Host to turn off Beep on BCT8 when powering on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ds408

Hi all,
I am new to Scanning ... and have just received a BCT8 model. Each time I turn the unit on there is a very annoying loud beep and the text "TEST" on the display. I noticed in the manual where you could press in the volume button to supposedly disable this, but it doesn't work for me! :(

If any BCT8'ers out there have successfully disabled this power-on Beep, I would be appreciate to learn how!

Thanks!
Dan

kskarma

I think you are stuck with the sound..!!

I'd like to have that 'Mute' option as well, but I don't think there is a way to disable it at power on time. What the book refers to is being able to mute the "BEEP" after the scanner has been turned on...either to reduce the volume by a few steps...or...to Mute the BearTracker alert. I found the info on p. 17 in the Owner's Manual...

Ear plugs might be your only option....Although...if you absolutely MUST have the beep off, what you could do...and this is not a very 'elegant' solution, would be to insert a 1/8" audio plug into the speaker jack when you turn the radio on...and then remove it after the 'beep' time has passed.

Last edited:

ds408

Thanks very much for the reply!

At least it's not just me having overlooked something in the manual. I tried all those options in the manual, but as you said, it didn't affect the startup beep .. Gosh .. who at Uniden thought that loud beep was a needed feature!?! ;-)

That's a good idea about using the audio plug at startup .. I think I just might do that!

Thanks again,
Dan

kskarma

It's a step in the right direction............!!

Dan, I have a BCT-7 that beeps THREE times when it starts up...I've learned to quickly hit the Volume knob two times to get the volume down to Lo as quickly as possible..but...it's a race to do that..!! I guess Uniden must feel that Owners want to have a LOT of flashing lights, loud sounds and plenty of action when they turn a scanner on.. Maybe for some people, just seeing the lights on the LCD are NOT adequate....ya' think?

K6LCM

The SOLUTION you've been waiting for!

I too was driven crazy by this beep. I came across this thread and thought all hope was lost, until I found this gem:

You can turn down the volume on the ALERT beep without turning it off completely. And it does not default back to LOUD when you turn the power off. Follow this procedure.

Press the PVT/HWY so you are scanning state HWY freqs. Press the volume button. This selects the volume for the alert. Keep pressing it until it is at the at the level you want. Press PVT/HWY button again twice to return back to your normal scanning mode.

Also, you can do the same for the red light: Pressing the SQUELCH in the HWY mode adjusts the brightness of the red LED alert lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.