Hong Kong - Experts defend fire department's digital radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
"For instance, he said, someone intending to jump from a building may be provoked by seeing crowds of reporters and onlookers."

Sounds like the same BS reasoning the public safety agencies here try to pull, we do have a lot in common. Sure, you might eliminate 5 or so people showing up with the press, but most crowds at scenes are simply people passing by, hence onlookers. It's funny how many public safety agencies think eliminating scanner monitoring by bring on new and encrypted systems is going to make scenes safer. It won't.

KF4ZTO

Wouldn't surprise me if it was TETRA, although I know some Asian countries are making use of Project 25 systems. I'm leaning more towards TETRA since there are no scanners for that type of system, whereas Project 25 scanners are cheap cheap cheap now.

Looking through the DB returns nothing for Hong Kong. :(

Edit:

While there's nothing for the country of Hong Kong, looking through the China country page and then clicking on Hong Kong from there leads me to this, a Motorola Type II system:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4148

Last edited:

AONE6

Raccon

The HK Fire Services Department has been using the TETRA system since 2003 but so far only for data. For voice communication they have an analog trunking system from Motorola (Smartzone II), which is now being phased out as voice services are moved over to the TETRA system.

The police actually has two TETRA systems, one network (CC3) for the beat police by Motorola and one for the Marine Police and Crime & Security departments by Nokia, which was the first TETRA network for public safety in Asia. One of the local power companies also uses TETRA but in the 800MHz band. There are a few other, smaller networks and more are coming.

Awesome video. That was an interesting overview of TETRA radios and infrastructure, although on the dispatch side in looks the same as a regular Motorola system (Centracom consoles, etc).
The graphical user interface may look very similar but it is a TETRA dispatcher. Actually some of the infrastructure is also "recycled", like the Ambassador Electronics Bank.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
The HK Fire Services Department has been using the TETRA system since 2003 but so far only for data. For voice communication they have an analog trunking system from Motorola (Smartzone II), which is now being phased out as voice services are moved over to the TETRA system.

The police actually has two TETRA systems, one network (CC3) for the beat police by Motorola and one for the Marine Police and Crime & Security departments by Nokia, which was the first TETRA network for public safety in Asia. One of the local power companies also uses TETRA but in the 800MHz band. There are a few other, smaller networks and more are coming.

The graphical user interface may look very similar but it is a TETRA dispatcher. Actually some of the infrastructure is also "recycled", like the Ambassador Electronics Bank.

Back in 2007 I heard there's a few EDACS systems in the 800 MHz band, are they still active or are they being phased out as well?

Are there any systems in Hong Kong that uses APCO P25 voice?

Status
Not open for further replies.