hours of silence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxelsHumanDad

greetings all. my second post. lots to read and learn here.
I noticed something unusual this weekend. it seems like there was several hours of no communications from my local PD two days in a row, roughly the same time frame both days. I primarily listen to the dispatch for Langlade County, WI on 154.875. Saturday from ~11:00 to ~17:00, and Sunday from ~noon to ~16:00 Central I didn't receive any traffic on this frequency. after these periods of seeming inactivity, everything sounds normal. on Sunday about 16:15 I heard communications like I caught up with the middle of a conversation. specifically, two officers were at a location and the situation was under control. like this had been going on some time and I missed the beginning. I'm wondering what happened to the rest of the radio traffic. two days in a row, with two different scanners. all my other programmed frequencies continue fine. it's just this one that goes "quiet" for an extended period. is there something I don't know about? using a BCT996D on a Spider antenna on the roof, and a RS Pro-23 handheld inside. priority is on both scanners for this freq. any thoughts?
thanks.
Mike

djeplett

I listen in to 154.875 as I can receive it well here. Maybe were they using 155.640? That is the other frequency they're listed on in the RR database.

I'll try programming in 155.640 with their 107.2PL, but I may have a problem since that's Shawano's Channel 2 and they are very active all the time.

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that..."

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Does Langlade county have an extensive mobile data system? It's not uncommon for the radio to get quiet when a department isn't very busy and can handle the routine stuff via computer.

AxelsHumanDad

djeplett said:
I listen in to 154.875 as I can receive it well here. Maybe were they using 155.640? That is the other frequency they're listed on in the RR database.

I'll try programming in 155.640 with their 107.2PL, but I may have a problem since that's Shawano's Channel 2 and they are very active all the time.

I've got 155.640 plugged in under my Shawano County group and rarely hear much there. I get 159.090 as the busy one. I'm right in town in Antigo, so I'd hear anything going on around here.
it's odd that two days in a row I stopped hearing anything for hours. and then suddenly, Sunday evening for example, things resumed with two officers out(already dispatched) at a mobile home. I never heard them dispatched, or arrived, just suddenly they were there stating things were under control.
I don't even get anything in Close Call hits during those times.

AxelsHumanDad

stateboy said:
Does Langlade county have an extensive mobile data system? It's not uncommon for the radio to get quiet when a department isn't very busy and can handle the routine stuff via computer.
I don't know about the data system. it's hardly ever routine around here on weekends.;) highway 45/47 is one of the main corridoors for all the "Flatlanders" headed south after being "Up North" for the weekend. :)

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
AxelsHumanDad said:
*snippage*

it's odd that two days in a row I stopped hearing anything for hours. and then suddenly, Sunday evening for example, things resumed with two officers out(already dispatched) at a mobile home. I never heard them dispatched, or arrived, just suddenly they were there stating things were under control.

I don't even get anything in Close Call hits during those times.

Statements like this make me wonder about that department using mobile data for dispatching calls. For example, now that we've gone to CAD and a high speed mobile data system, we handle a lot of calls and traffic stops via computer with no words spoken on the radio.

BTW, there may not be a lot of posts in the WI forum but it gets read plenty. If you have a question/comment/concern, feel free to post it...we'll respond.

djeplett

AxelsHumanDad said:
I never heard them dispatched, or arrived, just suddenly they were there stating things were under control.
Like stateboy said, a lot of traffic can be done on an MDC. I park my old BC210 on New London's PD frequency and I will hear things like this often.

Shawano does use 159.090 mostly, but on weekend nights channel 2 gets pretty busy. During the week it is much more quiet.

AxelsHumanDad

djeplett said:
Shawano does use 159.090 mostly, but on weekend nights channel 2 gets pretty busy. During the week it is much more quiet.
I get loads of activity on 159.090. they actually are more active than the Marathon County freqs I have loaded...

I can hear Menominee County using encryption sometimes. same for Forest County.

AxelsHumanDad

stateboy said:
For example, now that we've gone to CAD and a high speed mobile data system, we handle a lot of calls and traffic stops via computer with no words spoken on the radio.

I heard several comments about the system being down, and having to do it "the old fashioned way" this weekend on the North Central Region state channel. also heard the female officer telling Tomahawk she had to reboot her system because of runtime errors a couple times.

cpd38

Premium Subscriber
Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think that the county would have more than a couple deputies on at a time at most. I thought someone recently told me that normally they only have 2 working at a time at most.

It's also possible that there could be some of those guys working that just pretty much hide for their 8 hours....

AxelsHumanDad

cpd38 said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think that the county would have more than a couple deputies on at a time at most. I thought someone recently told me that normally they only have 2 working at a time at most.

It's also possible that there could be some of those guys working that just pretty much hide for their 8 hours....

couple of sheriff's officers, couple of city officers, and one state car all on duty. they were all busy this weekend. :)

Premium Subscriber
Some of the " DEAD AIR " might have been during the packer game ??, I know in Marquette county, when it's dead forget it. :(

AxelsHumanDad

ok, it's confirmed as best as I can. they must be using some sort of data transmission system. earlier today I heard the state officer call county dispatch asking if she received the <something> he sent. she replied yes, but she had been busy and hadn't reviewed it yet. I didn't hear what the <something> was since I was just walking back in the room. later this evening I heard the next shift dispatch call "all city units, 10-16". the next transmissions were from the officers arriving, and again with the problem description. I guess that explains my initial post well enough for me.

wirr

Database Admin
Do you have the 107.2 tone programmed on 154.875? If so, you would not hear any encrypted traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.