• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Hoosier SAFE-T thread 2019-

milf

Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin
Gtown should be live by April. (Should be.) The 2 other new stand alones in Henry Co. should be on by Summer. As should the new simulcast up North. (Again, should be.....) Currently IPSC is pushing FirstNET hard, hard, hard every chance they get. Doing demos of the capabilities for data management, sharing, etc...

Since things are slow right now i'll throw out a question i've been wondering for awhile. Why do "statewide" talkgroups only appear on certain sites? Tonight I could hear Elkhart County and Tippecanoe County talking on a statewide channel on one site in northeast Indiana but not on the site in the next county to the west. Geographically this doesn't make sense that you skip the county in between.

Or is it that someone with a subscriber radio that happened to be on that talkgroup was traveling through the county I heard them on and affiliated with the site? I hope i'm not too confusing.

milf

Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin
Since things are slow right now i'll throw out a question i've been wondering for awhile. Why do "statewide" talkgroups only appear on certain sites? Tonight I could hear Elkhart County and Tippecanoe County talking on a statewide channel on one site in northeast Indiana but not on the site in the next county to the west. Geographically this doesn't make sense that you skip the county in between.

Or is it that someone with a subscriber radio that happened to be on that talkgroup was traveling through the county I heard them on and affiliated with the site? I hope i'm not too confusing.
Yes, a radio with those TG's in an active Zone has to be affiliated to the site for you to hear the TG's. The radio may be on any of the TG's in the Zone but you would be able to hear any of the TG's in that Zone if they get used, unless the TG's are not allowed on that site. For instance, an IN SEMA/INDHS unit rolls through and affiliated, you would be able to hear any of the TG's that are in the selected Zone of his radios, even if he has parked and gone to a restroom as long as the radios are on. (And yes, this means both his mobile, and HT.) **Assuming that like most users, they have an primary TG they are using, but also usually have the radio scanning the Zone to not miss traffic.**

Last edited: