Homepatrol 2...don't need but want

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeBeCinYa

I have no reason to buy the Homepatrol 2, but I am intrigued by it. I currently have RS Pro-668 I use daily for Phase I in my area.

One feature I like, but want more real world clarity on is the GPS feature. From what I understand, it sounds like if you have the GPS receiver antenna hooked up, you can basically drive around from city to city and it will pick up automatically local channels? I travel a lot so this seems appealing, but real world use is what I am looking for.

Also, anyone running an external vehicle mounted antenna, if so what works best, and does it really make big difference vs supplied antenna?

Any other compelling reasons to buy appreciated!

marksmith

I have no reason to buy the Homepatrol 2, but I am intrigued by it. I currently have RS Pro-668 I use daily for Phase I in my area.

One feature I like, but want more real world clarity on is the GPS feature. From what I understand, it sounds like if you have the GPS receiver antenna hooked up, you can basically drive around from city to city and it will pick up automatically local channels? I travel a lot so this seems appealing, but real world use is what I am looking for.

Also, anyone running an external vehicle mounted antenna, if so what works best, and does it really make big difference vs supplied antenna?

Any other compelling reasons to buy appreciated!
I run an HP2 with GPS on a regular basis. In one vehicle with a terrific Laird Motorola mount external anrenna, and in the other vehicle using either the standard or RS800 antenna.

The external works a little better on trips, but both setups work just fine.

On regular trips I have favorites lists that are location controlled by the GPS, and on other trips I just use the full database and limit it using the service codes.

I consider the GPS to be required equipment when on trips, and especially where I normally don't go and already know the systems.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Real world, you simply set the types of channels to monitor (based on the RRDB service tag) and drive. The GPS feeds your current location to the scanner and continuously updates the scan list based on precisely where you are. Here is an article that explains precisely how the location feature works: How it Works: Location, Location, Location

Unlike competitive models that simply look at what county you are in and load that county (when you enter a zip code), we select channels that are on nearby systems regardless of county boundary. An example I use (because I live in this area) is being in southeast Tarrant county. With ours, the scanner will select (among others) Grand Prairie, which is in Dallas County, but won't select Azle, which is in far NorthWest Tarrant County and is both difficult to actually receive and mostly irrelevant to where you are.

With the GPS connected, you can basically drive hands-off from NY to LA and continuously be hearing agencies relevant to where you are.

Note that this seamless operation is also true on the BCD436HP and BCD536HP. Actually, all of our trunking scanners can be controlled by GPS, but these are the only models that include (and can manage) all known radio systems in the US/Canada. Other models (BCD996P2, BCD325P2, etc) also automagically turn stuff on/off based on where you are, but you must program the systems beforehand.

WeBeCinYa

Thanks to you both, great information! This sounds like a awesome scanner. Few more questions...

Do they make a car DC power adapter?
Laird Motorola mount external antenna--do you have a link to where to buy?
Does either the BCD436HP and BCD536HP have place to plug in GPS?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Do they make a car DC power adapter?
The 536HP does not need an adapter, it runs directly off 12VDC. The 486HP runs off either AA batteries or USB power, so any USB cigarette lighter plug will work.

Yes, they both do. It is required for location-based scanning to work when you are traveling.

WeBeCinYa

Yes, they both do. It is required for location-based scanning to work when you are traveling.

I cannot locate a place to plug in external GPS for the BCD436HP in any of the pics, is the GPS antenna internal on this one?

WeBeCinYa

Ok now I am thinking the BCD436HP makes the most sense for me after consideration. Mainly because it seems better for taking with me on the belt.
Help me understand. Does the 436HP basically function like the HP2? Outside of the color screen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yes.
Similar functionality, but in a walkie-talkie format.

WeBeCinYa

What AA rechargeable batteries are recommended for the 436HP? Uniden's site says 1800 MAH Battery but it shows a 2300 MAH in the picture. Also, does this unit come with a charger or does a typical USB charger (like for an iphone) work with supplied cable?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
What AA rechargeable batteries are recommended for the 436HP? Uniden's site says 1800 MAH Battery but it shows a 2300 MAH in the picture. Also, does this unit come with a charger or does a typical USB charger (like for an iphone) work with supplied cable?
I get good battery like with the Eneloops (preferably, the Eneloops Pro version). The included batteries are 2300Mah.

The scanner does not come with a charger/ac adapter. But yes, you can use a standard USB charger and the USB cable that ships with the scanner. For the HP-2, if your USB charger/adapter is 1.0amp or more, you can both scan and charge batteries at the same time. I prefer to charge batteries in an external charger, but do use a USB adapter to provide power when home or in my truck.For the 436HP, you can't charge the batteries while scanning. It's either charge batteries, or scan.

Last edited:

WeBeCinYa

Thanks to everyone for the advise/help! It looks like I will pull the trigger today on a 436HP. One thing I didn't realize, and wanted some clarity, is why does the GPS antenna require power?

phask

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to everyone for the advise/help! It looks like I will pull the trigger today on a 436HP. One thing I didn't realize, and wanted some clarity, is why does the GPS antenna require power?

Because it's not an antenna, it's a receiver.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Maybe too late...but I have two HP1 and now a HP2 and they work great....looked hard at the 436 but just like the larger screen, especially while travelling. easier to see what you are hearing. I also consider the GPS function a huge step forward in scanning. Plus when I get to my location, I check for the zip code on the hotel telephone, punch it in and am good for wherever I am...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Plus when I get to my location, I check for the zip code on the hotel telephone, punch it in and am good for wherever I am...

Don't.

If you don't type in a ZIP code, the scanner assumes its location is the last coordinates it got from the GPS. If you had the GPS plugged in and running while traveling, the scanner already knows where you are, and typing in a ZIP code is completely pointless.

marksmith

Don't.

If you don't type in a ZIP code, the scanner assumes its location is the last coordinates it got from the GPS. If you had the GPS plugged in and running while traveling, the scanner already knows where you are, and typing in a ZIP code is completely pointless.
Exactly

Mark

WeBeCinYa

Just pulled the trigger on the BCD436HP and the GPS receiver. Looking forward to getting this and starting the learning curve. I am coming from a RS Pro 668, which took me some time to figure out the programming, but now I am very comfortable with. What is the programming software for this unit by the way?

marksmith

Just pulled the trigger on the BCD436HP and the GPS receiver. Looking forward to getting this and starting the learning curve. I am coming from a RS Pro 668, which took me some time to figure out the programming, but now I am very comfortable with. What is the programming software for this unit by the way?
Sentinel for x36 radios. (Not to be confused with the version for HP2 or HP1 radios)

You can download it ahead of time right now and start your learning curve before you get the radio. You can diwnload, install, update to the most current database, and start learning how to create favorites lists. In fact, if you do a search on YouTube there are some tutorials.

I also have the 668 and psr800, and just my opinion, but I prefer the Sentinel software over iScan or ezscan.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.