HomePatrol 1 Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfish2913

I would like to know is there a better antenna that you can recommend for HomePatrol 1 that will increase my range and give better reception also that I can put outside also for that SMA type connection.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Well the two common used antennas for scanning would be the Diamond D-130J and the Antennacraft ST2.

Diamond D-130J D-130NJ Discone Antenna

Antennacraft ST2 Scanner Antenna, Antenna Craft ST-2

You would also need good coax.For a run of 30 feet or less I would get RG-8X coax,but if its more then 30 feet I would get RG-8U coax.A coax jumper cable would also be needed to reduce strain on the scanners SMA connection because you will also have to get some connection parts to have the coax attach to your scanner.

Coaxial Cable, Coax Cable Preassembled

Maybe someone that uses a Home Patrol 1 with a outdoor antenna setup could chime in and provide more info since I don't have that kind of scanner.

Last edited:

celsasser

Premium Subscriber
I use the 2 antennas that you posted about; the ST-2 on the tower outside my workshop garage and the DJ130 discone on the tower next to the shack in the house. Both work out nicely for receiving scanned signals on the HP-1; they are at about 30'. I'm using about 40' of quad shield RG-6 on the ST-2 with an F conn on the end; and about 40' of 9913 on the discone with adapters.

Now having said that, the discone seems to be built better IMO. If the ice/wind takes out the ST-2 I'd put up another DJ130. Spring stainless steel may bow with ice and wind here in the midwest, but i don't see it breaking. Oh yeah, I used loc-tite on the hardware of the discone, it was the only weakness that I could identify.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I should also note that RG-8U coax is quite thick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.