House Fire in York County

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuttleje

At approximately 1945 hours, YC Fire was dispatched to a house fire on Phillips Lane in York County. The first units arriving reported smoke and flames visible in the roof.

To make things worse....when a ladder truck attempted to pull down the gravel road, it rolled on it's side blocking the road for other emergency vehicles. Fortunately, no one was injured in the accident.

They are currently fighting the fire.

At 2024 hours, the fire was reported under control. However, the ladder truck is still on it's side.

At 2028 hours, the fire has rekindled....and burning on the "C" side of the building.

Last edited:

tuttleje

Fire was extinguished at 2045 hours. However, they are still removing equipment (including the rolled ladder truck) from the scene.

The dispatcher advised that the fire department had received numerous media calls.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
What's the status on the truck? Damage and when will it be back in service? Anyone have an idea?

PoqFFEMT

So I saw a picture of Truck 1 on its side at the scene. It seems that the driver, coming into the scene told the IC that he did not think he would be able to get the apparatus down the road due to the other vehicles in the way. The IC told him that it would be alright and that he needed to get the truck down there. The rest is history.

I know that the driver is not in any trouble. Not so sure about the Battalion Chief yet.....

LEH

Premium Subscriber
The Daily Press (for what it's worth) has a story (the writer needs to go back to school and learn how to write beyond the creative writing [or is that what journalism is anymore?]) on the accident. I wonder how many Truck 1's York County has. Reading the article, it would seem like more than one.

They say the road collapsed as the truck was approaching the scene.

I love the press.

kc4jgc

Poor writing

The Daily Press (for what it's worth) has a story (the writer needs to go back to school and learn how to write beyond the creative writing [or is that what journalism is anymore?]) on the accident. I wonder how many Truck 1's York County has. Reading the article, it would seem like more than one.

I love the press.

That wasn't really creative writing, Lynn. I could have written a better piece for that story. My high school journalism teacher would have given that back to her to fix. Horrible!

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Heck, while she was at the Tabb Fire station, she could have walked less then a 100 feet and signed up for summer school. I taught in that building until 12 years ago yesterday.

W4UVV

just a minor edit is necessary

I love the press.

Don't be so judgmental Lynn. Just because the writer made a few minor grammatical errors and should have written: "That there piece of road done went and felled in a hole cause we seed it and that truck it done come near to going in that big(bleep) hole". See that's all it took, a little word smithing so the typical reader can understand better. Isn't it wonderful how the public today uses English grammar? One subject just isn't enough these days. If one subject is good, two are better. I hear it daily on almost every tv news related show and other entertainment programing..."John, he came...", "The men they went"... I lost count the number of times my high school English teacher must have turned in her grave....You know what I'm saying dude? I will conversate with you later."Conversate" is a new English word because I heard it on the "Maury" show...you know what I mean?

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Don't be so judgmental Lynn. Just because the writer made a few minor grammatical errors and should have written: "That there piece of road done went and felled in a hole cause we seed it and that truck it done come near to going in that big(bleep) hole". See that's all it took, a little word smithing so the typical reader can understand better. Isn't it wonderful how the public today uses English grammar? One subject just isn't enough these days. If one subject is good, two are better. I hear it daily on almost every tv news related show and other entertainment programing..."John, he came...", "The men they went"... I lost count the number of times my high school English teacher must have turned in her grave....You know what I'm saying dude? I will conversate with you later."Conversate" is a new English word because I heard it on the "Maury" show...you know what I mean?

I know, how well I know. But it doesn't mean I can't ridicule these 'people' (thanks to General Robert E. Lee for that usage of people), for their lack of knowledge and ability to write. Do they even have an editor?

Do they even research a story? WAVY TV has told me on more than one occasion that York County Virginia has a police department. I have yet to meet one of them. Lots of Sheriff's deputies, but no (or is that 'know') police officers.

I just enjoy ridiculing the press, who is supposed (?) to know better, when they mess up (which really could be a full time job with overtime).

I just said this in my last post (some guy writing [sic or is that sick] in text message format. English is an evolving language. We're adding new words all the time. When I was in school (and this was in the DEEP SOUTH), the word "ain't" was widely used, but not taught as proper English. Only a very few of my fellow students could not write a complete sentence with minor spelling or grammatical errors. Today, many don't even know what a sentence is.

I write for a living, so it is extremely frustrating to see the way the English language has demised.

From one of my previous posts again. If I had a choice between reading modern text message English or the 'old English' of Chaucer, I'd take Chaucer any day.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
...York County Virginia has a police department. I have yet to meet one of them. Lots of Sheriff's deputies, but no (or is that 'know') police officers.

I've heard references similar to that here (Rockingham County). I'm with you, Lynn... you would assume the networks that deliver us the news "facts" would know a little about the government and geography of the area they are reporting on.

Status
Not open for further replies.