• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Honda Element Mobile Yeasu 8900R

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolechiw

looking to mount either a Diamond CR8900 or HV7A onto my 2007 honda element. I do not have a rack mounted on top, so these threads are open for use. I've looked for answers everywhere. Is there any reason to not mount it onto a right angle bracket into these threads for cheap/strong/good ground? Would I be better running a bar across the roof to the other roof mount to have it higher above the roof line just for one antenna?

body of car is sheet metal not plastic, and I live in urban area, so I don't want to mount it on the side. I do also have a sunroof (removable) and I plan on running the coax through the rear driver side door(used the least). This will be my first ham install, I've done CB before but ya know, that's just easy.

After reading this it looks sporadic hahaha, I've been thinking about this too much....it just seems like the most hassle free area, and no hole to drill, with a sweet ground. This is my first mobile instal.

Thanks and Good Friday
KD9AWG

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 9.10.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 9.10.03 PM.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 487

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
How would you intend on sealing that up after you mounted the antenna bracket?
Is there a better path for the coaxial cable?

Water ingress is a real issue, although that may not be such an issue. That plastic trim doesn't look like it's a waterproof seal, so this might not be an issue. Fabricating a bracket out of some aluminum angle stock might be a good idea. Getting it bolted down using at least two of those threaded holes would not only provide a good solid mount, but would also provide a good ground connection. Spanning the whole roof shouldn't be necessary unless you are planning on using a big HF antenna. For the antennas you are looking at, a single location would be fine, if it's sturdy enough. If that is the mounting point for the roof rack system, it's probably pretty good.

Routing coaxial cable in through doors and windows is an issue, usually, as pinching the cable will create issues. Any damage to the outer jacket will let moisture in, and will result in damaged cable. Just about anything is going to work better in the long run than running the cable in through a door or window.

jolechiw

I haven't figured that part out yet / undecided as far as moisture. I figure a combo of teflon tape(for interior threads), heat shrink(outer), and vinyl tape (just because). I thought about caulk and epoxy but that could just get messy and who knows how long it'll stick to the metal.

As for the rubbing coax, yeah I know, I'll try and figure out a good way but that was the least of my worries. The door really never gets opened, and I see wires under the plastic rail on the roof, so I may remove it to see what holes are there and if they are capable and of minimal importance might just run it there. I don't know, the service manuals for this model are just starting to come out and just going off prior knowledge with a specialty vehicle, it's good to have a second opinion. Thanks!

jolechiw

I've thought about those brackets, but then what, I still need to ground it. And the brackets cost as much or more than Id spend making one to fit 2 of the 3 threads and use the 3rd for a ground. I do like the way it looks though, the bracket. But I don't think it's right for my vehicle, I have "clamshell" doors and the rear hatch opens like a truck with a cap on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.