HP-2: Homepatrol 2 issues compared to 436HP

Clats97

Premium Subscriber
Why would you go outside with the HP2…the 436 is designed as a portable, handheld scanner! Might wanna rethink the use of each…then again the HP2 is some pretty old tech for a scanner, practically useless on Phase2 systems. I have 2 and had to realize that unless it was hooked to an outside antenna it was not much good so bought a 325P2 to carry around!
if you spent $600 on it get a refund and buy a SDS100!!!
i have a 436hp thats my "on the go" scanner, and the HP2 is currently docked and plugged into the discone antenna. But thats beside the point. id kinda like this thing to receive properly in case i end up needing to bring it outside with me. its failing to receive conventional frequencies, so this isnt p25 following problems or anything like that. The HP2 literally only works if plugged into the discone.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
i have a 436hp thats my "on the go" scanner, and the HP2 is currently docked and plugged into the discone antenna. But thats beside the point. id kinda like this thing to receive properly in case i end up needing to bring it outside with me. its failing to receive conventional frequencies, so this isnt p25 following problems or anything like that. The HP2 literally only works if plugged into the discone.
This sounds more like an antenna issue, not a problem with the HP-2 itself. Since it appears to receive well when connected to an external antenna, I'd lean more towards a reception issue rather than the scanner itself being defective.

I asked this before: Does you house have metal siding, or perhaps foil-backed insulation in the walls. Either of these will reduce the signal strength that the HP-2 receives. And you are talking about the first floor, not a basement? Is that correct?

I see that the attenuator was mentioned previously. Have you also checked to make sure that the squelch has not been bumped to a very high setting?

And, you have also tried the antenna for your 436HP (the one used if you are away from home) on the HP-2 with no change?

Is your home in a low area, or surrounded by hills or other structures close by? If that's the case, you might not be getting a good signal inside, But the discone, mounted higher, might be in a stronger signal path, & thus it works. If you are in a low area, or surrounded by multiple other homes or other structures, you might take the HP-2 for a ride around the area, to see if it works in a different position.

Clats97

Premium Subscriber
This sounds more like an antenna issue, not a problem with the HP-2 itself. Since it appears to receive well when connected to an external antenna, I'd lean more towards a reception issue rather than the scanner itself being defective.

I asked this before: Does you house have metal siding, or perhaps foil-backed insulation in the walls. Either of these will reduce the signal strength that the HP-2 receives. And you are talking about the first floor, not a basement? Is that correct?

I see that the attenuator was mentioned previously. Have you also checked to make sure that the squelch has not been bumped to a very high setting?

And, you have also tried the antenna for your 436HP (the one used if you are away from home) on the HP-2 with no change?

Is your home in a low area, or surrounded by hills or other structures close by? If that's the case, you might not be getting a good signal inside, But the discone, mounted higher, might be in a stronger signal path, & thus it works. If you are in a low area, or surrounded by multiple other homes or other structures, you might take the HP-2 for a ride around the area, to see if it works in a different position.
Sorry i just saw this now for some reason. I have attached my Comet W100RX to the HP2, doesnt receive well. Same with stock antenna. Doesnt receive well. On the discone, receives basically everything. With stock antenna on i DO hear things but nowhere near as much as i do on the discone. Squelch is at 2 and ive tried dropping it to 1, no change. I am 4 levels up in an apartment and my room is closest to the exterior of the building. Its unfortunate because the only thing the HP2 is better than the 436 in is system analysis. Sucks cause i wanted to be able to bring it with me for that purpose.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Sorry i just saw this now for some reason. I have attached my Comet W100RX to the HP2, doesnt receive well. Same with stock antenna. Doesnt receive well. On the discone, receives basically everything. With stock antenna on i DO hear things but nowhere near as much as i do on the discone. Squelch is at 2 and ive tried dropping it to 1, no change. I am 4 levels up in an apartment and my room is closest to the exterior of the building. Its unfortunate because the only thing the HP2 is better than the 436 in is system analysis. Sucks cause i wanted to be able to bring it with me for that purpose.
Since you are in an apartment, is your discone antenna on some sort of metal stand in your unit (or on the balcony), or did you manage to get permission to mount it on the buildings roof?

Depending on the construction of the building, the steel structure in the walls may be a large part of your problems.

Clats97

Premium Subscriber
Since you are in an apartment, is your discone antenna on some sort of metal stand in your unit (or on the balcony), or did you manage to get permission to mount it on the buildings roof?

Depending on the construction of the building, the steel structure in the walls may be a large part of your problems.
It's just on the balcony. But I don't have problems with the discone. Only with other antennas. It works perfectly when connected to the discone, when listening to fleetnet there is constant traffic, all day all night. If I put ANY OTHER ANTENNA on it, it will receive probably 25% of what it does with the discone.

Clats97

Premium Subscriber
I was gonna post a video of the scanner, but it won't let me. But I'll reiterate :

Absolutely trash reception with HP2 and stock antenna, trash reception with high gain whip antenna, trash reception with aftermarket antenna similar to stock, trash reception with Comet W100RX (which GREATLY improved reception on my 436HP...) BUT amazing reception with discone antenna. I have played with range, attenuator, squelch, and all the settings. No mas

Clats97

Premium Subscriber

I was gonna post a video of the scanner, but it won't let me. But I'll reiterate :

Absolutely trash reception with HP2 and stock antenna, trash reception with high gain whip antenna, trash reception with aftermarket antenna similar to stock, trash reception with Comet W100RX (which GREATLY improved reception on my 436HP...) BUT amazing reception with discone antenna. I have played with range, attenuator, squelch, and all the settings. No mas

tvengr

Well Known Member
If using an adapter on the antenna input, try removing the adapter and sticking about an 18" piece of wire into the center of the SMA connector. Check the center pin on the adapter.

Last edited:

brianw549

Check to see if the Home patrol unit has AGC, automatic gain control, and make sure it's turned off had this problem with a different Uniden scanner and wasn't receiving good now it's great.

Clats97

Premium Subscriber
I looked on the database and it shows ottowa is encrypted. If it's not my apolgies.
No Ottawa full system is not encrypted. Only police, transit constables, and some ems channels. There are plenty of departments and channels that are not encrypted. But it's not just the city of Ottawa system that isn't working - this is speaking in general.

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
No Ottawa full system is not encrypted. Only police, transit constables, and some ems channels. There are plenty of departments and channels that are not encrypted. But it's not just the city of Ottawa system that isn't working - this is speaking in general.
And Fire Department is ENC. If you are talking about Canada.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Late to the conversation, but it's possible the Discone coax connector (or adapter) expanded the SMA connector to the point stock SMAs will no longer make contact - making it appear that those antennas do not work. If this is the case, the SMA connector may need repaired and the adapter should be thrown away so it does not damage any other connectors.