Horry County Sheriff District

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevez97

Premium Subscriber
Will be moving into our new (winter) condo in Myrtle Beach. I'm setting up some radios to monitor radio traffic in the area.

Our condo is in the 501 / River Oaks Dr region. Is that the Central district for HCS?

Thanks in advance for your help.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Welcome (soon) to South Carolina.

Note that, unlike other counties in South Carolina, the primary law enforcement patrol agency in Horry County is the Horry County Police Department. The Horry County Sheriff doesn't have direct responsibility for the patrol and investigation functions in the County.

I do not see a patrol map on their website Horry County Police

But I do see reference on the Wiki page Horry County Police Department - Wikipedia that the Carolina Forest area is actually in the South district/region/precinct. It looks like River Oaks Dr is close to Carolina Forest, so I would be inclined to guess that South Patrol for HCPD is what you want to listen to. No guarantees that this is accurate, though.

stevez97

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. So the Horry County "Police" is not the Horry County "Sherrif" as I thought, eh? Huh. How 'bout that. LOL

Back to the RR Database I go!

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Thanks for the reply. So the Horry County "Police" is not the Horry County "Sherrif" as I thought, eh? Huh. How 'bout that. LOL

Back to the RR Database I go!

It's a reasonable assumption to make, as the Sheriff's Department is the primary patrol and investigative agency in every other county in SC. I made the same assumption years ago when I started monitoring and gathering radio data.

You can read up on the administrative differences. There is still a Horry County Sherrif's Office, and the Sheriff is still the top "law man" in the county, but the SD handles judicial security, civil process service, jail operations and tasks along those lines. The Horry County PD is the primary patrol, investigation and warrants service agency in the county and is led by a Chief of Police. Not unlike Municipal police departments like MB PD, NMB PD, Conway PD, etc.

Given the legal problems that many SC sheriffs have had over the last 5-10 years, and the fact that the Sheriff is an elected official that doesn't directly answer to County Councils and can only be removed for cause by the Governor of SC, one can argue that separating these law enforcement roles is a worthwhile arrangement with some definite advantages. But given the small size population-wise of many SC counties, it's not necessarily a practical arrangement for those counties.

stevez97

Premium Subscriber
It's a reasonable assumption to make, as the Sheriff's Department is the primary patrol and investigative agency in every other county in SC. I made the same assumption years ago when I started monitoring and gathering radio data.

You can read up on the administrative differences. There is still a Horry County Sherrif's Office, and the Sheriff is still the top "law man" in the county, but the SD handles judicial security, civil process service, jail operations and tasks along those lines. The Horry County PD is the primary patrol, investigation and warrants service agency in the county and is led by a Chief of Police. Not unlike Municipal police departments like MB PD, NMB PD, Conway PD, etc.

Given the legal problems that many SC sheriffs have had over the last 5-10 years, and the fact that the Sheriff is an elected official that doesn't directly answer to County Councils and can only be removed for cause by the Governor of SC, one can argue that separating these law enforcement roles is a worthwhile arrangement with some definite advantages. But given the small size population-wise of many SC counties, it's not necessarily a practical arrangement for those counties.

Thank you for the additional information. This is certainly not an arrangement I am accustomed to, but I imagine there was a solid rationale to go in this direction. It appears MB PD is a pretty limited geographic area. My (admitted) guess is that they operate from the beach to somewhere around Kings Highway, and then Horry County Police picks it from about there.

Anyway, that's the least of my concerns, as I'm sure I'll "get it figured out" when monitoring the local comms. At least they are in the clear and hopefully will remain such.

I'll be down next week for about three weeks and am certainly looking forward to it!

Thanks again.

BMedcom

The City and City agencies actually go past Highway 17 bypass, as to how far, it depends on the exact area. I've been here around 4 years and this area is definitely a learning curve, and things are done "differently here" take that for what you will. I am with 2 agencies here in the area, and am happy to answer any questions you have.

stevez97

Premium Subscriber
The City and City agencies actually go past Highway 17 bypass, as to how far, it depends on the exact area. I've been here around 4 years and this area is definitely a learning curve, and things are done "differently here" take that for what you will. I am with 2 agencies here in the area, and am happy to answer any questions you have.

I was with a couple of agencies up here in the Rochester area however just retired in June. Still like listening in, however. Half the fun is being on the "hunt" to "figure it out" and see just how "different" things are in various geographic areas. When the frustration level escalates and the fun level de-escalates, that's when having someone to turn to becomes most valuable.

Thanks for the offer. I might be taking you up on that. Thanks for your service. Make good decisions and be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.