Homepatrol **** the bed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Well I got into the car tonight and my homepatrol was acting funny.

First off it would lock onto four different frequencies with no sound.

So I though it might be the antenna, went home and tried a different one, same thing!

Did a hard reset! Still locked onto those same frequencies with no transmissions coming in!

Tuned the weather channels nothing!

I'm guessing this thing is done?

Anybody have any ideas, before it goes back to uniden?

Thanks

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but not receiving any weather broadcasts can be a bad sign.

You've done what I would have suggested - change environments and try different antennas.

Are you able to open the squelch and hear noise on any of the weather channels? That might indicate whether it is an audio issue or signal issue.

If you hear squelch, then it sounds like a signal reception issue. It could be a bad internal connection for where the antenna connects to the chassis. Or, the worst case scenario the "front end" got messed up by the scanner being too close to a transmitter.

But as you mentioned, it might be destined for a trip to Texas.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
What he said ^^^

Try some headphones or an AUX cable and hook it up to an external speaker. Sounds like the speaker gave up the ghost on your scanner. lol.

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
You can also reformat the SD card and/or insert a different one.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but not receiving any weather broadcasts can be a bad sign.

You've done what I would have suggested - change environments and try different antennas.

Are you able to open the squelch and hear noise on any of the weather channels? That might indicate whether it is an audio issue or signal issue.

If you hear squelch, then it sounds like a signal reception issue. It could be a bad internal connection for where the antenna connects to the chassis. Or, the worst case scenario the "front end" got messed up by the scanner being too close to a transmitter.

But as you mentioned, it might be destined for a trip to Texas.

Actually I just installed a motorola 40watt mobile in the car? Would that really effect my scanner?

There are about 4 feet apart?

I sure hope not!

I know ppl have scanners and receivers close together all the time!

I haven't turned on the receiver since Friday, and it was working for a few days after I transmitted?

Thanks guys!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
How far apart are the antennas? Nearby strong RF can fry any receiver's front end.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It is more of an issue with separation distance between antennas than between radio and scanner. The more distance you can put between them the better.

There is an outside chance of an issue with the motorola's antenna coax connection. If a little piece of the shielded/braided wire has come into contact with the center conductor, it's possible RF may be introduced into everything that is grounded on your vehicle.

You can test this by disconnecting the antenna connector at the radio and removing the whip from the base. Then check on the antenna base with a muli-meter. If there is no continuity between the threaded part of the base and the center pin, you are good. But if you see continuity, then you have grounded the center conductor of the coax and need to figure out where the short is.

Also, very remotely, if the antenna isn't pretty tight on the base with all gaskets/seals/"O" rings in place and water infiltrates (rain/car washing) a ground situation could result.

Messing up the front end of a scanner with another transmitter in the vehicle does happen, which I can attest to from experience.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
The antennas are about 4 feet apart, each antenna is on the side of the hood of my car.

I thought this would be far enough apart?

It's steage because it worked fine up until yesterday at 7pm!

And the last time I transmitted was Friday night!

The scanner worked great through the weekend!

Thanks

JamesO

Uniden has a fixed price repair for many products, usually around $50 + $10 return shipping and shipping to Uniden so it works out to about $70-$75.

See the Uniden website or contact them for more info.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Ok this is how far apart the antennas are?!

Isn't this far enough, can't really go much further apart!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 428

tech020

Possible RF issues

Looking at your photo, if the mag mount is used for your 40 watt transceiver, it could be feeding into your scanner antenna cable. Mag mounts are not solidly grounded and are not the preferred solution for transmit at power levels above 10 watts or so. Had lots of problems back in the day with undercover cop radios running 60-110 watts into a mag mount. The narcs thought that the mag mount would work fine in the trunk or under the car! We ended up buying expensive decoy antennas that looked like broadcast whips.

JamesO

Other than the antenna itself, there is the "skin effect" of RF radiation on the coax shield as well.

If you by chance have the coax cables routed side by side, this is also a problem.

I do concur that Mag mounts are not great for either transmit or receive.

SCPD

QRT
Did you try it in the house?on the wallwart? use the stock antenna and do a reset
if the home patrol is messed up in the car you may want to have your alternator checked! it likes DC.
I doubt its the antennas....Mine were right next to each other in my car ,zero issues.My coax was ran side by side,thats not it-
My home patrol went through the mill and it always worked!]

Can I ask I stupid question,why put antennas on the hood?If you have a leaky spark plug wire ,thats alot of voltage to go and jump into your antenna or coax,relocate them to the trunk or roof.

Last edited:

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Cables aren't even close to each other!

So my solution is to get screw mounted nmo mounts for the hood of my car?

What do you all recommended?!

Another thing a mount that's the most intrusive! Preferably two bolts into the inside of the hood edge.

Thanks

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Mag mounts

Get the mag mounts off the hood!Theres nothing wrong with mag mounts,I never had any issues.Make sure your SWR is good on transmit!(0-1.5)
Also ensure your cables dont have a staple or something through one...Thats a nice car but-,The car's computer could be interferring with the home patrol,move the antennas.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I couldn't tell what model vehicle this was and whether the rear had a trunk or lift/hatchback. If it has a trunk, then for the transmit radio a trunk lip mount antenna might be a better choice.

Also you might do a search for a vehicle specific NMO antenna mount - there could be something that might provide an alternative for antenna mounting. (I've got two on my pick-up truck and they work well for my scanner and amateur radio).

phask

Premium Subscriber
Did you try it in the house?on the wallwart? use the stock antenna and do a reset
if the home patrol is messed up in the car you may want to have your alternator checked! it likes DC.
I doubt its the antennas....Mine were right next to each other in my car ,zero issues.My coax was ran side by side,thats not it-
My home patrol went through the mill and it always worked!]

Can I ask I stupid question,why put antennas on the hood?If you have a leaky spark plug wire ,thats alot of voltage to go and jump into your antenna or coax,relocate them to the trunk or roof.

Cars have spark plug wires? Seriously - I can't tell the make or model, but none of the newer (most > 05 or so) do not have plug wires. You still have coil packs, but it has eliminated a lot of noise. I have one hood mounted.

Status
Not open for further replies.