HP-2: HomePatrol 2 SD CARD FAILURE (PATTERN ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Station51

About a year ago I purchased a HP2 new and within a couple of weeks the SD card failed as many have been reported here. I replaced it with a 8GB and it worked fine for several months.

NOW..........Perhaps a coincidence ??? When the first one failed I had been recording/playing back radio traffic. In the back of my mind I thought that perhaps the radio doesn't like that function and maybe that's why it failed. Goofy thought huh ?

TODAY, I was recording some unusual covert radio traffic for the first time since I replaced the SD card.
Wait for it............YUP the replacement card failed (corrupt file etc) Can it be?

I removed and reformatted the card, cleared all the user data, reloaded my saved profile list and everything is PEACHY again. I can't help but wonder if the recording function is somehow related. (Very small amt of disc space used so it wasn't because it was full).

Has anyone ELSE had a similar experience with a HP2 or other UNIDEN scanner ??

marksmith

About a year ago I purchased a HP2 new and within a couple of weeks the SD card failed as many have been reported here. I replaced it with a 8GB and it worked fine for several months.

NOW..........Perhaps a coincidence ??? When the first one failed I had been recording/playing back radio traffic. In the back of my mind I thought that perhaps the radio doesn't like that function and maybe that's why it failed. Goofy thought huh ?

TODAY, I was recording some unusual covert radio traffic for the first time since I replaced the SD card.
Wait for it............YUP the replacement card failed (corrupt file etc) Can it be?

I removed and reformatted the card, cleared all the user data, reloaded my saved profile list and everything is PEACHY again. I can't help but wonder if the recording function is somehow related. (Very small amt of disc space used so it wasn't because it was full).

Has anyone ELSE had a similar experience with a HP2 or other UNIDEN scanner ??
Absolutely related.

The radio is writing to the SD card while recording. That's where it records to. An SD card crash is another way of saying that the card lost its formatting.

Almost always, when an SD card fails it will be while it is being written to.

Understand, as long as you don't have the replay function disabled, the radio is writing to the card continuously so it can carry out the replay function when asked. Any time you avoid a channel, or change something about the settings, or anything similar, you are writing to the card. It is accessing and erasing from the card when you tell it no, not to save the recorded stuff when you end recording.

So... you are writing to the card pretty often, generally continuously, and doing so obviously when recording.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

Station51

got it

Thanks Mark
A light went on in my head when I read your post!
I left out that I had been dumping into the radio
(writing to the card ) about every 5 min or so as I would add or delete a group.
First time I have had the time to REALLY get to know this scanner!
What you said makes 110% sense
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.