Homepatrol mobile setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

I got the Homepatrol mounted in my vehicle and am happy with the results. I used a RAM mount attached to the flat portion of the dash using the Radio Shack Super-Lock (plastic Velcro as I call it). I know some will criticize that, but I have always had good luck with it securely holding scanners as heavy as a BC355N while mounted on a vertical surface.It is positioned so that the bottom of the HP-1 mounting bracket rests on the trim above the radio/climate control stack. That way, not all of the weight of the HP-1 is on the RAM mount.

Wire management was the only thing am not thrilled about. Aesthetically, I would like to have hidden them, but that would require drilling in the top of the dash, which I tried to avoid. That is why I opted to secure the mount with the Super-Lock. If I find that it is not adequate, I will have to nut up and mount the RAM mount with screws. And, if I do that, I will just drill a hole for the antenna coax as well.

The antenna coax was not long enough to reach the dash, so I had to use a 6' coax jumper. I ran the coax jumper from the scanner down to a convenient gap under the steering column and then inside and under the shifter console to mate with the antenna coax with a coupler.

Tomorrow, it gets it's trial run on the way to work. And judging by the snow were supposed to have, it should be busy.
2a5e6yvy.jpg
yguzejug.jpg
dy6usu3e.jpg
pedebe9u.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dmg1969

So far, I am impressed with the reception of the HP-1 while mobile. It seemed to pull in better in the poor reception areas I travel through on my trip in to work. I really like it.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Even better on VHF Low than your BC125AT? That's good to hear because I know lowband mobile has been a challenge.
Only reason I shy away from top-of-dash mounts is the damage done by the sun in the summer. But, if you can pull it off the dash when you park in the sun... Problem solved.

dmg1969

Thanks, kj.

Yeah, popnokick...I will pull it when it gets hot. I couldn't pay VERY close attention because of the road conditions this morning. I had it on, but low so I was not distracted...the roads were very bad. But I noticed no static filled transmissions from the neighboring county that I monitor (UHF). I go through areas to and from work where their signal becomes pretty choppy. I also noticed no areas of static on my home county's VHF low fire band. I usually hit one or two areas where it locks onto a signal and is constant static. If I push the squelch up, it goes away. I had none of that this morning. I love this radio.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Even better on VHF Low than your BC125AT? That's good to hear because I know lowband mobile has been a challenge.
Only reason I shy away from top-of-dash mounts is the damage done by the sun in the summer. But, if you can pull it off the dash when you park in the sun... Problem solved.

dmg1969

Thanks. It works for now until I decide if I want to feed them down through the top of the dash. I like the location. Very convenient for not taking my eyes off the road and really don't have to stretch to reach it if I want to lock it on a channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.