Hoosier SAFE-T thread 2020-

Status
Not open for further replies.

west-pac

Outside of IDOC, has anyone noticed a site, that geographically should allow certain TGs, but is programmed to deny them? Site 1.22 allows Blackford, Grant, Huntington, and Wells counties, as well as DNR/ICO, but denies Adams and Wabash counties, and ISP. I'm not sure if INDOT is allowed on that site. Given that that site is located along I-69 I'm surprised ISP is denied access.

usswood

Outside of IDOC, has anyone noticed a site, that geographically should allow certain TGs, but is programmed to deny them? Site 1.22 allows Blackford, Grant, Huntington, and Wells counties, as well as DNR/ICO, but denies Adams and Wabash counties, and ISP. I'm not sure if INDOT is allowed on that site. Given that that site is located along I-69 I'm surprised ISP is denied access.
Our Downtown site (Vigo county funded) denies all IDOT traffic, but those are the only denials I have seen on it, other than non programmed talk-groups for out of towners passing by

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Greenwood only allows Johnson County traffic unless forced affiliations occur, or was doing this last time I ran Pro96Com or UT on it. Maybe due to that site also is covered by the ISP D52 site, and thus State traffic rolls on it. As far as I know the other 2 JoCo sites allow all traffic. Though it has been a while since I analyzed Gwood.

DiGiTaLD

Greenwood only allows Johnson County traffic unless forced affiliations occur, or was doing this last time I ran Pro96Com or UT on it. Maybe due to that site also is covered by the ISP D52 site, and thus State traffic rolls on it. As far as I know the other 2 JoCo sites allow all traffic. Though it has been a while since I analyzed Gwood.
I've been watching Greenwood since September 2007. You are spot-on as far as it allowing local only talkgroups with a few exceptions. I think a big reason behind this is because ISP has mobile radios, and they have significant overlapping coverage in the Greenwood area from multiple sites, (ISP 52, IGC-N, Mooresville, Franklin) but AFAIK Greenwood PD only has portables so the site is geared at local coverage. I know it doesn't typically allow ISP districts, DNR, Morgan County, Hendricks County, but yet sometimes I see a Shelby County talkgroup come up on there when a radio happens to affiliate which is kind of weird since its a good way from Shelby. I routinely used to hear Hendricks County talkgroups on there, but not any more.

The site does allow regional and statewide mutual aid, ISDH, ISP specialized units (DES, ERT) and IDHS talkgroups just to name a few. I think having all that ISP district traffic on there would just be too much for the site to still provide reliable local service.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
GPD will be having to add some kind of mobile radios as the full integration of FirstNet is rolled out. That way they can have the full mobile data set up as integrated data/communications is one of the things FirstNet is so touted for. And I think GPD is the ONLY non FED LEA that runs with no in car radios.

west-pac

I noticed sites 1.2 and 1.75 are tied for having the most voice channels on a single site in the DB (14 voice channels), I've monitored 1.75 a handful of times and have never got UT or DSD+ to populate 14 voice channels. Currently monitoring 1.75, DSD+ has only populated 8 total frequencies. I know it's a Sunday morning and radio traffic is light, but is it feasible that 7 more repeaters are sitting there idle? Other sites I've monitored have only had 1 or 2 additional voice channels sitting idle until needed.

For the technically-minded folks, do some of the unused voice channels repeaters completely power down after some length of inactivity, or until some level of activity puts them into a standby mode?

For the DB Admins, after what length of solid monitoring should I submit my findings on the accurate number of voice channels; a week, a month, 3 months?

dfoutch

Premium Subscriber
IDOC questions: Heard thru ISP Indy dispatch, DOC transport (Call sign "Trip") calling Miami Remote. So is transport HQs in Indianapolis (re local affiliation), and why is Miami remoted.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Miami Correctional is a state prison on the Grissom AFB property in Miami County. Could that be "Miami Remote"?

west-pac

With the last firmware update that IPSC did, did that allow for more RIDs, or is the system still pretty much full?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
There are still plenty of RID's available for IPSC to assign. Back in the analog days they had it at the breaking point, but now we are P25, and its a whole other world. The new ASTRO-25 FW does not increase RID's, it does set up a more robust data interactivity, set up the entire network to now be TDMA capable, fully OTAR/OTAP capable with "edge" capabilities, Enhanced Geo Select GPS tracking and geofencing... And other things.

west-pac

There are still plenty of RID's available for IPSC to assign. Back in the analog days they had it at the breaking point, but now we are P25, and its a whole other world. The new ASTRO-25 FW does not increase RID's, it does set up a more robust data interactivity, set up the entire network to now be TDMA capable, fully OTAR/OTAP capable with "edge" capabilities, Enhanced Geo Select GPS tracking and geofencing... And other things.

When was the SAFE-T system ever analog?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
It was just converted about 2 years ago now from Motorola Legacy "Type II" SmartZone OmniLink "Mixed Mode" to an ASTRO-25 true P25 system. It originally had both analog, and digital (P25 CAI) talkgroups.

DiGiTaLD

It was just converted about 2 years ago now from Motorola Legacy "Type II" SmartZone OmniLink "Mixed Mode" to an ASTRO-25 true P25 system. It originally had both analog, and digital (P25 CAI) talkgroups.
This. Many counties still had "legacy" subscribers for a long time. When I first started listening to IPSC regularly around 2005, here in Johnson County where I live, all of the fire and EMS were using analog talkgroups while only law enforcement was digital. The fire departments started out with analog-only subscribers such as the MTS 2000 which were obviously much less expensive to acquire, especially for the volunteer only departments.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
There are still a few XTS/XTL units but these are very quickly being purged. IPSC, IDPSC were doing work this week on finding, and removing (including stun/kill) old RID's that are "missing/lost/stolen" radios and "mislabeled" radios in the databases. Including radios from the "Superbowl Cache". A few of which have been missing ever since then! All part of the upgrades to IDPSC and SAFE-T systems.

west-pac

Every TG I used was digital, from when the system rolled out in the northern part of the start. Originally we got EFJ's because we could outfit almost everyone in the county, including many of the volunteer FDs trucks and personnel. Thinking back to that time, were the regional MA and SWMA TGs, or maybe INDOT originally analog? I seem to recall hearing analog on my scanner, but I can't recall ever using analog on my radio.

west-pac

There are still a few XTS/XTL units but these are very quickly being purged.

I know of an entire EMS agency that bought, carries, and uses XTS's on SAFE-T. I take it IPSC won't issue IDs for XTS/XTLs anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.