Honoring Paul Opitz aka UPMan

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The admins have the ability to change anything...
Of course... I wasn't talking about the actual mechanics of doing it. I think you may have missed the point of the post that you omitted in your quote, but it's all good. (y)

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Of course... I wasn't talking about the actual mechanics of doing it. I think you may have missed the point of the post that you omitted in your quote, but it's all good. (y)

No, I know what you meant. I just meant they can change anything anytime for any of us. But...I think maybe they should edit his signature to include "Paul Opitz - UPMan - " and then the years of his life so that in the future, when people come to these threads and see his posts, they'll hopefully see that in the signature and know he has passed. Somehow people need to know, I guess, because some will come along sometime that don't know him or who he was.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
No, I know what you meant. I just meant they can change anything anytime for any of us. But...I think maybe they should edit his signature to include "Paul Opitz - UPMan - " and then the years of his life so that in the future, when people come to these threads and see his posts, they'll hopefully see that in the signature and know he has passed. Somehow people need to know, I guess, because some will come along sometime that don't know him or who he was.
I have noticed by some comments from people that they don't know who he is and there's nothing wrong with that, not everybody has been around for a long long time.

I was just giving my feelings on his avatars and what they meant, especially Felix.

So he was a ham operator so should be designated a silent key by now.

Actually I think a lot of appropriate things are going to be done and there are some great suggestions here. It's just going to take some time but I'm confident all due respect will be given here.

I have no doubt it's in the works right now.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have noticed by some comments from people that they don't know who he is and there's nothing wrong with that, not everybody has been around for a long long time.

I was just giving my feelings on his avatars and what they meant, especially Felix.

So he was a ham operator so should be designated a silent key by now.

Actually I think a lot of appropriate things are going to be done and there are some great suggestions here. It's just going to take some time but I'm confident all due respect will be given here.

I have no doubt it's in the works right now.
I definitely agree with you that Paul should have been designated a "silent key" by now. He deserves at least that, if not something more. He was a driving force, and influential participant both here on RadioReference, as well as at Uniden. Many of the features of the scanners Uniden has released had features that were either designed by UPMan, or he advocated internally at Uniden for them to be incorporated into the designs of new models.

He was also a fountain of knowledge for questions regarding Uniden products, as well as other aspects of the scanning hobby. He politely answered questions from many members here, including some that never missed a chance to bash him, or Uniden whenever they could. I hope that whoever Uniden names to take over some of his many areas of expertise will at least have some presence on RadioReference, and that Uniden will remain in focus on supporting their current models, as well as any that might be in developement.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I definitely agree with you that Paul should have been designated a "silent key" by now. He deserves at least that, if not something more. He was a driving force, and influential participant both here on RadioReference, as well as at Uniden. Many of the features of the scanners Uniden has released had features that were either designed by UPMan, or he advocated internally at Uniden for them to be incorporated into the designs of new models.

He was also a fountain of knowledge for questions regarding Uniden products, as well as other aspects of the scanning hobby. He politely answered questions from many members here, including some that never missed a chance to bash him, or Uniden whenever they could. I hope that whoever Uniden names to take over some of his many areas of expertise will at least have some presence on RadioReference, and that Uniden will remain in focus on supporting their current models, as well as any that might be in developement.
Yep I agree, I made a post early this morning about his Avatars and how they were key when something was going to happen. I especially liked Felix. He actually spoke in a forum about that Avatar. He said it was an inside joke, inside his own head LOL

Uniden had let the cat out of the bag, Felix was a Whistler too because he whistled while he worked.

Let's give it some time and see what happens. Just having this thread indicates people's interest and wishes that something will be done.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
I agree.

Someone more creative than me might come up with something appropriate (ephemeral?) for the avatar.

Maybe bring back Felix :)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I agree.

Someone more creative than me might come up with something appropriate (ephemeral?) for the avatar.

Maybe bring back Felix :)
Interesting, I appreciate your comments. I thought Felix was pretty cool.

After the introduction of The 100 the rumors and speculation started about a base mobile unit. Hence, in the fall of 2018 we had the crude drawing of the box which if you look at closely appears to be the back of an sds 200 drawn as crudely as Paul's humor would allow.

It came from him and should probably be one of the last authentic memorabilia he left.

Despite the stutter Steps, he hit it out of the park with that radio. ;)

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
What about setting up a link in addition to the other suggestions to a local charity he supported? Maybe the vendors can donate a portion of all sales for a period of time to that same charity?

sfb88

I believe this idea was also mentioned previously. When the Apple II GS first came out, probably too long ago for many of you to remember, it was introduced as a 'Woz" edition. The Woz signature was printed on its cover and a Woz certificate was provided. Maybe Unider could make a special limited run of SDS 200s with Paul's signature printed on them and sell them with part of the proceeds going to a cancer charity.

timdevaney

Premium Subscriber
Hi

Just an idea it seems he contributed a lot to the sds100 and 200 designs why don't they release the firmware update so when you turn the scanner on it comes up Uniden sds100 blah blah blah in loving memory of Paul Opitz and maybe a personal quote from him or message or something that comes up whenever the scanner is turned on of course Uniden would have to agree to this I'm sure there should be no issue to do this

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Hi

Just an idea it seems he contributed a lot to the sds100 and 200 designs why don't they release the firmware update so when you turn the scanner on it comes up Uniden sds100 blah blah blah in loving memory of Paul Opitz and maybe a personal quote from him or message or something that comes up whenever the scanner is turned on of course Uniden would have to agree to this I'm sure there should be no issue to do this

The message that comes up when powered on can be customized by the end user so anyone can make it say that now if they want.

Bob1955

Paul Opitz(UpMan) was a great guy, everyone's best friend and he would go out of his way to help anyone. I had his direct line at Uniden American Corporation in my cell phone.
RIP Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.