HP-1: HomePatrol 1 Bad Reception.

Crank1

Hey all.
I have a HomePatrol 1 that has a tough time picking up signals. With the normal antenna supplied with the radio, I can hear some limited calls that sound scratchy. Compared to My HomePatrol 2 sounds strong. I can hear a strong weather channel signal on the HP1. Not sure the transmitter location.
The attenuation is off. The squelch is 2 bars. The range is at 22. I’ve tried 3 different antennas including a mobile whip.
I’m not sure where to start. I read here to check internal antenna connections. Is that a normal problem and is it tough to do?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Crank1

Are you using the same favorites lists and profile for both scanners?
I don’t think so. I’ll double check.
I’m not sure how to make a favorite list on either scanner. Sad, I know.

Crank1

Lock both scanners to one system or site and then switch position and antennas of the scanners. That will prove if there's something wrong with your HP-1. Check that the attenuator are not enabled on the HP-1.

/Ubbe
I’ll give locking both on one site a shot.
I did check the attenuator on the HP-1. It’s set to off.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Maybe horribly obvious, but the HP1 is an ancient device, at least in the electronics world. I had two and in the past year one just faded away, so to speak. Sensitivity declined dramatically to the point it barely received NOAA. Both were on the same antenna with a quality distribution device. I even swapped antenna ports so to rule that out. All this, just to say it may have served you well but is now scanning into the sunset!

Crank1

Maybe horribly obvious, but the HP1 is an ancient device, at least in the electronics world. I had two and in the past year one just faded away, so to speak. Sensitivity declined dramatically to the point it barely received NOAA. Both were on the same antenna with a quality distribution device. I even swapped antenna ports so to rule that out. All this, just to say it may have served you well but is now scanning into the sunset!
Yep. I understand and agree. I thought about taking the HP-1 out to my shop and leaving the HP-2 in the house.
Is it worth sending the HP-1 to the Uniden Repair shop or some other repair person?

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm....not sure if the cost of $80 plug shipping both ways is worth it. I hated to part with mine, but found a HP2 for a very good price and it now sits in the same stand, same place, etc. When the last one dies, it's probably a 996P2 replacement. I have one of those on the desk also and really like it. Plus the programming with a third party software is easier, at least to me, than Sentinel.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yep. I understand and agree. I thought about taking the HP-1 out to my shop and leaving the HP-2 in the house.
Is it worth sending the HP-1 to the Uniden Repair shop or some other repair person?
Your repair cost would be $79.95, plus $15 for return shipping after repair, totaling $94.95, plus your cost to send it to Uniden. That's likely to be $15 to $20, since you want to use a service that provides a tracking number; that would include FedEx or UPS ground, or USPS.

Whether it's worth it or not depends on what systems you would be using it for. Do you have enough conventional systems, for analog, digital, and air frequencies, to be useful? Is there a specific system, trunked (but not P25 Phase II or DMR) or conventional, that you would like to monitor more closely? I 'park' my HP-1 on some of the few remaining frequencies in use locally, that are not DMR or P25 Phase II. I have two 396XTs, and two PSR500's. For both models, one of the pair (of each model) is non-functional. But I have not sent them for repair as I have more than enough available scanners to cover what systems they could be used for.

Crank1

Hmmm....not sure if the cost of $80 plug shipping both ways is worth it. I hated to part with mine, but found a HP2 for a very good price and it now sits in the same stand, same place, etc. When the last one dies, it's probably a 996P2 replacement. I have one of those on the desk also and really like it. Plus the programming with a third party software is easier, at least to me, than Sentinel.
Yeah… You’re right. It may not be worth it.
Does anyone know where I can get a Service Manual for the HP-1&2? I have an electronics background. Maybe I can check the rf front end.

Crank1

Your repair cost would be $79.95, plus $15 for return shipping after repair, totaling $94.95, plus your cost to send it to Uniden. That's likely to be $15 to $20, since you want to use a service that provides a tracking number; that would include FedEx or UPS ground, or USPS.

Whether it's worth it or not depends on what systems you would be using it for. Do you have enough conventional systems, for analog, digital, and air frequencies, to be useful? Is there a specific system, trunked (but not P25 Phase II or DMR) or conventional, that you would like to monitor more closely? I 'park' my HP-1 on some of the few remaining frequencies in use locally, that are not DMR or P25 Phase II. I have two 396XTs, and two PSR500's. For both models, one of the pair (of each model) is non-functional. But I have not sent them for repair as I have more than enough available scanners to cover what systems they could be used for.
Thanks all! You’ve all been top notch!
The price to fix it is sounding a bit tough for what I use it. I do have an old portable and base Uniden. They are not trunking tho.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks all! You’ve all been top notch!
The price to fix it is sounding a bit tough for what I use it. I do have an old portable and base Uniden. They are not trunking tho.
I’d be hesitant about spending the money to send it in, unless I really needed an additional scanner capable of handling P25 Phase I systems. However, I would note that the repair cost is a flat fee. It doesn’t go up even if the display or main circuit board has to be replaced.

Ubbe

HP-1 probably use a very similar receiver design as other Uniden scanners. Why re-invent the wheel several times. It's probably using that BFP420 transistor at its frontend.

/Ubbe