Hood County new license

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hood County has been issued a new license for two 700MHz frequencies.

The notes in the license indicate that they requested these to enhance interoperability. The emissions codes indicate P25 Phase I as well as Phase II, but the license issued is for conventional usage, not trunked.

nd5y

I saw that when they filed the application a last month. That doesn't make any sense. The two frequencies aren't even interoperability channels and I don't think anything else in that area is on 700 or 800 MHz.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I saw that when they filed the application a last month. That doesn't make any sense. The two frequencies aren't even interoperability channels and I don't think anything else in that area is on 700 or 800 MHz.
That's what I was thinking. Parker has a 700MHz site on their P25 system, but on my trips out west, every two or three weeks, I only see activity from the Vhf sites. Don't recall ever getting a hit on the 700MHz site in Weatherford.

Johnson County is using 700MHz, but, like Parker, that is on their FWRRS trunking site.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe I've seen it noted that P25 Phase II is only available using a trunking system, not conventionally. P25 Phase I, sure, can be used conventional, but not Phase II.

Erath has two assigned 800MHz frequencies on a trunked system license, but here again, when I spend time in Stephens County, I have never heard anything on them.

NC5267

Got some family in Hood County so I am up there a few times a year. After narrowing everything down maybe the HCSO is going to use the two frequencies as stand alone 700 mnz P25 repeaters in place of their primary VHF use for dispatch? It seems far fetched but with dual band and all band radios all over the market could be a possibility if they can't afford to get their own little trunked system.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Got some family in Hood County so I am up there a few times a year. After narrowing everything down maybe the HCSO is going to use the two frequencies as stand alone 700 mnz P25 repeaters in place of their primary VHF use for dispatch? It seems far fetched but with dual band and all band radios all over the market could be a possibility if they can't afford to get their own little trunked system.
Their existing system seems to work as is, and Hood is a small size county both in area & population. As I noted above, why would they license for P25 Phase II if not using a trunked system.

Their most logical move, if they wanted to go to a trunked system, would be to go in as another layer on FWRSS, or join the Parker County Vhf P25 system. Of course, besides the radios, there would be some sort of monthly fee for radios being used on one of the two neighboring trunked systems.

nd5y

I found a couple things in the commissioners court agendas.

7/12/16
5. Discuss and take appropriate actions to move forward with the said property (Pleasant Court) at tower location and accept assess easement and general warranty deed and terminate the existing lease on tower location. This is in conjunction with the North Central Texas Council of Government moving forward with a public safety radio tower project in Hood County. (ComP4)

7/26/16
a. Consider and take appropriate action regarding approval and signing of the NCTCOG inter local agreement for the Pleasant Court Radio Tower. (SO)

Maybe NCTCOG is putting in a trunked site.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You could be correct. But that current system gets so little use at this time that it's practically non-existent.

KG5TQZ

Maybe the new frequencies are for Granbury PD, which is dispatched out of the Hood County dispatch center. I have not heard a single PD communication in the last 3 days. I have also not seen or heard any updates about their system.

nd5y

Maybe the new frequencies are for Granbury PD, which is dispatched out of the Hood County dispatch center. I have not heard a single PD communication in the last 3 days. I have also not seen or heard any updates about their system.
Have you heard anything on the two 700 MHz frequencies?
Have you searched for P25 control channels between 769-775 MHz?
If NCTCOG installed a trunked site they could be using other 700 MHz frequencies under the state license.

Are you listening to them with PL decode with the tone shown in the database? If so you could be missing if they went digital. Their license shows emission designators for DMR and P25. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WNUD349

Last edited:

KG5TQZ

If NCTCOG installed a trunked site they could be using other 700 MHz frequencies under the state license.

Are you listening to them with PL decode with the tone shown in the database? If so you could be missing if they went digital. Their license shows emission designators for DMR and P25. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WNUD349

I have heard nothing on the 700 MHz Freq's.

GPD apparently went digital on their original frequency over the weekend. I changed from analog to digital and put in NAC 7F3, which corresponds to their old PL tone, and now I get garbled noise when they transmit. Obviously, I'm not getting something right, but I'm getting close. I don't have the ability to decode with what I have so I'll have to wait for someone else to narrow down what's going on with this system.

Thanks for the heads up and the hints.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

Unless something changes, I'll be out that way this weekend, and will have the frequencies entered to see if there is any activity. As these were recently licensed, it's possible they are not yet active.

NC5267

Garbled noise could be encryption. I know a few towns smaller than Granbury that are fully encrypted on all their PD channels.

techguru

I have heard nothing on the 700 MHz Freq's.

GPD apparently went digital on their original frequency over the weekend. I changed from analog to digital and put in NAC 7F3, which corresponds to their old PL tone, and now I get garbled noise when they transmit. Obviously, I'm not getting something right, but I'm getting close. I don't have the ability to decode with what I have so I'll have to wait for someone else to narrow down what's going on with this system.

Thanks for the heads up and the hints.

GPD is now ENCRYPTED!

262vbte.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.