How About Adding A Date Column?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

Each county has a list of trunking systems, so what about adding a column that shows the last updated date? Then you could easily look at the table and see if any local systems have had a recent update without having to click into each and every one.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Systems with updates within the past 24 hours are highlighted in green...past 7 days in yellow. Seems like that's more than sufficient to know when there was a recent update.

Or you can view the statewide list of trunked systems, sorted by last update: Florida Trunking Systems

You can also become a premium member, which allows you to have a customized RR home page where you can watch counties/systems, and that will show the same highlighting as well as the last updated dates.

CanesFan95

Well, that would work if you check every week. Otherwise, you'd miss the colors. I just thought of the idea of a date column. The last updated date you see when you click inside each system could also be shown outside in the table as another column and could make it a little easier. Especially for counties with a lot of systems.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I'm not opposed to the idea of adding the last update date column on the county pages, I'm just pointing out a few options to see the last updates.

The customized RR home page is really the best way to go, as you can keep track of any county or system or agency you want to in one spot. That as well as the ability to do advanced searches of the RRDB for 8.3 cents a day make the premium membership a pretty good bargain (as well as access to the Broadcastify archives, if you care about those).

ab5r

It's my understanding that database updates are ONLY made by user input and not some automatic means. Therefore, any system "may" be incorrect and should be taken as possibly incorrect.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
It's up to you the person on the ground monitoring to make sure to submit corrections and indeed the correct data to start with. It's you folks that help keep data correct. Most of us admins are volunteer and not Superman scanner heads that fly around in a cape with antenna on our chests and magically make data appear and be perfect all the time.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
In another thread I posted my update by date work-around. I overlooked it was available with my subscription.

Agreed database updates are by user input, but it is done with oversite and few incorrect inputs get in. Not to say none have, but like most public forums mistakes are jumped on like a 'hen on a June-bug' and don't last long. Just my take on using RR for many years.

P.S. I was addressing the comment in post #6.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
It's my understanding that database updates are ONLY made by user input and not some automatic means. Therefore, any system "may" be incorrect and should be taken as possibly incorrect.

Can you recommend a better database?

ab5r

fdxcon: Sorry I cannot. Changes are to too broad and fluid to keep up with!

CanesFan95

Yes, I know the data accuracy depends on scannists submitting stuff. I have a long list of submissions that I've made. I do my best with DSD+ to verify the accuracy of what I submit. But I think this is all beside the point of the original post. All I was really saying was it would have been nice to have a date column on the table of systems so you can easily seen when a system was last updated without having to click in and out of each one. That's not really related to accuracy of what people submit.

CanesFan95

It's up to you the person on the ground monitoring to make sure to submit corrections and indeed the correct data to start with. It's you folks that help keep data correct. Most of us admins are volunteer and not Superman scanner heads that fly around in a cape with antenna on our chests and magically make data appear and be perfect all the time.

I do appreciate the time spent volunteering to keep this website up (I put a thank-you note in a couple previous submissions). But why couldn't you be paid a little something for your time? Whoever owns the website should have plenty of business revenue to pay you guys. Think about all the thousands of subscriptions, ads, and maybe other side-deals on here. I'm surprised you don't get paid anything. But again, do appreciate your time.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I do agree a date added/modified column would be a nice addition, particularly for businesses, hospitals, etc who upgrade their radios or change operating modes every so often. I'm always finding licensees in my area who have made the transition from analog to DMR, NXDN, etc. Sorting the DB by date modified would make confirming or updating these entries much easier

zgraf

Each county has a list of trunking systems, so what about adding a column that shows the last updated date? Then you could easily look at the table and see if any local systems have had a recent update without having to click into each and every one.

From the sound of things, there is already a "LastUpdated" field in the database table (that is being used to do the green highlighting, etc.). Therefore one should be able to add that date field as an additional column in the grid -- assuming there is sufficient real-estate on the page to show the column. Simple. Shouldn't take a developer more than 15 minutes to implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.