Honolulu Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

aieaboy86

Premium Subscriber
I remember playing with a handheld scanner years ago in HS and college. Looking to start again and was set on the Uniden BCD436HP but there seems to be mixed reviews for the Whistler TRX-1.
Are there any significant pros and cons?
Is one better than the other in Honolulu?

The Uniden runs just above 400 and the Whistler about 480.... after the Uniden is updated with Protalk, they're about the the same price so i see that as a level playing field....

Also is there anyone that can help me program once I get them in should I get stuck?

DeDawg

It would be a really good idea to find someone with each to listen to the decoded audio for intelligible speech. I would love to hear a Whistler P25 P2 radio to see if audio is better than my 536 hp (sameelectronics as the 436). I cannot understand many transmissions due to crappy audio.

Big expense to find you do cannot listen to it.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Uniden Vote

I remember playing with a handheld scanner years ago in HS and college. Looking to start again and was set on the Uniden BCD436HP but there seems to be mixed reviews for the Whistler TRX-1.

The Uniden runs just above 400 and the Whistler about 480.... after the Uniden is updated with Protalk, they're about the the same price so i see that as a level playing field....

Also is there anyone that can help me program once I get them in should I get stuck?

One of the things that is significant, when you are talking about DMR radio traffic, there is only one that does the job, Uniden. From my understanding, the Whistler model does not follow the conversations on DMR and stay on talk groups.

At present, Whistler won't even work on the ProVoice EDACS system for Honolulu. They did not buy the proprietary rights to the EDACS software. Uniden did purchase the right to use the software. They are forward-thinking. I own two 436HP radios.

The Whistler DOES NOT pick up ProVoice. Hopefully, the new Honolulu system won't be encrypted when it is fired up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.