HomePatrol helped me map out an EDACS System today

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
So I am sitting at my computer at work this afternoon and going through some
old radio related files and posts here at RR.com. I stumbled across THIS old
thread in the NC forum where Steve mentions the following local EDACS system that had not been mapped out:

Business
Glaxo-Smith-Kline (RTP) WNYU273 This is an EDACS trunked system.
With a PRO-97, it appears to do some tracking with the frequencies listed in that LCN order but I can't confirm it is the correct order or not

If any of you all can plug them in and play detective, I would appreciate it. If you can confirm something, share your results and, better yet, go ahead and submit them.

For whatever reason this system ended up being forgotten and was never mapped out nor added to the database. Mea Culpa as I consider myself to be the top Central NC Scanner Geek. :)

Anyway, I decide to look up the system in the FCC Database and saw it was still active and on the air.

Since I bring my Uniden HomePatrol HP-1 to work with me everyday I decided to put the EDACS/LTR LCN Finder feature to work mapping out the LCNs.

Before I left work I programmed the system in and did a generic 1234567 LCN layout.

The RTP GlaxoSmithKline location in RTP is between my work and my home so I stopped at a Sheetz Gas Station in the middle near GSK.

In less than 15 mins The HP-1 EDACS/LTR LCN Finder had mapped out all but one of the LCNS for the system! :):D

6637883393_d43db775a2_z.jpg

5 mins after I took the above pic the LCN Finder finally registered the last frequency
of 858.3375 as LCN 4!

In about 20mins the HP-1 had completely mapped out the LCNs of an EDACs system and I was on my way to logging Talkgroups!

Of course as soon as I got home I added the system to the RR.com Database with a few talkgroups I was able to ID:
GlaxoSmithKline Trunking System, Durham, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

Of course the small 3 frequency Zebulon satellite site still needs to be mapped out but this shows how powerful of a feature the HomePatrol Extreme EDACS/LTR LCN Finder can be!

Hopefully this inspires the other HP-1 Extreme owners out there to give this feature a try as you too might be able to help map out unknown or forgotten radio systems in your local area!

Happy Monitoring (and Extreme HPing!)
Marshall KE4ZNR

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Mapping a System

So I am sitting at my computer at work this afternoon and going through some
old radio related files and posts here at RR.com. I stumbled across THIS old
thread in the NC forum where Steve mentions the following local EDACS system that had not been mapped out:

For whatever reason this system ended up being forgotten and was never mapped out nor added to the database. Mea Culpa as I consider myself to be the top Central NC Scanner Geek. :)

Anyway, I decide to look up the system in the FCC Database and saw it was still active and on the air.

Since I bring my Uniden HomePatrol HP-1 to work with me everyday I decided to put the EDACS/LTR LCN Finder feature to work mapping out the LCNs.

Before I left work I programmed the system in and did a generic 1234567 LCN layout.

The RTP GlaxoSmithKline location in RTP is between my work and my home so I stopped at a Sheetz Gas Station in the middle near GSK.

In less than 15 mins The HP-1 EDACS/LTR LCN Finder had mapped out all but one of the LCNS for the system! :):D

6637883393_d43db775a2_z.jpg

5 mins after I took the above pic the LCN Finder finally registered the last frequency
of 858.3375 as LCN 4!

In about 20mins the HP-1 had completely mapped out the LCNs of an EDACs system and I was on my way to logging Talkgroups!

Of course as soon as I got home I added the system to the RR.com Database with a few talkgroups I was able to ID:
GlaxoSmithKline Trunking System, Durham, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

Of course the small 3 frequency Zebulon satellite site still needs to be mapped out but this shows how powerful of a feature the HomePatrol Extreme EDACS/LTR LCN Finder can be!

Hopefully this inspires the other HP-1 Extreme owners out there to give this feature a try as you too might be able to help map out unknown or forgotten radio systems in your local area!

Happy Monitoring (and Extreme HPing!)
Marshall KE4ZNR

I agree with you it really does a good job, so far I have done 8 LTR Systems, 1 Edacs System, and 1 Motorola system and it's worked like a charm.
Steve

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
People who talk about how the HP1 Extreme Upgrade is useless or doesn't do anything special need to review this post. No doubt, this makes the HP1 a powerhouse unheard of before. I've discovered a good handful of trunk systems with it, and its conventional discovery mode has done a lot towards me figuring out a ton of conventional freqs too.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Discovery mode

People who talk about how the HP1 Extreme Upgrade is useless or doesn't do anything special need to review this post. No doubt, this makes the HP1 a powerhouse unheard of before. I've discovered a good handful of trunk systems with it, and its conventional discovery mode has done a lot towards me figuring out a ton of conventional freqs too.

I use the conventional discovery mode every day, I do searches from one end of the band to the other and I am finding new frequencies all the time, this is a feature I have been waiting for, for decades, this feature is Worth the money I spent on the Home Patrol by it self.
Steve

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

Yep.
Basically you wanna map out a Moto/EDACS/LTR system the
HP-1 with the Extreme Feature Set handles it:
like-a-boss_178262353.jpg

:cool:
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE5TLF

Yes the LCN tools are quite nice and powerful, but the CC decoding (Trunked analysis or whatever) feature is still EXTREMELY anemic at best. (e.g. Not populating, and/or displaying, site neighbors, alt CC's etc.) Having site neighbor information at your fingertips is extremely valuable when "on the hunt" especially.

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I am hoping the new firmware coming out will address some of the stuff, at least for P25. I have figured out many OSWs that the HomePatrol is neither adequately decoding on the fly nor adequately decoding in the logs. Or perhaps "describing" is a better word than decoding. I think you and I are talking about the same thing... you see "Iden: 0" on the live decode screen, but not the actual channel spacing, base freq, etc. In the logs, you see these things but in raw undecoded values (1/5 of the actual frequency value, etc).

Essexscan

too bad the update system isn't two way, would be a great help to be able to send trunking system updates back to RR directly from the HP-1

KE5TLF

Yeah I'm hoping that too, but not holding my breath. All I know is for that tool to become even close to being a worthy alternate to T88 and Pro96Com it needs a TON of work/improvement in both what is displayed "live" on screen and what is stored in the logs it creates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.