Hotspot general question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Your next step may be to determine which DMR network you intend to use. Brandmeister is a pretty common one and the one I use. There are others and there is some inter-connectivity between some of them. It's been a while but I think DMR-Marc and DMR+ are some other ones. Also, have you programmed a DMR radio in the past? They more complicated to program than an analog radio but once you understand the basics of what going on, it's just a "wash, rinse and repeat" type of thing.

This is my first step in the DMR world. Based on some readings, Brandmeister seems popular and flexible compared to other networks. I have never programmed a DMR radio in the past, so i have a lot of reading/learning to do. I bought the radio from Bridgecom, the package includes a membership to the BridgeCom University it should help me get started.

VA2FCS

bharvey2

I'm not familiar with the BridgeCom U stuff but I suspect it should be a good starting point. There is plenty to find on the web and the folks here are very knowledgeable. Many of the members here on this site are "in the business" so there's no shortage of people who really know their stuff. Feel free to pop back in and ask questions or get clarification. Also, I suspect that the 868 and 878 radios have very similar programming so I'd be happy to help you in that regard. As an aside, are there any ham DMR repeaters close by you? If you have access to one, it may be useful in testing your codeplugs until you're sure you have your Hotspot running correctly.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Thanks bhharvey2, i do have a few repeaters in my area so it should not be a problem. In the mean time I have crated an account at radioid.net and i'm waiting for approval. I have one quick question. When i got in D-STAR i had to register my call sign with a D-STAR gateway (someone did it for me upon joining a D-STAR radio club). Is there such a process with DMR ?

Many thanks
VA2FCS

bharvey2

When you register with radioid.net (it was different when I did it several years ago) you should have or soon will receive a unique ID number. That number will be programmed into each DMR radio you own. When using a DMR radio system, that radio ID will be transmitted each time you successfully key up on that system and those listening to it will receive that number and it will be displayed on their radio screen if such a screen exists. However, data tables exist that resolve your unique ID number to your name as you've registered with radioid.net. You can download and convert those files to a format that can be loaded into your radio so that when you received a DMR transmission, the callers name will show in place of the ID number. You can also generate your own data table or use none at all. The table only serves relate a number to a name but isn't required for your radio to operate. I hope this makes sense.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the explanation, i thought i had to register the ID number somewhere else once i get it but i understand that i just need to program the ID in the radio. I will probably get the radio before the ID. It gives me time to read a bit

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the explanation, i thought i had to register the ID number somewhere else once i get it but i understand that i just need to program the ID in the radio. I will probably get the radio before the ID. It gives me time to read a bit
If you are going to use the Brandmeister digital voice network with your hotspot.... which I believe you wrote that is your intention... you will need to register at Dashboard | BrandMeister Have your callsign and DMR-ID ready.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
If you are going to use the Brandmeister digital voice network with your hotspot.... which I believe you wrote that is your intention... you will need to register at Dashboard | BrandMeister Have your callsign and DMR-ID ready.

Thanks for the info, my account was successfully registered with Radioid and i got my ID a few minutes ago. I'll go register with BrandMeister

bharvey2

Good point Popnokick. It's been such a long time since I got into DMR that I forgot about that.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Just waiting for BM account approval. If all goes well, i should receive the hotspot and radio tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.