Hoosier SAFE-T thread 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Let's start a new thread for reports of SAFE-T system changes and updates.

Previous "general information" SAFE-T threads:
2020 Hoosier SAFE-T thread 2020-
2019 Hoosier SAFE-T thread 2019-
2013-2018 Hoosier SAFE-T Thread 2013-2018

Current APCO P25 Phase 1 system in database: Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

Deprecated Motorola Type II system in database: Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T (Motorola) Trunking System, Northeast Indiana, Indiana - Scanner Frequencies

SAFE-T in the RadioReference Wiki: Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T (P25) System Information - The RadioReference Wiki

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
Couple of new (to me anyway) RIDs to start 2021.

9308908 - NWS Northern Indiana
9310287 - Nat Guard Air Unit
9903118 - US Fish & Wildlife 50-38

Thanks @AK9R for keeping the SAFE-T threads organized!

titothefixer

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone been able to hear anything via the Kokomo tower? ISP, and surrounding counties used to come in clear but I haven’t heard anything more than garbled noise since yesterday.

west-pac

Has anyone been able to hear anything via the Kokomo tower? ISP, and surrounding counties used to come in clear but I haven’t heard anything more than garbled noise since yesterday.

Their tower has been in 'Site Trunking'. Since Howard county uses their own radio system you probably won't hear much of anything. The ISP and surrounding county radios should be programmed to avoid that tower since its no longer connected to the rest of the state system. This could be a temporary equipment malfunction, or it could be permanent. Most likely it's temporary though. Since Howard county uses their own county-owned radio system, IPSC doesn't necessarily need to make this repair a high priority.

The Marion tower was in Site Trunking for a day during the past 3 days also. The Marion tower came back online yesterday, so maybe the Kokomo tower will come back online today or tomorrow.

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
That helps! I was up there today and held on the Kokomo tower for a bit and didn't get one transmission.

Miami Correctional was VERY busy. Confirmed TGs in the 12501-12505 range.

I need to take the UniTrunker/ProScan setup next time I do a road trip.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Since Howard county uses their own county-owned radio system, IPSC doesn't necessarily need to make this repair a high priority.
Wouldn't ISP, INDOT, and other state agencies be impacted by this outage?

west-pac

Wouldn't ISP, INDOT, and other state agencies be impacted by this outage?

It's not an outage, it's a disconnection. The tower is still there, and anybody on that tower can communicate with anyone else on that tower. The issue is, that tower (Kokomo, 1.55) can not communicate with any other tower; but I presume you know this.

The radio will tell you if you're on a tower that is site trunking, then you can change the site you're connected to, if you wish. There are advantages to staying on the wide-area system; and advantages to staying on your home site-trunking tower. It just depends on your situation.

Does it affect those driving through that area?... maybe not as much as one might think. From my experience, there is a good amount of overlap. If you can receive multiple towers from a scanner sitting on your desk, so can a radio sitting on your desk.

west-pac

That helps! I was up there today and held on the Kokomo tower for a bit and didn't get one transmission.

Miami Correctional was VERY busy. Confirmed TGs in the 12501-12505 range.

I need to take the UniTrunker/ProScan setup next time I do a road trip.

What information are you wanting from Unitrunker? I've ran DSD+/Unitrunker on Site 92 before.

AK9R

Super Moderator
The radio will tell you if you're on a tower that is site trunking, then you can change the site you're connected to, if you wish.
If you know how. I'll bet there are a lot of users who don't know how to do that.

But, yes, I should have said "disconnection" rather than "outage".

mjk3997

New channel caught for the data base update 12736 . Caught on Elkhart's simulcast system. Likely fire channel... SDS 200 channel scan

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
IPSC regularly posts reminders of what to do in event of Site Trunking. To all users. On the FB group. On the IPSC webpages. A couple of us have even posted these reminders to the forums here. There is also constant reminders that if there IS an issue, call the SPOC.

Last edited by a moderator:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Johnson County was doing radio work on 41 EVENTS 8 this am. Not sure if it was checking new radios, or new codeplugs, or making sure repaired units were okay.

usswood

Our Downtown site (Vigo county funded) denies all IDOT traffic, but those are the only denials I have seen on it, other than non programmed talk-groups for out of towners passing by.

I posted this back in Sept of last year...as the new year has started is seems IDOT is now broadcasting there DOT-11-SUB on the downtown tower! I wonder why the change, but Im sure they like it instead of the bongs they get off the South tower with only 5 voice paths...First time I have every heard IDOT on this tower! LOL

west-pac

I posted this back in Sept of last year...as the new year has started is seems IDOT is now broadcasting there DOT-11-SUB on the downtown tower! I wonder why the change, but Im sure they like it instead of the bongs they get off the South tower with only 5 voice paths...First time I have every heard IDOT on this tower! LOL

Illinois DOT (IDOT) uses the Vigo county towers?

Or are you talking about Indiana DOT (INDOT)?

I only ask because I haven't heard of neighboring states using each others systems, other than Indiana and Michigan's agreement that was circulated a year ago or so.

usswood

Illinois DOT (IDOT) uses the Vigo county towers?

Or are you talking about Indiana DOT (INDOT)?

I only ask because I haven't heard of neighboring states using each others systems, other than Indiana and Michigan's agreement that was circulated a year ago or so.
Indiana... DOT had been denied on that tower, seems it has been lifted, now I'm not sure about all IDOT talkgroups, but as for now I have seen DOT-11-SUB and DOT-10-TRW... Now for one I don't understand that comes across is DOT-TMC-IN since we are no where near Indy! LOL

west-pac

Indiana... DOT had been denied on that tower, seems it has been lifted, now I'm not sure about all IDOT talkgroups, but as for now I have seen DOT-11-SUB and DOT-10-TRW... Now for one I don't understand that comes across is DOT-TMC-IN since we are no where near Indy! LOL

TMC has 3 operationally TGs, (one for Gary, one for Indy, and one for an imaginary "Falls City" (nickname of Louisville)), and one statewide TG. If INDOT-TMC is divided into North, Central, and South; Vigo county would be in the Central zone, or Indy TG. Also, the way the majority of the SAFE-T TGs work, a tower won't broadcast a TG unless a user is affiliated to that local tower with a radio on that specific TG. So if a Vigo county tower is broadcasting the TMC-IN TG, then someone locally has a radio on that channel; Most likely a local INDOT facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.