SDS100/SDS200: Houston/Pearland - Simulcast on SDS100 vs. BCD496

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
Looking for someone in the Houston/Pearland area, that has both scanners, that can tell me how well the SDS100 is handling Simulcast vs. the BCD496 (HP2 too for that matter). I have never been impressed with the the level of radio traffic I get with the 496. By that I mean, I am in Houston, so I would figure that I should be hearing radio traffic almost constantly, but sometimes it can go 2 or 3 minutes (or more) without receiving anything. It is set for the SW Site 004 (which covers 95% of my daily commute), Primary Control Channel only, and only the HPD Dispatch talkgroups.

As an experiment, I set up a separate favorites list that consists of the Hou. Gen. Gvt. Svcs. Site (005), Primary and Alternate Control Channels, and only the HPD Dispatch (Mutual Aid) talkgroups, just to see if it I could get any better results. Nope, same results. Even my old Pro96 does a better job of receiving the Mutual Aid talkgroups than the 496 & HP2.

Before I shell out the bucks on another new scanner, I just want to make sure that I am gonna get better results, so I was looking from someone who has LOCAL (Houston/Pearland area), first-hand knowledge/experience in how the SDS100 handles simulcast distortion compared to the 496.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Tim,

So I am in Austin area (Simulcast Heaven for P25) but we recently traveled to Houston and Galveston.
I have to say the HP-2 was horrible in Houston / Galveston - but my unication G5 did not miss a beat.
Sold my HP2 recently...simulcast is popping up in most cities and those units just can't handle it.

I have ordered a SDS-200. Wasn't as impressed with the SDS100 but I can tell you it will be leaps and bounds above your HP2 or 496 due to simulcast. You would be amazed at how much better the Uniden (SDS100 and SDS200 and Unication G4/G5) are on simulcast systems. No distortion like you have now and no missed calls like now.

I personally like the Unication radios better for handhelds...but already pre-ordered a SDS-200.

Best of luck.
Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.