Hoosier SAFE-T thread 2020-

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd9jay

Truck Driver
Premium Subscriber
Elkhart County info just updated on the database under safe-t. I don't know when Elkhart county will switch from vhf to safe-t. I was told 11-10-2020 but that didn't happen, was then told too day it will be 11-18-2020 so we'll wait and see

FrostTheFox

Feed Provider
Elkhart County info just updated on the database under safe-t. I don't know when Elkhart county will switch from vhf to safe-t. I was told 11-10-2020 but that didn't happen, was then told too day it will be 11-18-2020 so we'll wait and see

Thanks for that update. Goshen PD also appears to have reverted to VHF for the time being. They were at least partially on SAFE-T before.

kd9jay

Truck Driver
Premium Subscriber
yes they cut vhf patch to the system back in oct. And little more info in county fire they are going to split up the Fire Departments up in districts. so not sure what departments are going to use what talk group and how paging going to be done. one guy said that they will tone out on vhf and talk on safe-t ???? but he said too day that might change with the new 911 center upgrades being done by the first of 2021. who knows maybe p25 paging?

FrostTheFox

Feed Provider
yes they cut vhf patch to the system back in oct. And little more info in county fire they are going to split up the Fire Departments up in districts. so not sure what departments are going to use what talk group and how paging going to be done. one guy said that they will tone out on vhf and talk on safe-t ???? but he said too day that might change with the new 911 center upgrades being done by the first of 2021. who knows maybe p25 paging?

That might explain some of the talkgroups I'm seeing in my archive. Looking at it now I see about 17 new talkgroups that showed up over the past couple months or so, some have little traffic but a couple had a fair bit of traffic and the station grouping on one of them looks a lot like a northern region talkgroup or something. We'll see though.

On another note, anyone know anything about the MPSCS/SAFE-T link and how it might show up when monitoring SAFE-T? I know there was some talk that they were testing the connection between the systems, while I was looking through my archives I found a call that SDRTrunk IDd as TG 5346, didn't get an RID decode. The caller called "Fire EMS" and mentioned their radio had "converted to the Indiana system" around a certain road, and that their "Michigan radio has 1 bar still connected to Site 4 in Michigan". I assume this is the Sumnerville site on MPSCS. I've seen a couple other TG IDs like this and wrote them off as bad decodes, but now it makes me wonder because they were all 4 digit like some of MPSCS's talkgroups.

DJ11DLN

That will probably depend on how many of the FD's can afford to ditch their Minitors and get Unications. I'm far from the area under discussion but the vast majority here still get toned out on VHF even though they operated on Safe-T because they can't afford to replace all of those pagers.

FrostTheFox

Feed Provider
That will probably depend on how many of the FD's can afford to ditch their Minitors and get Unications. I'm far from the area under discussion but the vast majority here still get toned out on VHF even though they operated on Safe-T because they can't afford to replace all of those pagers.

The neighboring county and Elkhart city fire use P25 based dispatching, so it is possible they take advice from them, but you’re right, all about who can afford what.

kd9jay

Truck Driver
Premium Subscriber
As of today 11/18/20 Elkhart County is on safe-t. Will have to update the talk groups as not hearing all departments so if anyone hears a new talk group please update rr database thanks happy scanning

FrostTheFox

Feed Provider
As of today 11/18/20 Elkhart County is on safe-t. Will have to update the talk groups as not hearing all departments so if anyone hears a new talk group please update rr database thanks happy scanning
Yep, system is looking busy today!

Thanks to their checks of all stations' radios this morning, I've nailed down the 3 fire districts of the county (includes Goshen fire). I'll submit those talkgroups to the DB. I'll probably make a little map of them, I guess throw it up on the wiki for Elkhart County? With regards to how county fire is being dispatched, their announcement this morning advised calls will come through on SAFE-T. The exact way it's been coming out has varied (probably just because it's new procedure), but the general gist is a short call with the station name and Signal 76/10-50 PI/whatever is going on, then at least 2 longer calls with the full details, and between at least 1 of these calls they use the Motorola console alert 3 tone for a couple seconds. Example

I've still got a fair bit of talkgroups that are unknowns, probably some tacticals/firegrounds, will submit them as I ID them. ECSO seems to have dispatch traffic coming over what used to be their "ops" channels, so they may be in districts as well. Working on figuring that out next.

kd9jay

Truck Driver
Premium Subscriber
Thanks I don't have a true scanner so its harder for me to figure out talkgroups im running a raspberry pi with op25 mobile in the semi truck

calvinfs

Yep, system is looking busy today!

Thanks to their checks of all stations' radios this morning, I've nailed down the 3 fire districts of the county (includes Goshen fire). I'll submit those talkgroups to the DB. I'll probably make a little map of them, I guess throw it up on the wiki for Elkhart County? With regards to how county fire is being dispatched, their announcement this morning advised calls will come through on SAFE-T. The exact way it's been coming out has varied (probably just because it's new procedure), but the general gist is a short call with the station name and Signal 76/10-50 PI/whatever is going on, then at least 2 longer calls with the full details, and between at least 1 of these calls they use the Motorola console alert 3 tone for a couple seconds. Example

I've still got a fair bit of talkgroups that are unknowns, probably some tacticals/firegrounds, will submit them as I ID them. ECSO seems to have dispatch traffic coming over what used to be their "ops" channels, so they may be in districts as well. Working on figuring that out next.

Goshen PD Dispatch appears to be using TG 10221, which is identified as 20-ELE-OPS4 in the database.

FrostTheFox

Feed Provider
Goshen PD Dispatch appears to be using TG 10221, which is identified as 20-ELE-OPS4 in the database.
Agree with that. No evidence of districts, but it looks like 10220 is being used for the Goshen City/Elkhart County court security (might not be new, but just happened to notice it now). 10219 had a couple Goshen RIDs mixed with SO RIDs so it's possible that's still an ops channel. Going to wait to submit these until I have a little bit more data to work with.

Last edited:

mjk3997

It appears Elkhart county PD is up on safe-t this morning 8/19/2020 .So far all I have copied is dispatch on talk group 10208
It appears Elkhart county PD is up on safe-t this morning 8/19/2020 .So far all I have copied is both sides of dispatch on talk group 10208

mjk3997

Also found two unidentified talk groups at least on the System Talkgroups page . 12722 and 12724. Both refer to dispatch during transmission. with 12722 I believe I heard Nappanee reverenced...

FrostTheFox

Feed Provider
Also found two unidentified talk groups at least on the System Talkgroups page . 12722 and 12724. Both refer to dispatch during transmission. with 12722 I believe I heard Nappanee reverenced...

12722-12724 are the district fire talk groups. I have already submitted those to the DB.

mjk3997

12722-12724 are the district fire talk groups. I have already submitted those to the DB.
Thank you for submitting those two. One more turned up today 12729. I would assume it's just another TG from district fire talk groups. One question when you say district fire talk groups are you talking Elkhart county or just the whole district 24 area. Sorry for my very poor knowledge base. I just came home from seven years in Charlottesville and my pro 197 was dead. I just thought Indiana had switched to phase 2. Then I noticed Elkhart Simulcast had switched from 800MHz to 700 MHz and South bend had new 800MHz frequencies. Anyways I put them in the scanner and low and behold everything came alive. Even the talk groups for the most part were the same. Oddly South bend PD ,St Joe County and ISP also were on 700MHz. Was that because I was hearing them through the Elkhart simulcast system as apposed to hearing them directly.
Thankyou so much to everybody for your invaluable help given to me in both a slightly different system in Virginia and getting me up and running back home. Wonderful people wonderful resource..

FrostTheFox

Feed Provider
Thank you for submitting those two. One more turned up today 12729. I would assume it's just another TG from district fire talk groups. One question when you say district fire talk groups are you talking Elkhart county or just the whole district 24 area. Sorry for my very poor knowledge base. I just came home from seven years in Charlottesville and my pro 197 was dead. I just thought Indiana had switched to phase 2. Then I noticed Elkhart Simulcast had switched from 800MHz to 700 MHz and South bend had new 800MHz frequencies. Anyways I put them in the scanner and low and behold everything came alive. Even the talk groups for the most part were the same. Oddly South bend PD ,St Joe County and ISP also were on 700MHz. Was that because I was hearing them through the Elkhart simulcast system as apposed to hearing them directly.
Thankyou so much to everybody for your invaluable help given to me in both a slightly different system in Virginia and getting me up and running back home. Wonderful people wonderful resource..

I also have 12729 on my list, but the only call I have recorded from it was before the county went live on SAFE-T. Sounded encrypted but could've just been testing. The radio ID from that call hasn't showed up anywhere else so hard for me to say much about it. Another TG, 12733 was pretty alive today with a pursuit, they referred to the channel as "blue". It sounded like Goshen units, but the dispatcher radio ID hasn't been seen elsewhere. I'm guessing some sort of tactical but still needs more data.

Regarding the district fire talk groups, it's only the fire stations within Elkhart County (except all the Elkhart City stations, they have their own talkgroups). I threw together a map with the stations color coded by district. D1 = 12722, D2=12723, D3=12724.

I can't speak a whole lot to the SJC site, but looking at the database it appears to be all 800mhz, so I'm guessing you were hearing South Bend, SJC & ISP over the 700mhz Elkhart Simulcast. It's pretty common to hear those agencies as well as some from Marshall, Kosiuscko and LaGrange counties. All it takes is one of those agencies' radios to connect to the Elkhart site and their talkgroup will start coming through.

And yeah if you have any other questions about SAFE-T especially in this area, I'm always open for questions, only gotten familiar with it this past year or so but I've learned a lot in that time :)

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Here is some just FYI on how the Regional Mutual Aid TG's are set up to be used, this is from the IPSC FB page. Day 24 of the #IPSCCountdown is our best practice guide for using the Regional Mutual Aid talkgroups (A-MA1, B-MA1...) MA-1 should be used for priority calls - because the system recognizes this as priority traffic and sends that message out first at all tower sites in your area, it’s also monitored by ISP so they can assist if necessary or requested. MA-2 and MA-3 may be used for ANY interoperability needs. MA-4 is programmed in all medical helicopters that routinely fly in Indiana and is available for direct scene to helicopter transmissions. You DO NOT have to ask permission to use these talkgroups but keep in mind they are a shared resource - be a good steward of the system when using them!

mjk3997

Just a few questions after a few weeks back home monitoring the new Northern Indiana systems and talk groups. Mainly surrounding the St Joe and Elkhart county simulcast systems. I use a pro 197. One bank set to the new 700mhz Elkhart simulcast using a wildcard set up with their primary and secondary control channels All of both city and county talk groups are as normal with the new frequencies. Another bank set up to the St Joe County 800mhz system with wildcard set to their control channels but the system is completely dark. As it happens all transmissions are being heard on the Elkhart 700mhz system. But As FrostTheFox explained to me all St Joe county needed was to have one radio connected to Elkhart's system and I'd hear everything on 700mhz. The odd thing is I have been getting hits on St Joe County's 800mhz system but not once from them but from surrounding county's like Marshall, Kosiuscko Laporte and LaGrange counties plus towns also. Interestingly I've gotten hits from them on the Elkhart 700mhz system also. Which would make since from what FrostThefox told me. But what I can't seem to grasp why I can't hear St Joe directly. Especially since I can hear the outlying counties on their frequencies. The talk groups for the most part are still identical. The coverage map for St Joe extends clear into Lagrange county. I should have no problem with a copy of them. So I guess there is some technical issue which I have zero understanding of at play .Or some parameter is off in my radio settings. Another interesting novelty is South bend PD comes and goes. I assume they turn off at times the radio connected to Elkhart. The county PD and fire never go dark though. Interesting stuff guys...

mjk3997

There is something not programmed right on your scanner.
well I guess that could be .But both simulcast systems are identical. Parameters in scanner settings are identical. I rechecked type it's P25 AUTO. The control channels are rechecked. I programed in LaPorte's simulcast. It's a little far away but was able to copy a couple transmissions. so it works. Thanks milf for your help. I'm at a loss. But will keep investigating. If there is anything you think I'm missing let me know. I'm a long way from being an expert that's is for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.