HomePatrol - You getting one?

Will you be purchasing the HomePatrol from Uniden?

• Yes, I can't wait for October to get here!

Votes: 73 28.6%
  • Maybe, I want to make sure the bugs are out of it first.

Votes: 60 23.5%
  • No, I'm waiting to see what GRE does next.

Votes: 19 7.5%
  • I'm not interested in this model, it's too entry level.

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • I'm a "Joe Scanner", but I have to have one.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • No, but my relitive or loved one (Bob, or Betty Jo) may want one.

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • No, it doesn't have the latest digital mode I want.

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • Yes, but I wish it had more features.

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • No, I'll be purchasing a Pro-107 or PSR700 instead.

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • No, I want these features (and more) in the next-gen BCD996XT!

Votes: 34 13.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
OK, now that the news has hit the coconut telegraph about the next-gen scanner from Uniden called "HomePatrol". What do you think (so far)?

OHIOSCAN

Disapointed

I guess grandma might want one, does the hobby really need this. Between crack dealers using I-Phone apps to stream there local PD and devices like this we are doomed. I know the pro arguments and agree the tech is cool and cell phones and the other gadgets are probable more of a problem but we have all seen how politicians, police chiefs and the press operate. Heck twitter is probable more of a menace to society but there pockets are deeper support wise (gr). All it takes is one incident, remember the Gingrich cell phone flap. I guess this leaves an opening for GRE, there's been plenty of great posts on forums requesting cool features that are do able.

Ohioscan

Highpockets

Although it will make allot of users happy, I do like a few of the features, but I'll pass on this one. I'll wait and see what GRE has for their next unit. Both companies are working hard on coming out with new things.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
. Between crack dealers using I-Phone apps to stream there local PD and devices like this we are doomed. I know the pro arguments and agree the tech is cool and cell phones and the other gadgets are probable more of a problem but we have all seen how politicians, police chiefs and the press operate. Heck twitter is probable more of a menace to society but there pockets are deeper support wise (gr). All it takes is one incident, remember the Gingrich cell phone flap.
Ohioscan

When my friend who went today called me and told me what this scanner was I kinda felt the same way this is taking the work out of all the criminals hands just punch in your zipcode and boom youve got local law enforcement. Dont get me wrong i love the technology but think this is just over simplifying it. I real enjoy listening to my radios and dont need yet another reason or excuse for law enforcement to go encrypted. because then we all lose. look at cook county illinois trunk systems 99.9% ENC all day all week all YEAR, because the idiots will at some point get there hands on this technology and ruin the game for the rest of us.

ronenp

I must say im disapointed

I expected for much more ....
and what we got ? a nice gimick

It is not receive any digital systems other then P25 ( a thing that their scanners can decode for more then 5 years)

Indeed it is "idiot proof" operating for peoples that dont have any knowlage in programming scanners but most of the peoples that are on this forum i think know very good to program scaners and would like to have more systems that they can decode rather then make "show off" of their new toys to others ......

Even it doesnt have any sort of I-Q output for connecting ot to PC and using any kind of SDR software decode ...... Even Alinco have such output and Alinco consider much less sophisticated scanner .....

Ronen - 4Z4ZQ
Ronen Pinchooks (4Z4ZQ) WebSite

Last edited:

JPSan

YOU are JOKING???

When my friend who went today called me and told me what this scanner was I kinda felt the same way this is taking the work out of all the criminals hands just punch in your zipcode and boom youve got local law enforcement. Dont get me wrong i love the technology but think this is just over simplifying it. I real enjoy listening to my radios and dont need yet another reason or excuse for law enforcement to go encrypted. because then we all lose. look at cook county illinois trunk systems 99.9% ENC all day all week all YEAR, because the idiots will at some point get there hands on this technology and ruin the game for the rest of us.

Oh, this a laugh riot....You are joking, right? Like the criminal element does NOT have the means already?
There are morons who would GLADLY sell programmed scanners already to bad guys...ANYWAY if the bad guys REALLY want to listen they will figure out whatever it takes ( just follow around a guy with all the antennas on his pretend unmarked police car and RIP em OFF)..That is why I FIRMLY believe you will see more and more Law Enforcement agencies go to ENCRYPTION on a full time basis. Just look at the postings on RR by guys want MOTO and other commercial radios programmed on L E freq's "just to LISTEN" let alone ham equipt that can get on analog freq's.. And all the "live audio feeds" and " Iphone app's" and all the comments posted on RR on "what I JUST HEARD"..and you don't think that annoys some L. E. agencies??
There are enough guys out there that fix there cars and trucks up like unmarked vehicles, loaded down with all sorts of monitors and chasing police and fire calls for what? And your worried about the BAD GUYS ruining the hobby?
As an ex-LEO I saw it all...a lot of want to be cops with all there look a like unmarked cars, scanners and yellow lites following us on calls, SHOWING up around stake outs and tactical callups, etc...pretenders..trouble.... Those types to will cause the hobby problems, SERIOUSLY !
And the criminal element..if they want to listen, some NEW scanner is just another AVAILABLE tool to what is ALREADY available on the market..So CONDEMN the new "toy"...CONDEMN em ALL!

mancow

Database Admin
I don't see why some are busting Uniden's balls over it. It's a concept many have been talking about for years, color screen, touch screen, memory card, audio recording...... seems pretty revolutionary to me. From what I've seen in the videos I already love the user interface. It's like a Garmin GPS GUI. I think it will be a winner all the way around as long as the RF performance is up to par. I just hope they make a regular hand held configuration.

JPSan

OVER the TOP reaction!!!!

I expected for much more ....
and what we got ? a nice gimick

It is not receive any digital systems other then P25 ( a thing that their scanners can decode for more then 5 years)

Indeed it is "idiot proof" operating for peoples that dont have any knowlage in programming scanners but most of the peoples that are on this forum i think know very good to program scaners and would like to have more systems that they can decode rather then make "show off" of their new toys to others ......

Even it doesnt have any sort of I-Q output for connecting ot to PC and using any kind of SDR software decode ...... Even Alinco have such output and Alinco consider much less sophisticated scanner .....

Ronen - 4Z4ZQ
Ronen Pinchooks (4Z4ZQ) WebSite

WHERE, was it stated that this was to be a REPLACEMENT to the 396 / 996 franchise?
NO WHERE did I see any tease about a great new DO EVERY PROTOCALL known, scanner coming on the market? ANYONE else see that announcement?? A lot of YOU posted all kind of wild and crazy speculations over the announcement..some of you got caught up in a NEW scanner hysteria..LOL..
IT IS a SCANNER that WAS designed to make it EASIER for a lot of folks to ENJOY MONITORING.
SO it ain't MOTOTRBO, PROVoice, TDMA friendly! ( IF anyone will license that tech)... BFD...IT ain't an SDR...GET OVER IT PEOPLE...Those that want it, THEY WILL BUY IT..
CRIPES...yeah they are going to cater to you and your every want and desire, BECAUSE you EXPECT IT...Get a LIFE already...So your really disappointed?? GOOD... It was designed for a specific market...It is NOT for you, ok...WE GET IT...get over it...move on... Just close your eyes and WAIT...for the NEXT BIG THING...By then almost everything will be ENCRYPTED and then what will you be crying about???? You are just way to much overboard over this...You do give me a good laugh at your intensity over this NEW scanner, though..!...IT IS A HOBBY, just a HOBBY....

ronenp

There are lot of digital systems that are not Encrypted ...... not all TRBO IDAS NXDN etc are encrypted ....
as well as not all P25 are encrypted ....

and if you think it is a so good scanner (designed to your kind of peoples market ) then buy one spend few 100 of dollard show everyone that you have the "state of the art " scaner
while i surley laugh on you that you have spend 500 or more dollar while im listenning to same thing you can listen with much cheeper scanner that can do P25 and trunk .....
if its hobby then surely for hobby price is a consideration for what you get for that price ....
and at this price i get nothing more then regular scanner ......

--------------------------------------
WHERE, was it stated that this was to be a REPLACEMENT to the 396 / 996 franchise?
NO WHERE did I see any tease about a great new DO EVERY PROTOCALL known, scanner coming on the market? ANYONE else see that announcement?? A lot of YOU posted all kind of wild and crazy speculations over the announcement..some of you got caught up in a NEW scanner hysteria..LOL..
IT IS a SCANNER that WAS designed to make it EASIER for a lot of folks to ENJOY MONITORING.
SO it ain't MOTOTRBO, PROVoice, TDMA friendly! ( IF anyone will license that tech)... BFD...IT ain't an SDR...GET OVER IT PEOPLE...Those that want it, THEY WILL BUY IT..
CRIPES...yeah they are going to cater to you and your every want and desire, BECAUSE you EXPECT IT...Get a LIFE already...So your really disappointed?? GOOD... It was designed for a specific market...It is NOT for you, ok...WE GET IT...get over it...move on... Just close your eyes and WAIT...for the NEXT BIG THING...By then almost everything will be ENCRYPTED and then what will you be crying about???? You are just way to much overboard over this...You do give me a good laugh at your intensity over this NEW scanner, though..!...IT IS A HOBBY, just a HOBBY

ampulman

Re: the 70% wanting to learn more

Someone stated (in the sticky thread) that this scanner would (my words) bring more individuals 'into the fold', and many would want to upgrade their knowledge and skills, resulting in their buying 'real scanners' down the road.

I just don't see this scanner being the bridge to that higher plane. Looking at my own history, I started listening with a manually tuned, multi-band radio. After years, I graduated to an analog scanner with (who-hoo) 100 channels. They were broken down by groups of 10; I guess you could call them banks. This served me well for many years (still use it), but after struggling with not being able to follow my towns new EDACS system (yes, I could scan all of the channels) and no digital capability, I finally bought a 396T.

Each new acquisition demanded that I upgrade my knowledge/skill, like pondering the manuals over and over and only through my desire to succeed was I able to enjoy moving to the next level.

I am at a point where I am ready to move up once again, as such things as NACs, UIDs, and advanced features are of importance to me. Incidentally, I have not seen/heard any mention of these features in the sticky thread.

So, I can see Mr. Newbee wanting a HP, but I don't see him saying that he must NOW have the next XT Extreme model.

Just my opinion.

Amp

GB1952

Premium Subscriber
Scanner

I agree with ampulman,trying to figure out a scanner is the best part and discovery is great,i can program the bc-996t and bc-996xt in my sleep,no computer used just hours of learning,my first scanners were crystals. I have been retired from the local police dept for 5 years and still monitor them.

N8IAA

Neat looking scanner. Really wonder about the display being seen in bright sunshine. Would I buy one? Maybe in a year or two when the bugs are worked out.
Larry

Jim41

What I Think

OK, now that the news has hit the coconut telegraph about the next-gen scanner from Uniden called "HomePatrol". What do you think (so far)?

There are several characteristics that I consider important in a scanner:
1. RF performance - sensitivity & selectivity
2. Audio quality - volume and clarity with analog and P25
3. Ability to quickly reduce the number of frequencies / talk groups being scanned so I can focus on a specific activity such as a car chase.

I am still awaiting information on these characteristics for the HomePatrol.

Jim41

ampulman

Neat looking scanner. Really wonder about the display being seen in bright sunshine. Would I buy one? Maybe in a year or two when the bugs are worked out.
Larry

In the MT spread, there was a link to upcoming accessories, one of which, was a sun shield.

Nah, just kidding.

Amp

mrkelso

I won't be buying one. Still waiting for a real good modern tabletop model that is not portable, that can not be put in a car. Just a real nice table top do it all scanner.

scannersnstuff

I won't be buying one. Still waiting for a real good modern tabletop model that is not portable, that can not be put in a car. Just a real nice table top do it all scanner.

mr. kelso, although it does not have every conceivable feature,did you ever consider a bc898t ?.
it make's a beaut. of a tabletop scanner. wide frequency range,good sensitivity etc.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8350i/4.6.1.294 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

Wow not even onm sale yet but everybody is condeming it. Dope dealers already can and do listen to the police. Yet LE are already going ENC is this device going to help it along... I doubt it Twitter and missuse/publishing ops has done more to speed up the spread of full time ENC. This devuice looks very interesting, and I would love to get my hands on one. Don't lnock it till you try it out.

mrkelso

mr. kelso, although it does not have every conceivable feature,did you ever consider a bc898t ?.
it make's a beaut. of a tabletop scanner. wide frequency range,good sensitivity etc.

Have one. It is in my secret basement hide from the wife area.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
New Uniden Scanner

I think that it's going to be a nice unit for the casual listener and those that just want a scanner that will work right out of the box, however this unit will not be for me. I'll be keeping what I've got and see if there will ever be any updates or a unit that can decode Phase II P-25 in the future.

73s

Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.