Hospital Status Code? (ER)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA3SOM

Premium Subscriber
I heard a EMS call and what it sounded like it said was The General is Code 41 (or just said 41) But it sounded like they still took the patient, does this mean the ER is closed?

I heard it a while back also They said Toronto General is 41.

tmbstn

Premium Subscriber
Hope this Helps

I heard a EMS call and what it sounded like it said was The General is Code 41 (or just said 41) But it sounded like they still took the patient, does this mean the ER is closed?ent

I heard it a while back also They said Toronto General is 41.

Well I do not know of a "code 41" but that does not mean it does not exist. As far for a ED closing it's doors too ambulance traffic there are two options:
1) ED Re-Direct ~ This is my region is all too common, Waterloo Region has 3 hospitals and 2 Emergency Dept
When one ED has so many patients it is becomong unsafe they will contact the other ED and ask for a period of re-direct. This means all ambulance traffic is re-directed to the other ED. However if a hospital is on Re-Direct they still must take code 4 CTAS 1 patients. Re-direct in my region happens many times a day and can last 1/2h-1h15min.
2) Critical Care By-Pass(CCBP) is a whole different ball-game. This means the hospital can not take in any more patients by ambulance. This is very serious situation. The ED is closed too all Ambulance traffic, no matter what the CTAS level. Inorder for a ED to go on CCBP permission had too come from "The powers that be" and the MOH is notifed. It's has been a few years since I worked in the ED, I am sure there may have been some changes in the past 4 years. Re-direct was the responsibility of the Charge Nurse on duty.
Not the best system some say, but it worked. With the co-ordination of CACC and both ED we managed. I can't imagine how the ED cope with the increase patience load, insaine EMS off-load times, and staffing shortages. I am in my mid 30's, and I must say the outlook is somewhat grimm.
Here is a list of the EMS 10 codes as per the MOH (Please feel free to add any missed)

Code:
10-3 All Vehicles stop Transmitting
10-4 Acknowledged
10-6 Busy-Stand by unless Urgent
10-7 Arrived(or OUT of Service)
10-8 Departed (or IN service)
10-9 Repeat last Transmission
10-13 Unable to reply (Relative near by etc)
10-19 Return to Base
10-20 Whats your Location?
10-21 Phone by Landline or Cellular
10-25 Non-Violent Psychiatric Patient
10-26 Call is cancelled
10-27 Hostage Taking or SWAT Standby
10-34 Whats the Hospital status
10-36 Emergency is CLOSED (Critical care Bypass)
10-37 Emergency is OPEN to Code 3's only (ReDirect Considerations)
10-38 Emergency is CLEAR
10-50 Violent Psychiatric Patient
10-100 Bomb Threat
10-200 Have Police Attend (often abreviated to 10-2's)
10-2000 Send Police IMMEDIATELY

CODE 1 Any non-important call routine patient transfer
CODE 2 Sceduled call
CODE 3 Prompt call, not life threatening, lights and siren optional
CODE 4 Life Threatening, lights on, siren optional
CODE 5 Obviously dead (Rigor Mortis, Decomposition, Decapitation)
CODE 6 Legally dead (Declared by attending physician or Coroner)
CODE 7 Unstaffed at station
CODE 8 Standby at location
CODE 9 Unit in for servicing (Not Usable)
CODE 19 non-essential call

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Could it be that the original poster heard code 4 CTAS 1? That would be a serious injury. A CTAS 1 call means the patient is dead and they are trying to bring him/her back.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Yup, more than likely 4 and 1 as in Code 4, CTAS 1.

Could be a way of saying that a hospital is on redirect except for Code 4, CTAS 1 patients.

tmbstn

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Could it be that the original poster heard code 4 CTAS 1? That would be a serious injury. A CTAS 1 call means the patient is dead and they are trying to bring him/her back.

I would have to agree with you 100% Eric. If you hear code 4 CTAS 1 or" heading too St.Mike's on a 4-1" Someone is having a really bad day. CTAS 1 means a ED Physician along with a Trauma/Resusciation team is waiting for your arrival. Often you willl hear ems call dispatch to inform they are transporting and get their patch to the hospital. I hear all the time "heading to Mary's on a pair of three's.
We have some "smart-butt" medics in our region. I can't believe some of the back talk they give to dispatch. I am NOT putting ems down just making an observation. I will tell you one thing you almost never hear that stuff with fire and police.

hamtalk

Here in the Ottawa valley, i often hear " Renfrew base code 8 Cobden".
It is ems (Renfrew dispatch) but what is in Cobden?
If it's a medical call i guess but without the particulars.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

CanWoodsman

It is a call for a ambulance reporting to dispatch they are on standby in Cobden generally due to a need for quicker response if a ambulance is required in the Cobden area, Usually the unit that covers that area is in use for another call.

Last edited:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that, but where would they wait?
Cobden is but a speck on the map :)

Lewis

l

It doesnt matter if Cobden is a speck on the map, the EMS units are told where to go to best be ready if there are calls to go to or places to be moved again Code 8.

In Burlington they often go Code 8 at either Brant and North Service and Guelph and Fairview. This way they are close and covering key areas.

In Toronto the ultimate best Code 8 to hear is when a SE or NE unit is asked to go Code 8 to "Dany and Dany," Where Danforth Ave meets Danforth Road

:)

hamtalk

That makes sense.
Thank you.
The next step is to decide which antenna i will erect for the scanner, i live in an old house which was converted to three apartments. I live on the ground floor. Maybe i will purchase a "Diamond d discone" if they are still in production....
Have a good day

Lewis

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I'd go with a discone. Truthfully, there are far better antennas out there, however those are usually much larger and are fairly narrow-band. That is, you can get an antenna that would blow a discone out of the water but it would probably be 10 feet tall and only work that good for about a 10MHz spread.

The main advantage of the discone is that it works well across a very wide range of frequencies.

hamtalk

I have a scanner antenna, it's a ground plane style which doubles as a 2 meter ham antennna.
I think that the discone will work better. I also have a j-pole which is cut for 2 meters, it works but not all that well.
We just moved here a couple of years ago and the j-pole is inside hanging from the ceiling.
It works good on the ham radio though.
Putting an antenna up outside will be tricky, a three story brick house. Maybe i'll strap a discone to the chimney :)

Thanks exkalibur and CanWoodsman for your comments as well as others

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Here in the Ottawa valley, i often hear " Renfrew base code 8 Cobden".
It is ems (Renfrew dispatch) but what is in Cobden?
If it's a medical call i guess but without the particulars.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Cobden is at 17west gas station I think.
West End is Pembroke Tim Hortons West
Rankin is the rink.
Deacon is the golden sands

Most other places they just standby at the local EMS base.

Status
Not open for further replies.