Honoring Paul Opitz aka UPMan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwerty7

While I never met Paul, I considered him to a friend and ally in the Scanning World. He really helped me and so many others understand todays complex Scanners.
When I open the Main Page I see the announcement that he passed and always feel very sad.
Slowly the Announcement will disappear as others come on board and eventually his name will not be nearly as familiar to the community as it is now.
And that bums me out.
I think the Administrators should come up with a small way to keep Paul a permanent fixture in RR as a way of honoring him. He did a lot for our hobby.
I don't know what form it should take and thought I would put it out there for folks to kick the can around with. Nothing elaborate make it simple but it should be there
so folks can know about this good guy. If the Admins approve, it could be a really nice thing.

Qwerty7

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
They could add "in memory of Paul Opitz" on the main Uniden page of the forums somewhere. I don't know what editing options they have for the forums but I'm sure it could be added someway.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Well what do you think RR?... it sounds plausible, maybe in collusion with Uniden.

I think people would be pleased. I'd like to see something like that.

MFC, I certainly think a wiki page is appropriate!

russbrill

How about a Forum called "The Opitz Report". The main purpose of the Opitz Report is to talk about likes, dislikes, equipment reviews, and a wish list for current scanners (all makes and models) and future scanners.

p19997

Premium Subscriber
Absolutely agree with honoring him. I think that a Wiki page is an appropriate way to do it as it would do so as an individual and not just as a Uniden employee. He did a lot for this hobby and touched many.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Wiki page sounds good to me, too. And maybe a section here called something like “Paul Opitz Memorial Gallery” listing the members that have passed. We’ve lost some users that were real big on this site.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
There are many posts by Paul on the forums.

What about changing his avatar to something special and appropriate?
So when I read your post I was thinking about Paul's Avatar and changing it. I don't know how I would feel about that idea but it is an interesting suggestion.

I don't know who would make that change? There's only one person that could and that's not possible anymore

As many know Paul's Avatar and its meaning represented volumes sometimes. It was always an interesting prognosticator.

We can't get back inside his head again like when he picked Felix when Uniden let the cat out of the bag. You know Felix was a whistler because he always whistled when he worked, not to mention his bag of tricks.

Paul said Felix was an inside joke... "inside my own head"

Whenever rumors were swirling and Paul changed his Avatar it was fodder for discussion and prediction.

The SDS 100 was a big hit and of course immediately the speculation started about a base unit version.

Then we had the crude box around the fall of 2018 I'm guessing.

Why it looks exactly like the back of an SDS 200 if you ask me in just the detail that Paul's humor would allow.

I don't know, that avatar's the last one that came out of Paul's head, can we change it?

I don't know.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
So when I read your post I was thinking about Paul's Avatar and changing it. I don't know how I would feel about that idea but it is an interesting suggestion.

I don't know who would make that change? There's only one person that could and that's not possible anymore

I don't know, that avatar's the last one that came out of Paul's head, can we change it?

I don't know.

The admins have the ability to change anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.