Homepatrol Input Voltage Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptgb

I want to be able to mount my Homepatrol on my motorcycle. I do extensive travels in the summer and the Homepatrol with GPS is perfect for multi-state travel. This year we are going to Arkansas from Ohio and I would really like to fill in the highway miles with listening to public safety agencies.

Anyway, I mounted it (RAM mounts) last year and it worked great. The only issues I have is with power hookup. The cigarette plugs on the HP cord and the Garmin GPS 18Xpc are really touchy with power plugs the connections work loose and I have cords all over the place, which doesn't work the best on a motorcycle.

I have researched the input voltages of both the HP and the GPS 18x and I believe neither is a 12V input. Does this mean that inside the power plug are the electronics that step-down the voltages? If so, what kind of task would it be to change out the power plugs to something more robust and secure? I need a compact setup that can be unplugged relatively easily as to secure the whole thing away in the saddlebags when off the motorcycle.

Any electronics guys have any ideas on the best route to take to change out the power plugs? Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a lot of work to change the voltages... if it can even be done.
Any direct wiring options to avoid the cigarette adapters? that being said youd still need 9v for the scanner and whatever voltage for the GPS...

Status
Not open for further replies.