HomePatrol HELP Roanoke Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue_duramax

I got a Uniden HomePatrol for Christmas and the box says "Instantly Listen to Police Fire and Rescue"..... Yeah maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can not pick up Roanoke County Police Fire Rescue Project 25 says its on there but no radio traffic and Salem Police Fire and Rescue doesn't even show up like it doesn't even exist. I have tried doing the location 3 different ways and it programs West Virginia and North Carolina but the local departments are not getting picked up. Does anybody have the same problem with their HOMEPATROL? Any assistant would be greatly appreciated!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Did you update the database in the scanner?
Which HomePatrol do you have?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Step #1 is to update both firmware and the database via Sentinel. The database has to be up to date in order for the scanner to know what to scan in your area.

fredva

Feed Provider
The HP-1 will only handle P25 Phase 1. The Roanoke/Franklin system is listed as a Phase 2 system, although most of the talkgroups appear to be Phase 1. Does anybody know if the HP-1 would block the monitoring of a Phase 2 system, even if it has Phase 1 talkgroups, similar to the way the GRE/Whistler Phase 1 scanners blocked the programming of a system labeled as Phase 2 in the database? Just wondering if that might be the issue. I don't have an HP-1 nor am I in the Roanoke area.

troymail

Silent Key
Just ran an update with the HomePatrol Sentinel software. No change with the Version Information. Still the same

If you updated, the database date should be much more recent that September. I just ran an update for the HP-1/2 Sentinel and see the database as 12/31/2017.

However, looking at this system:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6497

it appears the last change to it was on 9/3/17 and it appears to be a minor change so I would not suspect the database as the issue and/or updating it will solve your problem.

The Phase 2 vs. HP-1 question is interesting given the system imports into a favorites list as P25 X2-TDMA....

Let's see if that makes a difference....

Attached is a copy of the system programmed as P25 Standard vs. P25 X2-TDMA....

Unzip the attachment (R-F P25.zip) and then import the enclosed file (Roanoke _ Franklin P25.hpe) into Sentinel (File -> Import from hpe file...) and then write it to your radio....

Make sure ALL of the service types are enabled on your radio (for now).

Attachments

• R-F P25.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 9

N4ANJ

Premium Subscriber
On the system Roa. City & Roa. County are P25 phase 1. Franklin Co. is P25 phase 2. If you can delete the Franklin Co. site frequencies on the HP1, since it won't pick up P25 phase 2, you would be ahead of the game. About everything in Franklin Co. except Fire & Rescue is encrypted. Not listed in the RR database for Roanoke are TGID #153 which is the Western Va. Water Authority and TGID # 310 which is Va. Western Community College Police.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If you updated, the database date should be much more recent that September. I just ran an update for the HP-1/2 Sentinel and see the database as 12/31/2017.

However, looking at this system:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6497

it appears the last change to it was on 9/3/17 and it appears to be a minor change so I would not suspect the database as the issue and/or updating it will solve your problem.

The Phase 2 vs. HP-1 question is interesting given the system imports into a favorites list as P25 X2-TDMA....

Let's see if that makes a difference....

Attached is a copy of the system programmed as P25 Standard vs. P25 X2-TDMA....

Unzip the attachment (R-F P25.zip) and then import the enclosed file (Roanoke _ Franklin P25.hpe) into Sentinel (File -> Import from hpe file...) and then write it to your radio....

Make sure ALL of the service types are enabled on your radio (for now).
I've tried several different local systems that are variously listed as P25-X2 TDMA in the HP database, and P25 Standard in the x36HP database, to see if that designation makes any difference in the radios. No difference in reception regardless of the description chosen. Several of these systems are listed as P25-X2 TDMA in the database, but all, or at least (for now) the majority of TGID's are Phase I (Mode D). The HP-1 has no problem following the actual Phase I ID's. Here's one example of that type system.

troymail

Silent Key
I've tried several different local systems that are variously listed as P25-X2 TDMA in the HP database, and P25 Standard in the x36HP database, to see if that designation makes any difference in the radios. No difference in reception regardless of the description chosen. Several of these systems are listed as P25-X2 TDMA in the database, but all, or at least (for now) the majority of TGID's are Phase I (Mode D). The HP-1 has no problem following the actual Phase I ID's. Here's one example of that type system.

So Steve - I think you are saying that the HP-1 still loads these systems even though they appear in the Sentinel data base as X2?

Any chance that required a specific firmware version or has the HP-1 always loaded X2 systems without nay problems?

Once again, as we've discussed in the past, makes me wonder why they are marked X2 vs P25 standard in Sentinel....

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So Steve - I think you are saying that the HP-1 still loads these systems even though they appear in the Sentinel data base as X2?

Any chance that required a specific firmware version or has the HP-1 always loaded X2 systems without nay problems?

Once again, as we've discussed in the past, makes me wonder why they are marked X2 vs P25 standard in Sentinel....
Troy,
The HP-1 does load, trunk track, and receive, these systems normally even though they are flagged as X2. I have never had any sort of mismatch error come up for system types in either the HP-1 or HP-2. The X2-TDMA system type is still an available option in creating a new system in both the HP version of Sentinel, as well as the x36HP version.

Of the growing numbers of Phase II systems in my area, the main database for the x36HP series scanners lists them as P25 Trunk whether they are newer, or the older ones which show in the HP-1/2 as P25 X2-TDMA.

Look at PAWM system. In the RRDB, it shows as being P25 Phase II. Most talkgroups are still Phase I, but the system is being converted to fully Phase II as agencies put newer radios into service if necessary.

However, in the HP-1/-2 Sentinel, it's system type (under Collin County) is P25 X2-TDMA. In the x36HP Sentinel, it's simply P25 Trunk. The scanners don't seem to care which system description is used.

My guess is that, at the time the original Home Patrol (HP-1) was released in 2010, the X2 designation was basically a beta Motorola version of what we now consider as being Phase II. By the time the X36HP series scanners were released, the Phase II format, I believe, was officially standardized, but the HP-1 database was not changed. Apparently, once the systems are listed as a given format, that description persists. Nor was it changed when the HP-2 was introduced. I ran across something on a different system where data in the HP version (not just system type) differed from what was shown in the x36HP. Drawing a blank right now, on exactly what the details were, but there was a difference.

troymail

Silent Key
Thanks Steve -- unless the user loads the config I sent him and for unknown reasons that works (you never know), I guess we'll have to look for other reasons.... in the end it will probably the usual culprit - simulcast....

kc4jgc

Simulcast is a huge issue in Roanoke City and the surrounding county. I remember not being able to hear much at all unless I brought my scanner inside the 53' trailer I was working from. Seemed all that aluminum and steel help attenuate just enough.... Of course, YMMV.

troymail

Silent Key
Simulcast is a huge issue in Roanoke City and the surrounding county. I remember not being able to hear much at all unless I brought my scanner inside the 53' trailer I was working from. Seemed all that aluminum and steel help attenuate just enough.... Of course, YMMV.

Yeah - I honestly try and not have "simulcast" as the first potential thing to consider (mostly since there is very little you can do about it that really works)... but it is a huge problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.