Hosting own Radio Frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve6540

So, If I go out and buy that Mic Pack--> How will I be able to "host" my own frequency? Choose on and broacast?So maybe 412.6145? And talk? Maybe if my cousin gets one he goes onto that channel, he gets a mic, we can talk?

Lot more question to come :p,
Steven

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Oh boy.... this is going to get interesting....

Dude... you can't plug a mic into a scanner. It's a scanning receiver, not a transmitter or transceiver.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
So, If I go out and buy that Mic Pack--> How will I be able to "host" my own frequency? Choose on and broacast?So maybe 412.6145? And talk? Maybe if my cousin gets one he goes onto that channel, he gets a mic, we can talk?

Lot more question to come :p,
Steven

Why dont you go to any retailer and buy FRS radios?

Steve6540

Waity Here...

On my other thread, someone said I could use a mic with a scanner, I am newbie! Don't expect much. I am 13 going to be 14 in August. What? Don't think I am a retard, everyone was a noob once. Ok so lets say I buy a TRANSMITER would my other description be good?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
No one was calling you a retard Steven.
We all were noobs and young once, many of us wish we were young again.
That said; it raised eyebrows when you asked about putting a mic into a an old scanner.
Why? It makes no sense.
I am pretty sure you are aware of frs radios.
As mentioned before, you can buy a good pair of them in many stores.
If you wish to have comms with people over reasonable distances that will be your easiest option.

Steve6540

Thanks, EJB.
Just standing my ground :p.
I have a good pair, and the clerk said they were rated to "20km".
Could the FRS radios actually acheive that distance?
I'm not sure if they can because of interferance and other causes...
I understand that they are UHF and won't be affected by cordless phones, ect.
Oh, and one other question, what could a FRS gain interference from? (Another one, maybe another device)

Last edited:

TIZ6

Steve, I own a nice pair of FRS radios for camping and quite honestly I'd drop dead from shock if I ever got 20km out of them. Or 10km. Or 5km. My wife and I use our set in a provincial park and they are basically good around the park but not far beyond. The only interference you will experience is from other FRS users closeby (5 y.o. kids screaming excitedly, older kids belching randomly, etc.) Otherwise it's fairly useful if you and your partner are in close proximity to each other. Don't spend too much though, and don't get your expectations as high as to the "range" indicated on the packaging is concerned. You'll have fun with them and I expect if you decide to get serious about radio they might be a stepping stone into something bigger.

Cappyton

I use to use frs radios for paintball.. But getting into really big games like oklahoma d-day. 7000 players playing the game, every chann and sub chann seem to be used up. Or you get people scanning to your chann and jump onit to mess you up.
And the range didnt go to far in the bush.. alot of the time i wouldnt get half the radio chatter or it would be cut up and such.. Now my team runs some mrk's that are aegis with mics, so all seems to be good for now. They work better then the radio shack frs's i had did.

Cant you get a "mic" for a scanner but it is a speaker only and just looks like a normal mic? Maybe thats what steve was talking about?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, EJB.
Just standing my ground :p.
I have a good pair, and the clerk said they were rated to "20km".
Could the FRS radios actually acheive that distance?
I'm not sure if they can because of interferance and other causes...
I understand that they are UHF and won't be affected by cordless phones, ect.
Oh, and one other question, what could a FRS gain interference from? (Another one, maybe another device)

Steve: There is really no ground to protect. Your question was out there to say the least. Slicer was not out of line at all, in fact his advice is always helpful to me.

That said I doubt FRS radios will get 20 km's of range, maybe if you are in clear line of site and very high up with mods. Street level I doubt you will get that.
Maybe you best bet is to get a ham licence or go chicken band.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I've been able to get over 50km from an FRS radio.

Mind you, that was between a man on the ground, and another in an airplane overhead :D

Status
Not open for further replies.