Hompatrol warranty a joke???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMOKE1

Premium Subscriber
Well, I have an audio problem and went to the UNIDEN Service Dept site. Told them I bought my HP-1 sometime in 2010/2011 and entered my information including serial number, hit continue and the site tells me that the unit is out of warranty and THEIR records show I purchased the HP-1 on 07/02/05....That's right 2005!!! Five whole years before they released the first one for sale to the rest of you!.

So my unit has gotta be the great grand daddy of all UNIDEN HOMEPATROL-1 BETA units , eh? So if we use the UNIDEN polish notation warranty registration book keeping that would mean an MTBF of 6+ years on this unit which ain't too shabby. You guys don't have anything to worry about with yours.

The coolest features of my BETA unit that they dropped from the final production versions have to be it's cloaking device, interdimensional teleportion ability and Human memory eraser since I don't remember ever seeing it before I thought I bought it at Ham Radio Outlet in Salem, NH last year and brought it home for the first time. But UNIDEN production records can't be wrong, right? But doesn't that mean I bought it twice? And how much did it actually cost since I have no recollection of buying it the first time in 2005....? Or maybe I've bought it over and over EACH year SINCE 2005? No wonder my wife says I buy too many scanners. Butnew scanner development costs are a ***** and someone has to pay for them. So just thank me, guys.
Oh, and in addition to having bought it who knows how many times, they smoked me out of another $60 for the repair and shipping and handling to fix whatever is wrong..... which they somehow know they can fix for $49.95 + $10.00 s&h, sight unseen. Funny, huh?

My name is Ronzo, and I'm a repeat UNIDEN product buyer.

PS Don't EVER throw out your receipts.

cacherjoe

Premium Subscriber
did you register your unit when you bought it? I had an issue with mine and there was no problems with Uniden. In the end ScannerMaster swapped it out for me, but Uniden didn't have a problem moving my Extreme Update subscription to the new unit.

Many manufacturers have a flat fee for repairs. Blackberry and Apple charge $110 or so to repair their phones, regardless of what is wrong. I think they do this because in the end to look at it, contact you then repair or not would be more costly than just having a flat fee. Also if you got it replaced under warranty you would be getting refurbished unit as a replacement. Most manufacturers do this also.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.