HomePatrol 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
I currently have an SDS100, a Whister TRX-1, and run OP25 on Linux to follow the trunked systems near me.

I love the SDS100, however I'm not a fan of using it 100% of the time plugged into a USB port. I would prefer a more base station type approach. In my mind I can't really justify having an SDS200 at the cost and in the area where I live I am only interested in Analog and two P25 Phase 1 systems. That's it. No NXDN or DMR.

My city system (New Bern, NC) is LSM and my Whistler TRX-1 can't deal with it. It's worse than terrible for a $500 scanner that is supposed to work. I can pull in both New Bern LSM system and NC Viper with OP25 running on Raspberry Pi using a TV to display the data. OP25 makes a server and webpage which is super cool.

Trouble with OP25 is it won't do analog and I would then need to program the Whistler or a Baofeng radio or an RTL-SDR to scan analog. While this is certainly easily doable, the thought of having 2 devices running all the time with cross talk really doesn't appeal to me at all. I'd like to keep it down to one device and I'd like to be free-er to start using the SDS-100 in the truck or camping instead of it acting like a home base station.

So I'm looking at a HomePatrol 2. It would fit the bill perfectly I think for setting up as a semi-permanent base station, yet still be portable if need be. It covers the current systems where I live and I don't have any plans on moving nor does the town I live in have any immediate plans to upgrade. Heck if they did maybe I could use my TRX-1 again if the LSM system went away.

What say you? Is the HP2 too old and obsolete? It's just right for right now but not much future proofing in a $450 purchase. I had never seen one before but a local friend has a repair shop and had the HP 1's and 2's in stock and I kind of liked them and the touch screen interface.

Input welcome. I can afford an SDS200........its not the money I just think the HP2 fits the bill at almost half the cost.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
The HP2 will never be able to decode the P25/P1 or P2 LSM system more than 60% of the time, so its basically useless for that, it's good on VHF analog and as far as the touch screen any dirt or moisture and they fail. (my HP1 screen failed) I would not have wasted my money on one if I had known how poorly it performs.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
I was out all day and didn't see these replies and had already picked it up. It was the shop owners one he used and I got a good deal on it. I had thought it was still new in the box. I brought it home and set up my favorites list and have it sitting in the same room as my SDS100.

I would say for the trunked systems I am getting and the analog stuff they are about 99% in sync. Sometimes the HP2 will grab something the SDS100 won't and vice versa but I haven't messed with squelch or anything yet. That seems normal for any two scanners I have set next to each other. My Whistler TRX-1 and SDS100 do similar.

I'm completely happy with the purchase at this point.

I'm aware that HP2 is a few dog years older in tech years but I think its doing well on P25 Phase 1 and on analog stuff.

palmerjrusa

I like my HomePatrol 2 and enjoy using it (sold the first iteration to fund the purchase of the new one).
I didn't like the white line that suddenly appeared across its screen and refused to go away...sent it back to Uniden for repair under warranty on Saturday.

Hope you enjoy your new HomePatrol 2!

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I was out all day and didn't see these replies and had already picked it up. It was the shop owners one he used and I got a good deal on it. I had thought it was still new in the box. I brought it home and set up my favorites list and have it sitting in the same room as my SDS100.

I would say for the trunked systems I am getting and the analog stuff they are about 99% in sync. Sometimes the HP2 will grab something the SDS100 won't and vice versa but I haven't messed with squelch or anything yet. That seems normal for any two scanners I have set next to each other. My Whistler TRX-1 and SDS100 do similar.

I'm completely happy with the purchase at this point.

I'm aware that HP2 is a few dog years older in tech years but I think its doing well on P25 Phase 1 and on analog stuff.
I would have expected the HP-2 to perform about the same as the TRX-1 since they have the same type of receiver design.
You mentioned earlier that your city system (New Bern, NC) is LSM and that your Whistler TRX-1 can't deal with it. I would expect the same issue with the HP-2 on that system.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
I would have expected the HP-2 to perform about the same as the TRX-1 since they have the same type of receiver design.
You mentioned earlier that your city system (New Bern, NC) is LSM and that your Whistler TRX-1 can't deal with it. I would expect the same issue with the HP-2 on that system.
Surprisingly it is handling the LSM system quite well. The TRX-1 is just awful. I used to travel a lot and the TRX-1 was exceptional and I didn't run into another Phase 1 LSM system at any of the other places I traveled to.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
I have both an HP1 and HP2 and both handle the MOSWIN system (P25 Phase1) as well as analog quite well. Have had no issues with the screens either, and they have been used a lot. But I do run a Diamond RH77CA on one and Diamond clone (Jetstream) on the other with much better signal over the stock antennas.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
The SDS200 is about the best bet for LSM, no point wasting time and money on a HP2.
There's no doubt an SDS100 or 200 are superior radio scanners with a considerable amount of features. Can't argue with that at all.

I guess what conclusions I'm really drawing here is that if you do the research on what systems / frequencies are in your area you can tailor your purchase and save a couple/few hundred dollars.

The best digital trunking scanner I own isn't a scanner at all. It's a Raspberry Pi with a NooElec RTL-SDR on it running OP25 software on Linux. It has a tiny stubby indoor antenna on it and it blows away the SDS100 and this "new" HomePatrol 2. I receive a higher percentage of calls on it than on my hardware scanners. But it doesn't do analog at all.

I just don't want two devices running in the same room for a variety of reasons. That would drive me nuts, I think and I try to do as much charging, recharging, and communications operations on solar as possible. My solar system at home is small and is designed to make my bedroom a "lifeboat" for 3-5 days in the event of a hurricane. Works perfectly however if I keep adding devices to my "grid" I'll reduce the time it will stay up during a bad weather / cloudy / stormy event. Gas generator by day........solar lifeboat at night.

The SDS100 is awesome for the truck and I made a GPS puck for it and it really shines in that application.

My TRX-1 really was great in other cities that had non LSM systems and Phase II stuff. It just doesn't work here on my LSM system. I should ditch it because I'm about to retire and done traveling.

I'm also learning that this HomePatrol 2 doesn't work as well in my bedroom with analog as it does in my back room. Must have not much shielding at all. I have a small solar system in my home and the Charge Controller and inverter spray RF all over the place.

In short in the back room I get all the analog stuff with an indoor antenna that I want but it's a little static-ey near the RF sprayer.

Again it's not that I don't have the money for an SDS 200 but I have a 100 and they are essentially the same scanner although that network port would be nice!

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
Lots to report today :). I literally listened to my SDS100 and HomePatrol 2 side by side most of the day today. I hooked up the HP2 to an outdoor 800MHz antenna and the SDS100 just has its rubber ducky.

The scanners are darn near on point with each other and I have systems / talk groups / avoids set up almost the same. Some minor differences but close enough for government work.

The only time one misses calls the other one doesn't catch is when there are multiple calls and of course each scanner stops wherever it is in the scan search. Other than that they are 98% pulling in the same stuff.

On a personal note I found out my retirement date shifted (I'm a civil servant) from the end of this month until the end of January. That means disposable income for 2 1/2 months.

So naturally I bought an SDS200 today! Not sure what I'm going to do with all these things but the HP2 is staying in the den and I'll set the SDS200 up in my bedroom next to my shortwave receivers, radios, etc.

W5DON

My HomePatrol-2 works just fine. I have it mobile in my truck, using a dedicated antenna nmo-mounted on the roof. Between tweaking the levels and use of the attenuator, I have rarely have issues with simulcast.
Regarding the touch screen, never had an issue there either. I've had the HP-1 prior to this, also with good results.

YMMV

Don / W5DON

LouieCT

Premium Subscriber
what tweaks specifically did you do to combat simulcast distortion. I'd like to put my HP2 in the truck but it just sucks on my state police system. Thanks

mc48

Premium Subscriber
what tweaks specifically did you do to combat simulcast distortion. I'd like to put my HP2 in the truck but it just sucks on my state police system. Thanks
Press on Menu>Audio options, then on the bottom right side of the screen press and hold and three more options will magically appear. (when you press a blank box will appear) This will be for filters, logging and P25 mode, you can make manual adjustments here.

nosig55

That also works on the HP1.
Press on Menu>Audio options, then on the bottom right side of the screen press and hold and three more options will magically appear. (when you press a blank box will appear) This will be for filters, logging and P25 mode, you can make manual adjustments here.

eg153wftx

Wow never knew about the "hidden" menu. I have had my HP2 for about to years and use it to monitor a PH1 simulcast system here in Arizona (Mesa TOPAZ). Where I have it located on my listening post desk along with a remtronix antenna it receives perfectly the Mesa system.
It does not do the Phoenix PH2 simulcast system (RWC) well where it sets at the desk but when mobile in the actual city of Phoenix works very well.
Never ever had a touch screen problem with either HP1 or HP2 and as for lines appearing found that to be a contrast brightness issue easily fixed in the display menu.
Not related to this thread but if a "new" scanner is ever made I would like a "true I/Q" (SDS100/200) with touch screen capabilities like the HP model....

Ubbe

Not related to this thread but if a "new" scanner is ever made I would like a "true I/Q" (SDS100/200) with touch screen capabilities like the HP model....
That was probably the SDS500 but now people have built their own low cost remote touch displays that you use with your SDS100 or SDS200.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.