Homepatrol modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech2461

I am interested in retrofitting a home patrol unit into a vehicle radio console assembly by somehow flush mounting it into a blank faceplate cut out.

The problems I so far think I see are the volume control and power switches. Located on the top of the unit, any flush/recess mounting would obstruct both. In addition, I feel the 2 watt rated audio from the built in speaker is inadequate for a mobile envirnoment. I am contemplating possibly disassembling the unit and somehow fitting it into the faceplate using a cutout only for the touch screen but not sure, without an exploded view diagram, what the inside of the unit looks like and how it can be adapted to into a flush mount/recessed assembly.

Has anyone had a homepatrol taken apart and or looked at the internal hardware, volume control, power switch, etc. to see if an how it can be retrofitted?

ResQguy

Meh
If you don't fully recess it, you can still get to the buttons on top. I'd say your bigger problems are going to be the connectors on both sides which will be hard to fit in an 8" wide console. I plan on taking mine apart soon to paint the housing black. We'll see what it looks like then.

Last edited:

tech2461

Let me know how that works. Was also toying with the idea of a PSR-800 for the same thing but I like the HP-1 display plus the GPS option. Drop me a reply and let me know how the volume control is mounted and the power switch. Something tells me they are simple tactile switches but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.