• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Honda Fit 2012 mobile install question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I have a Honda Fit 2012 with hatch back and was looking into for a mobile for uhf gmrs for now. I don't know if anyone has a mobile install in a Honda Fit. I'm sure there is a way not to drill any holes thru the roof. I went outside to take a pic but too dark outside to get a picture inside. So I googled a image what it looks like inside up front of the car. Once awhile when I travel I have a scanner antenna I put on when on the road I might have to make sure they are far apart don't want to fry the scanner.

2012_honda_fit_dashboard.jpg

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

Plenty of room for a Kenwood TK-840-1 in the cubby near the shifter. You might want an external speaker for it.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Here is the car antenna is at this is what I found on google for the roof top.. Times I'll put my scanner antenna dead center on the roof between the 2 door are.

2012-Honda-Fit-RearSide_HOFITSP122_640x480.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Kenwood TK-8180K2 is a small UHF mobile that has FCC Part 95 (GMRS) certification. Solid analog radio. I'm using a VHF version in my wife's truck. Programming software is one of the easier ones to learn. You can get the radios on the used market in the $100-$200 range.

Add a Kenwood KRK-10 remote head kit, and the RF deck can go under a seat, in the rear compartment, etc., and the small control head will fit just about anywhere on the dash.

For the antenna, a magnetic mount dead center on the roof will give you ideal performance, this side of actually drilling a hole. About 15 years ago, I did a glass mount UHF antenna on a car, worked fairly well.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Kenwood TK-8180K2 is a small UHF mobile that has FCC Part 95 (GMRS) certification. Solid analog radio. I'm using a VHF version in my wife's truck. Programming software is one of the easier ones to learn. You can get the radios on the used market in the $100-$200 range.

Add a Kenwood KRK-10 remote head kit, and the RF deck can go under a seat, in the rear compartment, etc., and the small control head will fit just about anywhere on the dash.

For the antenna, a magnetic mount dead center on the roof will give you ideal performance, this side of actually drilling a hole. About 15 years ago, I did a glass mount UHF antenna on a car, worked fairly well.
A friend of mine and I were thinking of the remote head kit. I was looking last night and some today online was looking for mdc1200 option also. And looking for a portable too.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I do have a laptop has win 10 case if need to program the radio for certain repeaters or talkaround. The laptop doesn't have no older serial ports just usb and usb-c laptop doesn't have a network plug either since they are making laptops smaller and crapper in my opinion.

RFI-EMI-GUY

The cubby by the shifter it has the cigarette lighter plug I use it daily.

The Kenwood TK-840-1 is:

5 1/2 in wide, 1 1/2 in high, 5 1/4 deep (plus cables)

GMRS compatible wide band deviation, unlike Midland junk. ( I actually like the MXT275, but it is narrow band, weak modulation like FRS)

You could easily velcro the Kenwood TK 840-1 into a cubby as it is light. The top fire internal speaker is tiny, thus an external one located in foot well or overhead is recommended.

Many great options exist for relocating a cigarette lighter assembly.

PACNWDude

Be sure to post follow up pictures of your installation......I have a Honda civic that has a similar layout. I have been using handheld radios, as I have a sunroof, so a lot less roof to allow for antennas. I am also a bit hesitant with all of the airbags everywhere to go up near the roof too much. The center console cubby hole seems to be about the only place that would not be too impacting to controls/airbags, but it is also not as deep as it may appear. Remote control head is the best option.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Be sure to post follow up pictures of your installation......I have a Honda civic that has a similar layout. I have been using handheld radios, as I have a sunroof, so a lot less roof to allow for antennas. I am also a bit hesitant with all of the airbags everywhere to go up near the roof too much. The center console cubby hole seems to be about the only place that would not be too impacting to controls/airbags, but it is also not as deep as it may appear. Remote control head is the best option.
I'm not sure when I'll be getting one yet just seeing some options first and look around been thinking of a remote head seems to be better option since you can hide the unit under the seat or somewhere else.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
So much roof, no sunroof, wonderful ground plane. Its begging for a couple of NMO mounts. Here is a video that shows how easy it is to do.
I was kinda want to stay away from drilling holes in the roof. I'm still looking into different options to place scanner antenna and radio antenna so I won't fry the radio or make it deaf.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I was kinda want to stay away from drilling holes in the roof. I'm still looking into different options to place scanner antenna and radio antenna so I won't fry the radio or make it deaf.

Unless you put them closer than a foot or two, you will not damage the scanner. It's likely you'll get some temporary desense when transmitting, but it's not going to fry anything.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Unless you put them closer than a foot or two, you will not damage the scanner. It's likely you'll get some temporary desense when transmitting, but it's not going to fry anything.
I was thinking putting the scanner antenna by the car radio antenna and put the mobile antenna up front.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I was thinking putting the scanner antenna by the car radio antenna and put the mobile antenna up front.

Not sure where the AM/FM antenna is on these, but even if you are not transmitting, you want the scanner antenna away from anything metal. If you put it in close proximity to another antenna, even the AM/FM antenna, it can make it slightly directional.

Usually when I see fender brackets, people will put them on the opposite side from the entertainment radio antenna.

Then put your GMRS antenna up top where it'll do the most good.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Not sure where the AM/FM antenna is on these, but even if you are not transmitting, you want the scanner antenna away from anything metal. If you put it in close proximity to another antenna, even the AM/FM antenna, it can make it slightly directional.

Usually when I see fender brackets, people will put them on the opposite side from the entertainment radio antenna.

Then put your GMRS antenna up top where it'll do the most good.
In post 6 is where the antenna for am/fm is. I was thinking putting the mobile antenna up front or by front hood area. Scanner antenna towards the back I'm not sure if am/fm will effect the scanner antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.