Honolulu, HI - City’s new first responders radio system will be costly

Status
Not open for further replies.

szron

"...Project 25. The standard is being mandated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for first responders nationwide..."

Can we stop with that already... sheesh...

BCFlash

Honolulu's current system can't be monitored with generally available equipment, if the new system is P25 then perhaps some of the talk groups will be in the clear and receivable with a digital scanner. Let's hope so, although I'm sure it will take a long time for a new system to be a reality.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
I'm just wondering...Motorola or Harris?

We'll, if my math is correct - at about 4.7 million dollars per tower , one would have to wonder.

Bid the radio system out. Open bids for thirty days. Go over bids. Select the best bid....not necessarily the lowest, but it could be - and match it up with the best, or most reputable company.

Of course if it was me.........Vertex - P25. :)

FF Medic !!!

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
"...Project 25. The standard is being mandated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for first responders nationwide..."

Can we stop with that already... sheesh...

Actually it's partly true. Getting Homeland Security grant funds for a system that isn't standards-based (P25 or analog) is much more difficult, and nearly impossible.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
This may show my ignorance of Hawaii

This may demonstrate my complete ignorance of Hawaii, but do they really have issues with frequency crowding / demand there that we do on the mainland? If they aren't concerned with trying to jam as many users as possible on the fewest radio frequencies you can (trunking) wouldn't it be much less expensive to simple assign a conventional frequency to each channel with a voter- like we all did before trunking became the rage?

Subscriber units would be considerably less expensive and less complicated. You wouldn't need to purchase and maintain a system controller- having to update the software occasionally etc.

fdscan

I'm actually in Honolulu right now and happened to come across the thread coincidentally...

From what I see, the PD is on some sort of EDACS system and I think I spotted some Harris portables. They look sort of outdated. You can spot the 800 Phantoms on the PD cruisers.

I know there are lots of systems for shuttle buses, taxis, and all the hotels over here. EVERY taxi that I've seen has an antenna (with the exception of a few) and the same can be said about the shuttle buses. The note about the towers having to withstand such extreme wind is interesting, I would have never even thought about that but it is totally necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.