratchy noise at minimum coming through the speaker.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
According to the pic, he is using a mono male into the scanner and stereo female to the speaker. That is strange that its working perfectly. Not doubting your word on the scanner being stereo but I am now scratching my head. Looks like it would have a scratchy noise at minimum coming through the speaker.

Not sure why his setup didn't work to begin with, but with those adaptors shown above (which are opposite of those recommended for speakers with a mono plug), 1/2 of the audio output from the scanner is still being shorted by using the mono plug into the stereo output jack on the scanner.

Did you read UPMan's post on that situation at this link, stating that the scanner headphone jack is stereo:

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...0355-home-patrol-1-questions.html#post2002286

With the correct adaptor, his volume may well be even louder.

RadiopShack 1/8" Mono Jack to 1/8" Stereo Plug Adapter - RadioShack.com

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Now you all got me confused! I'm getting lots of noise with either adapter!

So which one do I use?!

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 219

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Can you believe after all this! The speco works now directly plugged into the homepatrol!

jfhtm350

Now you all got me confused! I'm getting lots of noise with either adapter!

So which one do I use?!

Thanks

Which plugin does your speaker have on it? In your pic the tip on the left is mono and the tip on the right is stereo.

I just realized I got my wires crossed. Handheld scanners with a headphone jack are stereo. Dont know why I was thinking most were mono but the mobile scanners have a mono out along with a headphone jack. Just to clear that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.