How about a Siren App status update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
Here we are approaching another month and still no word on an update to the Siren App or even word of an Android version. From his timeline were still stuck on V1. This has just gotten totally ridicules.

Originally Posted by UPMan
V1 = main scanning functions, LAN only
V2 = addition of Analyze
V3 = addition of Full Menu capabilities for all functions
V4 = WAN capability
V5 = still a secret

Yes I am well aware they had wifi issues during the first year and we can work around the problem with VPN but come on folks, were talking about a scanner that was announced in Nov 2013, released in Feb 2014, last app update was in May 2015 and were now approach April 2016. Maybe 2017 will be a better year. Seems to me there is little or no effort being made in the app development. I'm sure others will say otherwise. I figure Uniden will just keep ignoring the issues and it will evenly go away or be forgotten.

I figure it's:
A. Development of the App is much more complicated than Uniden originally hoped for.
B. Uniden HQ no longer allowing resources to be used used for app development seeing it's been over 2 years.
C. It was but on hold for now.
D. Uniden doesn't have internal app developers and the work is contracted out. See "B"
E. Lessons learned and resources and finances being used for future scanner developments.
F. Repair champaign, free shipping and parts ate up the finances for app development.

Last edited:

dmack550

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I think Uniden is on to bigger and better things. And yes I am sure the repair campaign ate up any available funds to finally finish the Siren app. And I am not a GROANER, I happen to like the scanner very much. Just wish it would have happened is all. I have had pretty good luck with Uniden products and hope that luck holds out with the 536. Next time Uniden PLEASE make sure your new product is FULLY tested to operate and function as advertised. It doesn't exactly make me want to purchase "the latest and greatest" thing if I can't be sure it will function completely and fully. And I do think Uniden should extend the warranties on these scanners to cover known issues in the future. Finally I read a post on here that Uniden won't honor warranties on scanners bought from Amazon. That had BETTER NOT BE TRUE!!!!

MidTNScanDude

Lol, we will never have a Usable Droid app, maybe some Beta version will get released some day, but never anything that come close to what they promised.

AE6QE

Good evening,

I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that Uniden will not maintain it's word on any of the BCDx36HP software, other than maybe Sentinel. Since buying my unit some months ago, I have read time and again the displeasure from the customers about the undelivered expectations.

I think it's time to take a different approach, and if anyone knows how to reach UPMan, I would request kindly that you pass on the suggestion. Uniden needs to publish openly the standard used by Siren and the Windows x86 software for control, so that enterprising enthusiasts can produce software for the scanners. Then, I think we would quickly see an android solution, along with much improved Windows and iOS solutions.

It is the least Uniden can do, and would be a win-win solution both for the company and us expectant customers. So, I say it loudly, please release the standard!

Rickey/AE6QE
Otherwise happy owner of a BCD536HP.

Voyager

After all, it's not like they kept their word and fixed the hardware issues, right? :D

I'm also quite certain the word has reached him many times.

k3fs

They have yet to keep their word on a couple of other issues yet, right? Please keep that in mind.

wise871

Database Admin
After all, it's not like they kept their word and fixed the hardware issues, right? :D

We're talking software and not hardware as per the topic. Still working on your forums count I see. You should hit 11k in no time seeing you have an answer for everything.

Voyager

Sorry for sharing knowledge. If it offends you, feel free to look the other way.

And yes, there are some features that are not what some want them to be.

You take out the ignition source before putting out the fire (to put it in firefighting terms).

k3fs

Sorry for sharing knowledge. If it offends you, feel free to look the other way.

And yes, there are some features that are not what some want them to be.

You take out the ignition source before putting out the fire (to put it in firefighting terms).

Again with the minimizing. It is not a case of not being what I want. It is clearly a case of not being what was advertised. Still waiting for someone with knowledge to answer this and those questions.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber

Then it has clearly fallen on deaf ears. I can't blame Paul for this - Uniden clearly does not give a flying hoot about it's customers. I think Paul is a decent guy, but is constrained by Uniden's incompetence. He isn't doing himself any favours mind you.

Voyager

Your proof?

Just because something is heard does not mean someone has the ability to act immediately. There are many reasons why that may be so and the vast majority do not involve incompetence.

If Uniden did not give a hoot, the free repair campaigns would never have existed. That is also one explanation of where the funding for other things went. I know it's easy to believe that a corporation has an endless supply of money, but they don't. (if they did they would be called a government)

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Your proof?

Ugh.

It's been forever and its still not released is proof enough. It's WAY easier to become an app developer for the Android platform than the iOS. Clearly Uniden isn't putting any effort into this at all. There is NO excuse for that. None.

Voyager

So just because it isn't done means they have no intention of producing it. Interesting "logic". And it means they have money to spare, too, huh? That simply cannot be an issue in your world? The repair campaigns were free of cost?

I do share your sentiment in one respect... "Ugh."

I will also add that if it were that easy, someone else would have already done it by now. But, I guess that just "proves" that nobody cares about this issue at all because all the other alternatives don't exist either. Hey! Problem solved! Nobody cares about the issues involved.

wise871

Database Admin
Voyager, give it a rest and move on to someone else's topic. I'm surprised RR has let you go on this long and your not even a subscriber. There have been some great discussions over the last year until you step in with your infinite wisdom. You always seem to have an answer for everything and frankly it's getting tiresome. I started this topic and I welcome everybody's opinion except yours. Might as well move this topic over to the tavern now.

Back to the original question. We as 536 users would like an answer on when the Siren App will be updated for both IOS and Android. Many of us payed $$$ just for that ability and after 2 years it would be nice to get an answer.

Last edited:

coolderb

Ugh.

It's been forever and its still not released is proof enough. It's WAY easier to become an app developer for the Android platform than the iOS. Clearly Uniden isn't putting any effort into this at all. There is NO excuse for that. None.

When you say "WAY easier" are you referring to cost, tools, or training? On IOS it costs $99/year to become a Developer. On Android there is a one time fee of $25. $74 difference, no big deal.

Development tools are plentiful on both platforms and range from free to hundreds of dollars for the high-end IDEs.

Development for Android is actually harder because of the fragmented nature of that platform. There are so many devices from different manufacturers with different screen sizes, different processors, different cameras, different chipsets and a plethora of different operating systems. With IOS there are different models but they all run the same OS and have only one manufacturer, Apple, so programmers have less headaches when it comes to writing apps. and making updates.

That being said, developing a Siren equivalent for Android would be a relatively easy task. Just about any Android device has the necessary hardware to run such an app. There are already dozens of scanner streaming apps. available for Android. It could be outsourced to a small developer for a really modest cost. For a small investment upfront Uniden could reap the benefit of satisfying existing customers and attracting new customers with features that are not available on any other scanner......yet:)

troymail

Silent Key
Voyager, give it a rest and move on to someone else's topic. I'm surprised RR has let you go on this long and your not even a subscriber. There have been some great discussions over the last year until you step in with your infinite wisdom. You always seem to have an answer for everything and frankly it's getting tiresome. I started this topic and I welcome everybody's opinion except yours. Might as well move this topic over to the tavern now.

Do like I did - put him on your ignore list. Now I don't have to even see his worthless comments unless someone quotes him.

Maybe if we ALL ignore him, he'll go away.

As far as the long (nearly 2 1/2 year) promised app - I've concluded (as have others) that Uniden will never come through on that promise. Lesson learned - never buy a product based on promises in the future. Once they have your money, they don't really care.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I've long said that Uniden should farm out their software development. Even a good number of people seem to like Sentinel, I find it very kludgy to use. EZScan for the PSR800 was far easier to learn. Which is why I use ARC536 as much as possible.

I'm kind of surprised that no one has yet developed an Android app for use with the 536. For my purposes, even an app that only does display would be fine because even the updated display in the 536 is hard for me to see in my truck.

I'm sure others want a more extensive app and I understand why.

I just wish that someone would come up with something.

When you say "WAY easier" are you referring to cost, tools, or training? On IOS it costs $99/year to become a Developer. On Android there is a one time fee of $25. $74 difference, no big deal.

Development tools are plentiful on both platforms and range from free to hundreds of dollars for the high-end IDEs.

Development for Android is actually harder because of the fragmented nature of that platform. There are so many devices from different manufacturers with different screen sizes, different processors, different cameras, different chipsets and a plethora of different operating systems. With IOS there are different models but they all run the same OS and have only one manufacturer, Apple, so programmers have less headaches when it comes to writing apps. and making updates.

That being said, developing a Siren equivalent for Android would be a relatively easy task. Just about any Android device has the necessary hardware to run such an app. There are already dozens of scanner streaming apps. available for Android. It could be outsourced to a small developer for a really modest cost. For a small investment upfront Uniden could reap the benefit of satisfying existing customers and attracting new customers with features that are not available on any other scanner......yet:)

wise871

Database Admin
I know Uniden doesn't want to answer any question pertaining too the Siren App. They will avoid all questions regarding it. To prove this fact me and a friend asked different questions by different means. First we posted on the Uniden FB page. Users were first allowed to Post to Page but now all post must be approved prior to posting. I asked the same question above and my post has not been approved or even answered by the support person. I had a friend make a general comment on something else by Uniden and his post was approved right away. He email CS about a CB radio and got a reply back within 24 hours. but any questions on the Siren app is not answered. When are some of you going to wake up and see after 2+ years that the X36 line has become an money pit for Uniden.

Status
Not open for further replies.