Houston Police Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Odd, in the years I have listened to HPD, I have never heard these. What channel are you listening to?

bpckty1

If you mean something like 5521, that is (was?, and has stuck around) the last part of the phone number for City Traffic Warrants,

samflowers

Sorry, I haven't noted the channels - but I monitor most of the repeaters. I made a note some time ago about a 5501 that referenced a malfunctioning traffic signal which was no longer cycling. As I recall, an officer was reporting the incident to dispatch so a traffic unit could be notified (because traffic was really backed up in the area). I have heard other 55xx references but recently I have heard a few 5512. They are not very frequent and all seem to have something to do with traffic control problems. I was just curious and thought someone here might know..

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I am guessing that bpckty1 is probably right. HPD does not use codes at all, despite the fact that some of the dispatchers refer to "Priority" as "Code" on the radio. They have been plain language for a very long time, certainly since I moved to Houston in 1999.

The only numbers that they use are addresses, unit numbers, telephone, etc. with the exception of the priority assigned to a call, "1" being the most important and becoming less of a priority as the number gets bigger.

ericcarlson

Database Admin
You must be referring to a unit ID. Non-patrol units and off-duty units use a 1-4 digit ID (this might be the officer's badge number?). I believe the 55xx series units are gang division or Crime Reduction Unit.

stevecasko

Premium Subscriber
The 5500 series of call codes is used by the MRT (Mobilty Response Team) units. They were new codes for everyone to use when they were launched, and they got in the habit of using the actual CAD call codes on the radio and it seems to have stuck. If you listen to Special Ops on days or evenings you will hear the MRT units using these codes. I'm out of town now but I'll try to get a list when I get back. There are different codes for flashing red lights, signs down, etc. It's a way to keep track of what they are responding to on a daily basis.

The only reason they used the actual call codes was because nobody at HEC was really familiar with the new codes. I've seen the MRT's with a list of them taped to their scooters. True, you'd never hear a patrol unit call out on a "3040" (non-family disturbance) or a "420R" (burglary/residence - delayed report), but these were brand new codes used by only a few units and even fewer dispatchers.

The 5500 unit numbers are the Crime Reduction Unit (part of the Gang Division).

Steve

cplHilson

55xx Codes

Thankfully for me the Houston PD doesn't use codes except for describing the priority of the call we're dispatched on. I have a 55xx unit number and I'm a supervisor for the Gang Crime Reduction Unit (GCRU). There's some lingo used but nothing an average joe couldn't figure out.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
Thankfully for me the Houston PD doesn't use codes except for describing the priority of the call we're dispatched on. I have a 55xx unit number and I'm a supervisor for the Gang Crime Reduction Unit (GCRU). There's some lingo used but nothing an average joe couldn't figure out.

Welcome to Radio Reference, and thank you for all the good work youall do! :)

stevecasko

Premium Subscriber
5500 codes

5501 Flashing red lights
5502 All signal lights uot
5503 Direct Traffic at accident scene
5504 Minor Accident - issue blue form
5505 Disabled vehicle
5506 Traffic control (signals working)
5507 Flagged down by citizen
5508 Support with traffic control
5509 Road Hazard
5510 Utility disruption
5511 School zone
5512 Special Assignment
5513 Traffic signal issues
5514 Radilroad track obstruction
5515 other MRT issue

stevecasko

Premium Subscriber
cru

Thankfully for me the Houston PD doesn't use codes except for describing the priority of the call we're dispatched on. I have a 55xx unit number and I'm a supervisor for the Gang Crime Reduction Unit (GCRU). There's some lingo used but nothing an average joe couldn't figure out.[/QUOTE

cplHilson, please call me.

Thanks,
Steve

cplHilson

You all must be talking about the Call Code. But those are only seen by PD officers I believe. Maybe S.O. will broadcast a code like that on their channel. But again we don't use that when talking.We just call them out like a Major; Minor; Unknown Major/Minor Accidents.With the formal names.

suzy-q

Do the MRT (Mobility Response Team) and Gang Crime Reduction Unit (GCRU) work together? Or are the unit numbers and code numbers the same by coincidence?

cplHilson

Gcru & mrt

Do the MRT (Mobility Response Team) and Gang Crime Reduction Unit (GCRU) work together? Or are the unit numbers and code numbers the same by coincidence?

The MRT works closely with traffic units over on the S.O. air. Where as us on the GCRU; I would say we work more closely with patrol tactical and narcotics units. If we need more manpower a squad can consist of officers from federal agencies (i.e. FBI, ATF, ICE, DEA, Houston HIDTA, etc.) You will probably rarely hear us on public air but that's not to say that you'll never hear us. As far as the call codes go again like I said, these codes are only seen by PD officers, unless they've been leaked somewhere on the internet. ;) I don't work off the SO mic so I don't know if they actually still say those codes over the air, but I will try to tune in sometime to see

Any other questions can be forwarded to officerhilson@gmail.com and I will be more likely to respond quicker, because I don't really use this site. IF YOU NEED IMMEDIATE EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE CALL 911.. DO NOT EMAIL

suzy-q

Thanks, i dont sign on much either. How do you send private messages from one user to another on this forum. I wonder if i'll ever understand radios when i cannot even figure out this forum.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, i dont sign on much either. How do you send private messages from one user to another on this forum. I wonder if i'll ever understand radios when i cannot even figure out this forum.
suzy,
If I recall, the private messages are disabled until a member reaches a certain post count. I believe it's around 5 or so, but I might be wrong on the actual #. That was done, I believe, to cut down on someone registering a name, then immediately using pm's (private messages) and posts to spam the forums and other members. That's also why, initially your first couple of posts don't appear right away. They have to be reviewed by a moderator (again, in the interest of spam prevention).

suzy-q

Thx hiegtx, that actually makes sense. I belong to another forum and the spam there is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.