House approves bill to ease communications among first responders

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
By MATTHEW DALY
The Associated Press
WASHINGTON — The House on Tuesday overwhelmingly approved a bill aimed at improving communication among police, firefighters and emergency crews.
If enacted, supporters say, the measure could go a long way toward fixing an all-too common problem: emergency workers unable to communicate with each other because they use different radio systems.

The bill, approved 414-2, would require that states and local governments develop guidelines among first responders to be eligible for federal homeland security grants. The measure stresses the importance of the issue by establishing a new Office of Emergency Communications, headed by an assistant secretary of homeland security.
The bill's lead sponsor, Rep. Dave Reichert, R-Wash., called it a response both to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and Hurricane Katrina. Both events demonstrated — with tragic effect — the reality that first responders from different agencies and jurisdictions still have trouble communicating with each other, he said.
"It is intolerable that our nation's law enforcement, fire service, and emergency medical services personnel still confront many of the same emergency communication problems I did as a rookie cop in 1972," Reichert said.
Some Democrats criticized the bill's timing, saying it was inexcusable that five years after the 2001 attacks — and a year after Katrina — the Republican-led Congress was finally getting around to addressing the issue.
"Time and again, the lack of interoperable communication has significantly hindered the ability of our nation's first responders to successfully do their jobs," said Rep Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., senior Democrat on the House Homeland Security Committee.
He and other lawmakers noted that some New York City firefighters never received a police warning to evacuate the World Trade Center's north tower because their radio system was incompatible with police communications.
"Four years later, as Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated the Gulf Coast, the same story emerged: Firefighters and police in the region didn't have the means to communicate," Thompson said.
Thompson and other Democrats complained that the bill does not authorize any federal money, and said states and local communities could be left to foot the bill.
Reichert challenged that, saying the Homeland Security Department has more than $1.6 billion in grant money available for local communities. The House bill would prohibit federal money from being spent on equipment that doesn't meet federal standards and statewide communications plans, Reichert said.
The measure now goes to the Senate.

cstockmyer

Now you would think a bill like this would pass with out any problems what so ever, anyone what to bet it does not work that way?

Scan-Denver

Didn't the P25 system come way after most agencies already upgraded to other non-P25 compatible systems ?

I know this is why Denver won't spend millions more for it and if they need to communicate with agencies who are on the P25 system, I believe they use Metro Net.

luke-1

Scan-Denver said:
Didn't the P25 system come way after most agencies already upgraded to other non-P25 compatible systems ?

I know this is why Denver won't spend millions more for it and if they need to communicate with agencies who are on the P25 system, I believe they use Metro Net.

They use Metro Net quite often

Luke

KB9LMJ

Okay, here's a question. What are the MACs for? Aren't they Mutual Aid Channels??? What are FREN, NLEEC, CLEER, and the Med Ch's for? Intercommunication??? What's FDNY, Chicago, and LAFD use, VHF! How come it works for them and works WELL! So well, in fact, FDNY left their trunked system shortly after it was installed and went back to their VHF. And Chicago FD isn't even entertaining the idea. Now granted, during 9/11 the system failed, but ask this, what system wouldn't? I don't know, maybe I'm simplistic, but why are all these agencies spending millions and millions on systems that continue to have interoperability issues and are constantly needing upgrades. Wouldn't a simple voting receiver or network repeater system with biphasic amplifiers in high-rises and such be simpler? I guess being from the Chicago area and working with VHF in my career up until now (and having it work very well!) just spoiled me. Although yes, we did have to change to a narrow band FM VHF to accommodate the traffic in the area, but we had 4-5 Xs the population we have in metro Denver! Sounds to me like there's been some cheating by some really clever salesmen in the radio markets...humm. Oh, and why all of the sudden get these regional NE Blue and Red, etc..when we already have a ton of MACs and the old conventionals. On a system that's struggling to spare IDs, couldn't the MACs be reconfigured to intercommunicate like the "new and improved" Reds and Blues? Sorry..it's early and I'm a little cranky when I hear about all this

Status
Not open for further replies.