Hotspot general question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

Probably a dumb question, but let's say i buy a hotspot for DMR (could be for another mode). I understand that the hotspot plugs into your PC/Laptop and uses the internet to access repeaters and all but in order to actually talk to people you just plug a mic in your PC/Laptop ? do you need a DMR capable radio ?

Thanks
Sylvain

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
You need DMR radio to talk to the hotspot. The hotspot is only to take RF and put it on the internet. No PC needed. Most either use wifi or plug a network cable into them

So i could be outside and use a DMR handheld to talk to the hotspot and basically talk just about anywhere ?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The ZUMspot has the ability to use AMBE which does not require a digital radio. You use a microphone into the computer to access the service you want - DMR, D-Star, etc. Amateur radio: Hotspots It uses the BlueDV software and is easy to set up.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The answer to your second questions is yes and no. The hotspots run at 1/10 watt, so range is limited. As an experiment, I connected my ZUM to an external antenna and had a range of a couple of blocks in open country. It easily works with the small antenna from my yard.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
The ZUMspot has the ability to use AMBE which does not require a digital radio. You use a microphone into the computer to access the service you want - DMR, D-Star, etc. Amateur radio: Hotspots It uses the BlueDV software and is easy to set up.

I think i'd rather use a radio, i don't want to be tied to a PC/Laptop especially during summer.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
The answer to your second questions is yes and no. The hotspots run at 1/10 watt, so range is limited. As an experiment, I connected my ZUM to an external antenna and had a range of a couple of blocks in open country. It easily works with the small antenna from my yard.

This is the kind of setup i would be interested in. Leave the hotspot in the kitchen (or anywhere in the house) connected to Internet thru wifi and use a handheld around the house to talk to the hotspot.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Any chance you are confusing the use and functionality of a ZUMspot and ZUM AMBE server board. I've not seen the server board before. My ZUMspots (ZUM radio + Raspberry Pi W Zero) all require a digital radio. I only point this out so the OP is not mislead with the ZUMspot I am familiar with. Excellent link in your post.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
I looked at the DMR repeaters in my area and they are all UHF (except maybe one or two). Considering that i would like the hotspot to connect to the internet thru wifi it looks like the AnyTone D878UV Plus paired to a SharkRF OpenSpot3 would be a good combo ?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
The SharkRF is not the one I picked a few years back. So I have a bias for the ZUMspot, but I don't know without direct experience that it would be a bad choice. In general only the Banggood/Aliexpress sourced hotspots I would not recommend. Not that they don't work, but quality and hardware would be a concern for me. Likely I will have to take a beating for that last comment. :cool:

P.S. One thing I will add of the three common modes (DStar, Fusion and DMR) DMR has been the most challenging to program at the radio. The other two modes more straight forward.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I looked at the DMR repeaters in my area and they are all UHF (except maybe one or two). Considering that i would like the hotspot to connect to the internet thru wifi it looks like the AnyTone D878UV Plus paired to a SharkRF OpenSpot3 would be a good combo ?
That is a tried and true combo for many hams (including myself).

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
It's been a pleasure helping you spend you 'stimulus check'.

P.S. Canadian callsign, no stimulus check for you. :-(

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The ZUM will do both. I also have an older DVMega hotspot which will run on an android app. As long as there is a cell tower in range, it makes a good mobile substitute. I am using the ZUM usb hotspot, which does have the AMBE. ambepage

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone for your input, i think my mind is pretty made up now

Sylvain, VA2FCS

bharvey2

Hotspots don't necessarily need to connect to a laptop or other computer. They can also connect (wired or wirelessly) to your home network and run autonomously. You'd only need to log in to them for setup and administration. That being said, I've used the first gen Openspot for several years without any trouble at all. The only maintenance needed was firmware updates. I gave my brother an Zumspot for Christmas and it took him just a short time to set up and get running. Both of us have only used them with DMR radios but so far everyone is happy. The Zumspot seemed to have a lot more leeway in settings but I'm sure it's because it's much newer and reflects the improvements that have occurred since I got mine.

bharvey2

As I mentioned, I have the original Openspot. I also own an Anytone D868UV. I think you'll like both.

bharvey2

Your next step may be to determine which DMR network you intend to use. Brandmeister is a pretty common one and the one I use. There are others and there is some inter-connectivity between some of them. It's been a while but I think DMR-Marc and DMR+ are some other ones. Also, have you programmed a DMR radio in the past? They more complicated to program than an analog radio but once you understand the basics of what going on, it's just a "wash, rinse and repeat" type of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.