HomePatrol - You getting one?

Will you be purchasing the HomePatrol from Uniden?

• Yes, I can't wait for October to get here!

Votes: 73 28.6%
  • Maybe, I want to make sure the bugs are out of it first.

Votes: 60 23.5%
  • No, I'm waiting to see what GRE does next.

Votes: 19 7.5%
  • I'm not interested in this model, it's too entry level.

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • I'm a "Joe Scanner", but I have to have one.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • No, but my relitive or loved one (Bob, or Betty Jo) may want one.

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • No, it doesn't have the latest digital mode I want.

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • Yes, but I wish it had more features.

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • No, I'll be purchasing a Pro-107 or PSR700 instead.

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • No, I want these features (and more) in the next-gen BCD996XT!

Votes: 34 13.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Well, I couldn't wait any longer. I went ahead and ordered a 346XT (don't need digital). At less than half the price of the HomePatrol-1, I can justify sitting on my butt for a couple of hours and manually entering/importing data from the RRDB.

Still, I think this is an exciting product. Between it and GRE's PSR-700, scanner technology is jumping ahead like crazy.

990adv

Yes, I am buying one. My biggest issue is whether it will perform in all the roles I want it to or if I will also need a 396XT.

kculver

I've ordered!

I can't wait to get mine. I have an interesting story. I had a BCD396XT and decided to sell it on Ebay since it became apparent that I was not using it to it's real potential. Just didn't have the time nor the interest in dealing with the complexities of programming. I was able to use RR database to get it running but was frustrated not knowing how it was working - i.e. Groups, Alpha tags, Control Channels, etc. After getting an Iphone application called 5-0 radio that allow you to access scanners from throughout the world, I found myself using the BCB396XT even less. Yes I had no control over the programmed frequencies, but if I wanted to check out fire/police in Nashville, TN, it was easy to do even though I was hundreds of miles away!

Anyway I just wanted to frame that I am by no stretch Joe Scanner!

So in the process of making my Ebay listing, I went to Uniden's site to get specs on the BCD396XT and that's when I came across the Home Patrol and it didn't take me long to order one!

When it comes to a scanner, I just want to plug and play! Had it not been for the Home Patrol, Uniden would have lost me as a customer. I would have been perfectly fine with my $9.99 Iphone app! Instead, they got me back! And that was the point of Uniden's decision to think outside the box and I just want Uniden to know there were successful!

Finally I must say that it is amusing to read how 'Joe Scanner' appears determined to make this scanner complicated! Already 'Joe Scanner' is asking for 3rd party software to make this simple scanner complex! Thanks again Uniden for making a world class scanner for the rest of us!

wise871

Database Admin
I bought the HP-1 for what it was designed to do, turn it on, enter a zip code or use GPS and listen. This is a great radio where I don't have to think out what I want to program. When I travel I will bring both my 396XT and the HP-1. They will both complement each other and cover any operation I want to get into. The nice thing about the HP-1 is it will grab frequencies I may not have thought of. Several users have reported taking the unit on road trips and hearing transmission they were unaware of. With a standard scanner, if I don’t program it, I don’t hear it. I already have a tons of complicated scanners in my collection that I use for daily operations.

I bought the HP-1 knowing full well that I would NOT be able to modify or program data like my 396XT. That is not its purpose. If I wanted a fully programmable scanner, then I would have bought another XT series scanner. I’ve only seen a few post were users are requesting more options when it comes to programming. It’s fine for them to request but like many of us, we knew ahead of time the limitations of the HP-1 when it comes to programming. Again, if I’m able to modify the database some with a third party app, that would be cool, but that is not why I and many others bough it.

Highpockets

I bought the HP-1 for what it was designed to do, turn it on, enter a zip code or use GPS and listen. This is a great radio where I don't have to think out what I want to program. When I travel I will bring both my 396XT and the HP-1. They will both complement each other and cover any operation I want to get into. The nice thing about the HP-1 is it will grab frequencies I may not have thought of. Several users have reported taking the unit on road trips and hearing transmission they were unaware of. With a standard scanner, if I don’t program it, I don’t hear it. I already have a tons of complicated scanners in my collection that I use for daily operations.

I bought the HP-1 knowing full well that I would NOT be able to modify or program data like my 396XT. That is not its purpose. If I wanted a fully programmable scanner, then I would have bought another XT series scanner. I’ve only seen a few post were users are requesting more options when it comes to programming. It’s fine for them to request but like many of us, we knew ahead of time the limitations of the HP-1 when it comes to programming. Again, if I’m able to modify the database some with a third party app, that would be cool, but that is not why I and many others bough it.

If you bought it to enter a zip code and listen, why in one thread your not happy with the way the data is displayed and another you want to be a Database Admin to make changes.

wise871

Database Admin
If you bought it to enter a zip code and listen, why in one thread your not happy with the way the data is displayed and another you want to be a Database Admin to make changes.

The way the tags display bugs me but that can be easily fixed. And yes I volunteered to be a database admin so I can help make the information better. It’s not the radio but the database that needs adjusting. It does what they say it will. It still pulls in the channels by entering a zip code. If you also read what I posted, I also stated that it will complement my 396XT and my other radios.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
The way the tags display bugs me but that can be easily fixed. And yes I volunteered to be a database admin so I can help make the information better. It’s not the radio but the database that needs adjusting. It does what they say it will. It still pulls in the channels by entering a zip code. If you also read what I posted, I also stated that it will complement my 396XT and my other radios.

Thank you for the above bolded sentence. If only more people would take action and help make the database better instead of just complaining of erroneous info. :)
If you have not done it yet contact Eric Carlson as I am sure he would be glad to see about letting you help make the DB better in your area.
Happy Monitoring (and HPing)
Marshall KE4ZNR

coolderb

Similar Story!

I can't wait to get mine. I have an interesting story. I had a BCD396XT and decided to sell it on Ebay since it became apparent that I was not using it to it's real potential. Just didn't have the time nor the interest in dealing with the complexities of programming. I was able to use RR database to get it running but was frustrated not knowing how it was working - i.e. Groups, Alpha tags, Control Channels, etc. After getting an Iphone application called 5-0 radio that allow you to access scanners from throughout the world, I found myself using the BCB396XT even less. Yes I had no control over the programmed frequencies, but if I wanted to check out fire/police in Nashville, TN, it was easy to do even though I was hundreds of miles away!

Anyway I just wanted to frame that I am by no stretch Joe Scanner!

So in the process of making my Ebay listing, I went to Uniden's site to get specs on the BCD396XT and that's when I came across the Home Patrol and it didn't take me long to order one!

When it comes to a scanner, I just want to plug and play! Had it not been for the Home Patrol, Uniden would have lost me as a customer. I would have been perfectly fine with my $9.99 Iphone app! Instead, they got me back! And that was the point of Uniden's decision to think outside the box and I just want Uniden to know there were successful!

Finally I must say that it is amusing to read how 'Joe Scanner' appears determined to make this scanner complicated! Already 'Joe Scanner' is asking for 3rd party software to make this simple scanner complex! Thanks again Uniden for making a world class scanner for the rest of us!

Wow, Your story is similar to mine! I also have the BCD396T but don't use it a lot because the systems I listen to the most are available online. I also have 5.0 Radio as well as the HD version on my Ipad. After hearing about the Home Patrol-1 i decided to research it and it led me to this forum. I'm glad I saw your responses:) I think the HP-1 will fit nicely into my scanner arsenal. I put the BCD396T on Ebay about an hour ago to help finance the HP-1. It sold in about 45 minutes(before I could return to my desk from lunch!). I didn't even have time to upload an actual photo.

I ordered the HP-1 already. Should have it in a couple of days. I plan to use it a lot while traveling. My wife is always asking me if I can "..hear anything on the scanner" when we are driving. With conventional scanners it is not practical due to the nature of their programming. With the HP-1 it will be a lot easier to follow the action. The Iphone/Ipad apps. are a nice compliment for scanning distant cities (worldwide).

Status
Not open for further replies.