• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Honda Fit 2012 mobile install question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
In post 6 is where the antenna for am/fm is. I was thinking putting the mobile antenna up front or by front hood area. Scanner antenna towards the back I'm not sure if am/fm will effect the scanner antenna.

The AM/FM antenna, if it's too close to the scanner antenna, will act like a reflector. You'd be wise to give it 2 feet or so of space between them.

The higher up you can place the antennas, the better they will work. Less shadowing from the vehicle windshield/roof. Ideal place is on the roof, but if that's totally out of the question, at least spread them out as much as you can.
For the GMRS antenna, you ideally want at least a 1/4 wavelength worth of ground plane in all directions horizontally in all directions under the antenna. Anything else will impact performance and may make it somewhat directional.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
The AM/FM antenna, if it's too close to the scanner antenna, will act like a reflector. You'd be wise to give it 2 feet or so of space between them.

The higher up you can place the antennas, the better they will work. Less shadowing from the vehicle windshield/roof. Ideal place is on the roof, but if that's totally out of the question, at least spread them out as much as you can.
For the GMRS antenna, you ideally want at least a 1/4 wavelength worth of ground plane in all directions horizontally in all directions under the antenna. Anything else will impact performance and may make it somewhat directional.
The roof is 71 inches from front to back. The am/fm antenna is 7 inches from the gap for the hatch back.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The roof is 71 inches from front to back. The am/fm antenna is 7 inches from the gap for the hatch back.

Sorry, didn't look at the photo and was thinking the AM/FM radio antenna was up on the front fender like the 'olden' days'.

So, that's easy. My wife's new truck has the AM/FM/Sirius/XM/GPS antenna on the back of the cab. I installed a 50 watt VHF mobile in it. The VHF 1/4 wave whip is about 16" forward of the stock antenna, and no issues at all.
Would be fine for the scanner antenna. That'll still leave you room for the GMRS antenna. It'll need some spacing from the other two antennas, but 2 feet should be plenty. You can even set them off to either side if that works better for coaxial cable routing.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking putting the gmrs antenna on driver side and scanner antenna on passenger side. I'll look see what spacing is good.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
You will be much happier drilling an NMO and using a 1/4 wave VHF antenna or low profile antenna or something (depending on what frequencies you are focusing on receiving) for the scanner than you will with that mag mount...just sayin'!

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I went out today and did some measuring on the car roof.
From the tip of the car am/fm antenna to the front of windshield is about 64 inches.
From Driver side to the Passenger side is 38 inches. 19 inches in the middle of the two.
I could put the mobile antenna on drive side on top of me and the scanner antenna on passenger side on the back side.

Status
Not open for further replies.