Hood County gone too 700mgz can any one confirm ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo0706

Was reading a thing posted on one of my Facebook feeds from some one running for Sheriff and saying Hood county has gone too 700mgz.. Here lately transmission on the Sheriffs frequency's are few and far between. both on here and on the live feed.. Not much going on at all on the Fire Frequencies as well.. Has any one heard any thing ? or know what's going on ?

n0jy

Premium Subscriber
I have not noticed a change based on my somewhat casual scanner listening while I'm in my shack. Fire has been quite busy as usual, with traffic accidents and medical calls. All I could guess is that a move to 700 MHz might well be the result of all of the live feeds and resulting over-reaction or rumors on social media and in the newspaper. IMO the live feeds have a growing negative effect because of the number of listeners who don't understand what is being said or is actually happening. Folks who make the investment in a scanner typically have a better understanding of what they are listening to since they are more invested in the activity. And the feeds also make it cheap and easy for the bad guys to monitor while they do bad guy things, obviously. That alone makes me shake my head and wonder...

I am not blasting those who do feeds, sorry if that sounded that way. I'm simply speculating at what's happening in Granbury (if anything), as you are also inquiring about, since we both live here. I have used feeds now and then and they are quite useful especially listening to an incident outside one's local coverage, where friends or family live for example. But they are (again IMO) definitely a "double edged sword".

I will pay a little closer attention to HCSO traffic to see if it sounds like they are obviously handling some things on other frequencies or modes, now that you have piqued my curiosity. And they do use Spillman a fair bit, as you may have also inferred from the voice traffic, for any information such as close patrol, you know, more personal stuff. Since they know everyone is listening they do it on the laptop. At least they are considerate of Hood County residents', by not broadcasting that you (your address) are on vacation and they are making a close patrol to check your house!

Jerry

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
I was in Hood County on last Friday and did hear a peep in 4 hours the SO UHF/VHF channels. Fire was very active on VHF.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I do see one ULS listing for some 700 MHz frequencies that show up on Digital Frequency Search as P25 conventional for Hood County here that I don't see in the database. Might be worth plugging in and seeing if HCSO moved to them. It makes more since for the rural FDs to stay on UHF/VHF out there though since I think some of the close by departments who run mutual aid only have UHF capable radios.

I would love to see the Fort Worth Regional Radio System expand further out that way since Benbrook is moving/moved that system and Johnson County is on the system.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I programed in all the 700mgz freq and got a bunch of hits but its really garbled.. but am now picking stuff up on Fire..
By "garbled", do you mean 'poor reception? Or 'garbled' as in possibly encrypted?

Are they using digital, not analog? If so, have you been able to capture the NAC being used?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Garbled as in possibly encrypted.
Bummer, but not really surprised.

Depending on the scanner you are using, see if you catch a glimpse of "ENC" on the display.

I've had the 700MHz frequencies programmed for some time. But the only time I'm in range of it is if I'm visiting a friend out in Stephens County, so I would be in range for a short period of time, but have not heard anything. I make that trip every 4 to 6 weeks. The other times I'm in range is if I'm with another friend, going down to Lipan to a craft cheese place. From there, we usually go for lunch to one of several places along 377. But that trip is every 2 or 3 months. I'm too far away when at home/

jimbo0706

Bummer, but not really surprised.

Depending on the scanner you are using, see if you catch a glimpse of "ENC" on the display.

I've had the 700MHz frequencies programmed for some time. But the only time I'm in range of it is if I'm visiting a friend out in Stephens County, so I would be in range for a short period of time, but have not heard anything. I make that trip every 4 to 6 weeks. The other times I'm in range is if I'm with another friend, going down to Lipan to a craft cheese place. From there, we usually go for lunch to one of several places along 377. But that trip is every 2 or 3 months. I'm too far away when at home/
I am using a BCD536HP

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Also, if it is encrypted, you will only hear a blip of audio then it will snap right back into scanning. During that one second or so of blip you will see ENC on the lower corner if it is encrypted. The new Unidens insta mute encrypted audio, hence only the one or so second "blip"

jimbo0706

I don't know whats going on.. there is no ENC when it comes up garbled. But I can pick up surrounding county's just fine that are further away then the Hood county towers..

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Simulcast distortion could be a possibility. Yet again, looks like there's only one site. So...guess not. If you have an SDR at your disposal and a laptop or tablet running DSD+, parking it on the active control channel and watching the log of transmissions would tell you if encryption exists for sure if ENC isn't showing up on your 536HP

Last edited:

jimbo0706

Simulcast distortion could be a possibility. Yet again, looks like there's only one site. So...guess not. If you have an SDR at your disposal and a laptop or tablet running DSD+, parking it on the active control channel and watching the log of transmissions would tell you if encryption exists for sure if ENC isn't showing up on your 536HP
No SDR..

jimbo0706

Also, if it is encrypted, you will only hear a blip of audio then it will snap right back into scanning. During that one second or so of blip you will see ENC on the lower corner if it is encrypted. The new Unidens insta mute encrypted audio, hence only the one or so second "blip"
And this is what its doing but with out the ENC..

ab5r

Uhhh? Isn't Simulcast Interference result of two or more towers/antennas transmitting simultaneously? Is that several towers or just one as shown in RR Database? Just asking......

Status
Not open for further replies.