Houston FD "Assist citizen manpower needed?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE5HOB

I was listening to robodispatcher today and he put out a call that sounded like that. Is that a call to the volunteer fire departments?

redhelmet13

Might have been a lift assist - there are some individuals that are extremely obses and bedridden. I have experienced this waaaaaay bak in the day when I worked for a private ambulance co. I have seen cases in which it took 6 people to lift a stretcher with a large pt. in and out of the box.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Might have been a lift assist - there are some individuals that are extremely obses and bedridden. I have experienced this waaaaaay bak in the day when I worked for a private ambulance co. I have seen cases in which it took 6 people to lift a stretcher with a large pt. in and out of the box.

I worked a lift assist once. What a pain in the...

I would like to see how many bariatric stretchers are being used now compared to 20 years ago...

KE5HOB

Hmm didn't even think of that. A polite way of saying the pt. is too fat! Thanks for the info guys. I remember seeing a piece on TV about a hydraulic stretcher system for the ambulance. It's amazing what we have to do for people sometimes.

Tommahawk

I would like to see how many bariatric stretchers are being used now compared to 20 years ago...

There are entire EMS vehicles that do nothing but (pardon my french) "Wide Loads". The entire vehicle is setup just for that occassion. Some of them even carry basic demo tools now to widen entrances!!!!! Most, if not all are now equipped with winches in order to assist with lifting.... (I'm not making this up!!)

Last edited:

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
I've never seen an ambulance with a winch, but in NW Harris County (Cy-Creek, Cy-Fair and ESD #1 EMS) the stretchers are hydraulic and the back of the ambulance has a little lock on it so once you put the stretcher in it can't slide back out.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
the back of the ambulance has a little lock on it so once you put the stretcher in it can't slide back out.

The hook is part of the way the newer cots are loaded into and out of the ambulance. It isn't there to keep the stretcher from sliding out.

Mike

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
When the robot says "assist citizen manpower required respond non-emergency" it's a public service call; cat up a tree and things of that nature.

You willingly listen to the robot? Haha, that damn thing gets old quick. If you want to filter out everything but the big action, just listen to Tac 7, 8, and 5, and keep 8 and 5 locked out unless 7 is tied-up.

KE5HOB

I find the robot interesting, lol. I know that all the "fun" stuff happens on 7 and 8, but I like to hear the entire gamut of calls put out on dispatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.