homepatrol 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

senator151

Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2016
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
southern Ohio
Brand new to this type of scanner, need help. How do I correctly update the firm ware? When I plug it to my computer the screen should go white and then follow prompts on computer. It never goes white and only asked for mass storage or dc charge. Any help would be great,
 

chief21

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
2,124
Reaction score
859
Location
Western NC (Summer); Tampa Bay FL (Winter)
Brand new to this type of scanner, need help. How do I correctly update the firm ware? When I plug it to my computer the screen should go white and then follow prompts on computer. It never goes white and only asked for mass storage or dc charge. Any help would be great,

The HP2 needs to be in mass storage mode in order to communicate with the PC and load frequencies or firmware updates. Once connected, use the SENTINEL application to update the HP2 as desired.
 

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 15, 2007
Messages
7,646
Reaction score
3,918
Brand new to this type of scanner, need help. How do I correctly update the firm ware? When I plug it to my computer the screen should go white and then follow prompts on computer. It never goes white and only asked for mass storage or dc charge. Any help would be great,

In case you have misplaced your owner's manual, you can get a copy here:

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/HomePatrol/HomePatrol2/HomePatrol-IIom.pdf

The instructions for updating the firmware and database in your Home Patrol are detailed on page 6.

.
 

rwier

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 6, 2006
Messages
1,919
Reaction score
17
Location
Phoenix, AZ
.. In case you have misplaced your owner's manual ... "

I detect a hint of sarcasm here, but I want to second the motion.

Recently I made a post observing that posters have increasingly ceased to use the extensive "search" systems available in the RR website.

In a similar vein, just this morning, I was contemplating a similar post concerning user manuals. It seems that every month, the number of questions asked on the Forums that "should" be answered in the manuals are noticeably increasing.

I know I am an unusual "nut-case", but in the case of reasonably valuable products, I will read the manual/s (cover to cover) THREE TIMES before installing batteries or plugging into a wall socket. In the case of large extensive manuals, this can result in multiple days delay in my first use of the product.

Actually, many posts here resemble those I would expect from someone who found the device on the street, or stole the item, and has no clue what the device is, or what it is used for.
 

senator151

Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2016
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
southern Ohio
For the record I BOUGHT my scanner from ebay and I have spent hours on this site looking for the information I asked about. Did not want to come off as a person that wanted a reward without first trying to figure it out myself. Sorry I'm not in-the-know as some others on here, but I thought a forum was to share information you have with someone that may not have been able to locate it themselves.
 

rcool101

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
1,044
Reaction score
247
Location
Eastern Ohio
I know I am an unusual "nut-case", but in the case of reasonably valuable products, I will read the manual/s (cover to cover) THREE TIMES before installing batteries or plugging into a wall socket.
Doesn't matter how many times you read the manual....:roll:...Might be 10 times... If you don't understand something ask...This forum isn't extra class or advanced.....
Welcome Senator151....Like any other forum it helps if you have thick skin..:D
 

senator151

Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2016
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
southern Ohio
Thanks for the welcome rcool101. Have thick skin and knew going in that sometime on a forum you will get a person that may be doesn't care for beginner questions. I am far from a beginner when it comes to scanners as my first was an 8 channel that you had to go and buy the frequency chips for the things you wanted to hear and have had a scanner ever since. But I am a beginner when it comes to understanding MARCs system. Ill keep reading and learning and asking the questions as I need to until I fully understand. Who knows someday I might be able to answer a newbie question myself! Again thanks for the welcome.
 

kc2kth

Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2004
Messages
437
Reaction score
28
Location
Toms River NJ
One tip, it's typically faster to remove the memory card from the scanner, put it in a card reader and do your programming changes and download the new firmware to the card when available. I think it's also more convenient since I typically do this on a laptop,with a built in reader while sitting on my couch. No wires is a good thing I think.
 

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
13,295
Reaction score
1,132
Location
Arlington, TX
While that tip is definitely true for one or more of our competitor's model(s), the speed difference on ours in negligible (you probably spend more time taking the card out/reinstalling it than you save).
 

ansky

Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2005
Messages
1,286
Reaction score
203
Location
NJ
While that tip is definitely true for one or more of our competitor's model(s), the speed difference on ours in negligible (you probably spend more time taking the card out/reinstalling it than you save).

I'll also add that by taking the memory card in and out, every time you do that you risk damaging the card, damaging the card slot, or even dropping your scanner in the process.
 

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
13,295
Reaction score
1,132
Location
Arlington, TX
If there is an update, and there might be, there might not be, it will be shortly after we announce it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top