Horizontal V shaped Dipole or Delta loop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walterb

Premium Subscriber
I’m wanting a good wire antenna for SW listening only.
Since I’m limited on space I can put up a horizontal dipole in a V shape instead of the normal T shape. Or would it be better to close the end of the V and make it a delta loop that is horizontal? I’ve seen a lot of web projects that were inverted V dipoles running from the ground up, but nothing horizontal to the ground. Would it still be omni directional?

thanks

zz0468

QRT
Banned
A 'V' shaped dipole works just fine, so long as the apex isn't less than 90 degrees and the ends fold back on themselves. No, it won't be omni directional, but the directional characteristics shouldn't be enough to even notice.

It could be an interesting experiment to see what works best for you... the dipole, or a delta loop arrangement. Try 'em both and get back to us.

walterb

Premium Subscriber
A 'V' shaped dipole works just fine, so long as the apex isn't less than 90 degrees and the ends fold back on themselves. No, it won't be omni directional, but the directional characteristics shouldn't be enough to even notice.

It could be an interesting experiment to see what works best for you... the dipole, or a delta loop arrangement. Try 'em both and get back to us.

Hi,

I don't believe there would be an apex. it would be horizontal to the ground. in other words take a tradtional dipole and move both arms of the dipole from a 9 and 3 o'clock position to a 10 and 2 o'clock position.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The corner of an isosceles triangle is called an apex, so it doesn't matter whether it's vertical or horizontal. The point being, so long as the angle is greater than 90 degrees, it'll work just fine as an antenna, horizontal or vertical. Vee antennas built just like you describe, are very common, and work just fine.

walterb

Premium Subscriber
The corner of an isosceles triangle is called an apex, so it doesn't matter whether it's vertical or horizontal. The point being, so long as the angle is greater than 90 degrees, it'll work just fine as an antenna, horizontal or vertical. Vee antennas built just like you describe, are very common, and work just fine.

I see. I was thinking apex in terms of the way the dictionary defines as the highest point. So a long V dipole with each leg at about 100 feet would be better than a short traditional T shaped dipole with each leg at about 25 feet? it would also be better than a delta loop with 3 legs of 100 feet each?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.