HomePatrol Antenna Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouges18

I have a Uniden Home Patrol in my house and am having difficulty receiving signals from an adjoining county which uses a digital trunked non-encrypted system. I had it professionally programmed and occasionally get signals from multiple agencies but they are choppy and unintelligible. Does anyone have suggestions on an upgraded antenna, interior or exterior, to help improve the signal? Thanks.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe the Home Patrols will pick up digital.

bouges18

They definitely pick up digital. I'm able to pick up the frequencies when I'm mobile in my car and closer to the radio tower. It's just a question of signal strength the further I drive away from the tower.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
HP 1 & 2 both pick up digital. HP1 will only pick up P25 Phase I while the HP2 will pick up P25 Phase 2.

Do you have a HP1 or HP2?

Your best bet would be with an external antenna. If you don't want to do that a BNC Remtronix 800MHz with right angle BNC adapter would be a good place to start.

bouges18

I have a HP1. Wouldn't mind an exterior antenna to get the best signal as long as it's not too obvious. I've seen some youtube videos with amplifiers. Anyone tried these?

lou9155

hp1 picks up p25 phase 1 and hp2 picks up p25 phase 2...either one will benefit from an outdoor antenna...the diamond discone along with low loss coax such as lmr400 is a popular setup

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe the Home Patrols will pick up digital.

My bad! Of course, they will. I don't know what I was thinking. I was sitting here cleaning up an old scammer and still had that one on my mind.

Edit: It was a Radio Shack Pro-650 that I only use for local aircraft monitoring,

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

My bad! Of course, they will. I don't know what I was thinking. I was sitting here cleaning up an old scammer and still had that one on my mind.

Edit: It was a Radio Shack Pro-650 that I only use for local aircraft monitoring,

I think it's called a brain fart...or a senior moment if in mixed company!:D

X2 on the better outdoor antenna...unless your system uses LSM. Whole another ballgame.

Status
Not open for further replies.